MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

no but surley they could have cashed in on a whole bunch of replica props if these had of been as promised

im sure there would also be a market for 1/2 or 1/3rd size boards for those with smaller homes

Many of the design elements are the same on the Pit Bull so I think it's reasonable that it would have been made by Mattel. I would imagine that the Pit Bull brand would simply be used to market to the older kids/teens. With that in mind though now that I think about it they wouldn't market that on the kids version box, so I guess it makes sense.

It would be awesome if another company could get the rights to manufacture the Pittbull prop replica. Then maybe we could get a screen accurate one.

Many of the design elements are the same on the Pit Bull so I think it's reasonable that it would have been made by Mattel. I would imagine that the Pit Bull brand would simply be used to market to the older kids/teens. With that in mind though now that I think about it they wouldn't market that on the kids version box, so I guess it makes sense.

The way I always looked at it was that the magnet assemblies are like skateboard wheels. A million different people can make them, but they all basically look identical since there are only so many ways to design them to do that specific job.

That would explain 100% of the similarities between any board AND allow for the Pitbull, Enigma, Rising Sun, and NoTech* boards to have been made by other companies,

-Nick

*It's worth noting that there was already an officially sanctioned No Tech skateboard made by Valterra in the late 80's or early 90's...so clearly there are no issues with handing the non-Mattel boards over to another company.

The Pitbull is a top of the line Hoverboard, as Griff was a Pro Hoverboarder before he was banned from the league. Mattel makes the "Kiddie" boards as toys with gimmicks like the lenticular and bright colors, where the Pitbull is likely made by another company in a line of "Pro" boards.

Like Nick said, Hoverboards are like skateboards, dozens of companies make their own. So, theoretically any company could make replicas of Griff's gang's boards, unless Mattel's licence is for ALL boards, and not just the "Mattel" board.

The replica makers who thought Mattel would kills their market, have newfound security. The casual fans now have a Hoverboard they can own. (from Matty) And all of us ravenous nerds have a newfound passion for making something as true to the films as possible.

If I wanted a 100% accurate board I would have never ordered this one, I would have simply ordered one from someone here.
These are optimistic sentiments, but the problem is that even the most accurate (design-wise) fan made boards don't come anywhere near close to the fit and finish of what a toy company with proper manufacturing tools is able to produce. Look at Clock88's new custom board. You can tell he has put enormous amounts of time, money, research, and care into making the best possible board he can. From an accuracy standpoint, it's absolutely spot on. The measurements are exact, the proportions are correct, he even found the right lenticular. At the end of the day, though, it's still bits and pieces glued on to a foam core - it doesn't look like something that came out of a factory. And that's not a slight on his work at all; the reality is that any fan-made board is going to look that way. The Mattel board was the best we could hope for, from a collector's perspective.

Of course the boards used in the films were homemade as well, and thanks to hi-def transfers of the movies we can now pixel peep and scrutinize every last detail (much more than I'm sure the filmmakers ever intended). But there's a difference in showing someone a fan-made board (that, granted, is completely accurate) and something like the Mattel board which isn't spot on but actually looks "real." It's just something about the materials, the molds, the manufacturing process. No fan-made board I've seen comes anywhere close to the polish of what Mattel has created.

Of course, the Mattel board has countless flaws. And it's a damn shame, because they had every possible resource at their beck and call to make it right. They conveniently fall back on the "there were 30 different boards made for the films, so it's not possible to make a 100% accurate version" excuse, but NONE of the boards in the movie had those truncated and skewed graphics... NONE of the boards in the movie had magnet plates that large... NONE of the boards in the movie had a sunken foot plate. It is what it is... a lousy excuse.

I completely understand the fundamentalists who want a screen accurate board down to the smallest detail (even if it looks like it was put together in a garage), but I was excited at the proposition the first "real" hoverboard replica that was not only accurate in terms of proportions but looked like you could have purchased it at a store. Because of trademarks, Mattel is really the only company that can do this. And that's what they promised. Photos of screen-used boards in their advertising. Closeups of engineers with calipers measuring graphics to the smallest fraction. Excited representatives claiming everything would be there, including the lenticular detail. They charged a premium for it, but that was okay because we wanted the best.

Unless Mattel actually caves to the pressure and pent up anger from dissatisfied buyers, I'm afraid we're stuck with either a professional looking board with terrible accuracy or amazingly accurate boards that look like arts and crafts projects. I love my BTTF123* boards and until the Mattel board came out, they were as close as I could hope for an accurate replica. But now that I've seen what Mattel was capable of - and could have delivered - I'm left with a bunch of OK attempts and nothing that really feels spectacular. It's just another piece of plastic in the pile.

I will say, I'm incredibly impressed with how Bob Gale has reacted to the whole situation and my respect for him grows daily. I just wish they had kept in touch with him throughout the process because he wouldn't have attached himself to such a half-hearted attempt at the end of the day.

I never heard about Griff being a "pro hoverboarder" either. Did it say that in the film or are you just making up facts? :lol

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you mwhelan25, no offence. If you have seen what the GB guys do with fiberglass shells, you know that one person can "mass produce" a board, sure not foam or wood which are screen accurate but in fiberglass or resin, vac-u-form magnet setups, and mold and cast a rotatable foot pad. that said the hard ware could easily be fan made and still look pro, and you add Roland's graphics, and some fur and velcro, and lenticular if you can get it, and BAM! screen accurate, plus looks like something from a factory. :D

No fan-made board I've seen comes anywhere close to the polish of what Mattel has created.

You must not have seen razorsharp's photo board replicas. The main board is made from machined plastic, so looks every bit as real as the Mattel board. AND, the top graphic is accurate and printed in one piece and it has accurate-looking bottom magnet parts.

I personally don't call the wrinkles, bubbles and areas of detachment in the Mattel board graphics "polished".

The ONLY thing the Mattel board has going for it is the hollow plastic construction, which appears more "finished" than the surface of many foam boards. I give you that.

You must not have seen razorsharp's photo board replicas. The main board is made from machined plastic, so looks every bit as real as the Mattel board. AND, the top graphic is accurate and printed in one piece and it has accurate-looking bottom magnet parts.
I have not, but I would love to! Do you have pictures? All I've seen are the BTTF123 boards, the HoverboardUK boards, Clock's board, other forum member's boards... they all look the same to me. I'm afraid to even handle my BTTF123 boards because even though they LOOK awesome, they're extremely fragile. At least the Matty board can be played with a little.

I personally don't call the wrinkles, bubbles and areas of detachment in the Mattel board graphics "polished".

The ONLY thing the Mattel board has going for it is the hollow plastic construction, which appears more "finished" than the surface of many foam boards. I give you that.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the Mattel board. I'm extremely critical of it, and I was one of the first to point out the creases and bubbles. Obviously that's ridiculous. There are other parts of the board that really stand out, though, and are far higher quality than any other fan board I've seen. The plastic mold is the primary one, but it's just the way all of the other pieces fit together that make a difference. Do you have a Matty board? You'd see what I mean the first time you handle it. Compare the magnet plates or the battery cover to any of the replicas out there... they're just built so much better. Compare the print quality of the stickers to the homemade stuff. Screen accurate? Not even close. But I'm just talking about build quality. What I was hoping for was a marriage of accuracy that the fan made boards have and the build quality of the Mattel board. We certainly didn't get that from Matty Collector, and I'm skeptical we'll ever see that from a do-it-yourself'er. But if someone is making machined plastic replicas, I'm all ears. :)

Does anyone know if this Ebay Seller is on this board... they are offering up a couple of Pitbull Hoverboards:

MOD EDIT: Please do not post ebay links, thanks.

Mwhelan25, I think Mattel was quite capable as many other prop replica company have shown, that it is possible to mass produce an idealized very accurate replica.
Also, this board has an amazing talented pool of prop makers, some in the film/studio industry, who can easily produce super replicas on their own. To say they cannot replicate such an item is to not have a clue about this forum and membership. Please know what you are talking about before making your talking points.

Members here did supply Matty with accurate graphics and information where there was no reason not to produce a good board other than committing already to a poor item and not being willing to admit their mistakes, as well to spout back angrily at those who pointed out the bad path they were taking. It was straight out, poor management from the start that made this project fail. Not that Matty did not have the capability.

Worse yet, Matty responded today quite snarkly again, but ended up deleting their comments in the Matty hoverboard forum. Looks like they still have not accepted the reality of the situation.

If anyone would like to voice their complaints/comments/concerns to Mattel you can call them directly at (310)252-2000 ext. 3849

One good thing to come out of this is the fact that scalpers on ebay are having a heck of a time selling the Hoverboards. I haven't seen one going for more than retail!

Mwhelan25, I think Mattel was quite capable as many other prop replica company have shown, that it is possible to mass produce an idealized very accurate replica.
They didn't do it with accuracy, however, which kinda defeated the purpose (especially after they promised it over and over).

Also, this board has an amazing talented pool of prop makers, some in the film/studio industry, who can easily produce super replicas on their own. To say they cannot replicate such an item is to not have a clue about this forum and membership. Please know what you are talking about before making your talking points.
I apologize if anything I said came across as offensive; that was certainly not the intent. I'm sure there are plenty of people with the technical know-how to do these things, but usually cost is the biggest factor that gets in the way. If money was no object, we'd probably all do a lot of things we aren't doing now. :)

Obviously it's physically possible to make a board like we're talking about, but one needs the infrastructure to do it. Mattel already has the necessary machinery; that was all I was trying to say. I have no doubt in my mind that someone here COULD come up with something better than Mattel's offering, but it's been 23 years now and we haven't seen it yet... and a lot of the same people you're talking about lined up and placed preorders to buy what Mattel was offering (at a premium, no less). I have the utmost respect for everyone who clearly cares way more about this project than Mattel ever did (myself included), but most of the time it takes more than just your heart being in the right place to get it done.

Mc Don came on with a few past talking points about time, pointing out trouble makers and then deleted the post. Pretty much a repeat of the past.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back