MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Re: Mattel Hoverboard

I'm on the fence with this... Are these going to turn out nice or not? A lot of mixed opinions here.

I just can't do it. There are a few things that are bothering me about this.

The fact that this is such a simple prop that Mattel couldnt even get the prototype anywhere near accurate.

I dont forsee these being as expensive on the secondary market since you can buy more accurate replicas for close to the same price as these. Unlike the GB PKE meter replicas that were being sold for $400-$500 before Mattel put out their replica. Now people can't give their replica PKE meters away.

I have a felling that Mattel will drop the ball on this one. They are relying WAY too much on what they did with the PKE and Ghost Trap to impress fans rather than show us a good prototype. They didn't do that with the GB stuff. Hmmmm.

This prop will probably fun to play with but won't be impressive as a replica prop.

Since this prop can ONLY be made by Mattel, I have a feeling that they have come at this prop will an "Oh well, at least we tried" kind of attitude towards it.

Also the mere fact that they have no other BTTF props or figures planned bugs me a little.

Technically they didn't have any other GB props planned after the PKE meter until they did. And the trap came out very well in my opinion. I went ahead and placed an order.

Honestly though, these probably won't resell as well they are having an open preorder with no limit as far as I know. So there shouldn't be a 'shortage' in theory that makes them more desirable.

As an amusement, I checked eBay and one of these from the pre-order is already listed for $750 buy it now.

The members here never cease to amaze me. You guys have such keen eyes and attention for detail. Regardless if it's not 100% screen accurate, for $120 with sound FX, I'm in.

Once i've tracked down a supplier and got the correct colour yes :) I've got some at the minute, but not enough to do a run (only a couple of hoverboard's worth), here's a pic to show the colour

DSCF1194.jpg

To Razorsharp,

Let me just say that this photo excites me more than anything else in the thread. I have been trying to track down the right color lenticular for a while because no one can seem to get it right. I just don't want to deal with over sea's production and tracking down the right material is extremely time consuming. Great work!

PLEASE do a run of these boards. They would be fantastic.

I have compiled an image of three prop lenticular boards (plus a master board on the top which i think looks the best and most accurate). Each of them have a picture of the same board below but in different lighting. You can really see major differences from using a flash or a different camera white balance... even though it is the same damn board! I hope this helps.

Also, I understand your frustration when people say bttf123 makes better boards than you. I have to say, though, I agree with them in some respects (except for the lenticular and foam) BUT your boards are obviously way better manufactured and a great homage to the photoboard.

The things I like better about bttf123:

1. His magnets and clamps are more accurate in terms of size compared to the rest of the board. He was actually able to mold his from the original prop which really shows.
2. Your kicktail is too sharp. Bttf123 has a nice subtle gradation that is more accurate to most of the original props.
3. Your bottom edges (kicktail) should be "rounder" and more curved along with the graphic.
4. Your board looks a little thick width wise and I don't know why. I'm guessing you are using the right dimensions?

The reason I am telling you this is because it looks like you are on the way to making a perfect lenticular board! I just wanted to give you my two cents... take em or leave em'.

Awesome!

Clock88

Last edited:

What you see on the mattycollector website is only a MOCK UP. Scott Neitlich aka Toyguru just confirmed this, Bob Gale is consulting with Mattel and bringing one of the original hoverboard props.

Ask Matty - Back to the Future Hoverboard - Forum
Ask Matty - Back to the Future Hoverboard

Hero Hoverboard had a honeycomb reflective decal on the top/bottom/sides - Topic

Now that the cat is out of the bag, let me just say this. Mattel is really trying to make this Hoverboard as accurate as possible, they have not guaranteed lenticular material but they are trying to source it. I have known this from a source past couple of weeks now, but couldn't share it until now.

I am hoping many will be pleased and surprised when they unveil the Hoverboard at Comic Con.

Last edited:

Now I am not up on the details of this board but please help me to understand. Whenever I see the lenticular material it looks transparent. Now I know he dedication here so I'll just go ahead and assume someone's handled an original hero board and knows for sure.

Regardless here's hoping Matty gets it right. I was impressed with the PKE, but this is not like that project. They gave us something for under $100 w fully functional motors lights and sound that behaves like the original prop. No one had yet accomplished this feat unlicensed and how could they at that price.

So as a customer I feel the hoverboard is much more of a gamble. That and the wonderful handcrafted renditions here make me wonder if those sound effects are going to be enough to keep me from reselling.

Worth the risk. I preordered. Plus it'll look great next to my Madrid Valterra replica.

I do not own a single prop, nor have I previously had any interest in collecting (is that considered blasphemy here?), but if this turns out to be a moderately accurate replica, I think for this price my inner nerd (oh who am I kidding, I'm an outer nerd too) will get the better of me and I might buy one.

I don't even care that I have nowhere at all to put it. I'll just get rid of my bed. I'll be so excited by owning a hoverboard that I won't be able to sleep anyway.

I do not own a single prop, nor have I previously had any interest in collecting (is that considered blasphemy here?), but if this turns out to be a moderately accurate replica, I think for this price my inner nerd (oh who am I kidding, I'm an outer nerd too) will get the better of me and I might buy one.

I don't even care that I have nowhere at all to put it. I'll just get rid of my bed. I'll be so excited by owning a hoverboard that I won't be able to sleep anyway.

That's a great post! :)

-- Tim

Hero Hoverboard had a honeycomb reflective decal on the top/bottom/sides - Topic

Now that the cat is out of the bag, let me just say this. Mattel is really trying to make this Hoverboard as accurate as possible, they have not guaranteed lenticular material but they are trying to source it. I have known this from a source past couple of weeks now, but couldn't share it until now.

That is awesome news. I'm feeling better by the day about the money I dropped for preorder.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back