MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Would I have bought it if I'd have known it was like this from the start? Maybe, but not for $120.
Would I have bought it if it were a $40 toy? Probably.

My answer to both of your questions: No, I'm a prop (and prop replica) collector, not a toy collector. ;)

As for the board, if this entered the market any time before Profiles In History had the Mattel on display SDCC several years ago (the one that sold for 49K, and the release of BTTF on Blu-Ray. Everyone would probably had been ok with the release.... and then a few years later everyone would realize how it is not a 100 percent replica. But back then there weren't as many replicas out there on ebay, and Mattel would have had a larger audience. They should have done it back when the movie came out. If they did it then there wouldn't have been the criticism when the board was released.

My personal opinion as a owner of an original board and the replica, I feel they should never had marketed it as a replica period. If they marketed it just as a BTTF toy they would not have the problems they did. The problem is they are selling them as adult collectibles and as a screen accurate replica. They even used the images of the board that was sold at Profiles for 49k in their original marketing.

So as someone who owns original props and a replica DeLorean time machine am I happy that I have this board? It is not a total horrible disaster, but I am not happy at $120... It is not worth it, it should be $45.99 in my opinion.

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

It does look like the board. The sizing and basic colors are all there.

The only reason people are angry is they didn't get what they paid for, and were constantly misled.

For a $30-$60 toy it's actually pretty damn good.
For a $120 "prop replica" it's too inaccurate to be sold as such.

Taken out of the context of this whole scenario that happened, the product isn't the worst thing ever made, but for $120, I certainly expected a hell of a lot more.

Would I have bought it if I'd have known it was like this from the start? Maybe, but not for $120.
Would I have bought it if it were a $40 toy? Probably.

I wholeheartedly agree with this response. GoodGuy's claim that it looks nothing like the actual item is a little excessive.

Oh well, on the positive side of things, this will make for a very interesting modification project. As to how far we'll have to go, will be the question. I know there are many creative masterminds on this forum who can make the modifications successful.

My answer to both of your questions: No, I'm a prop (and prop replica) collector, not a toy collector. ;)

I was asking myself more than anything heh.

I'm not a toy collector either. But I adore Back to the Future. If I went into a toy store and saw a Mattel hoverboard that looked like this for $40, I'd buy it in a second.

I don't collect action figures or anything to display though, so I'm by no means a toy collector. I meant more for playing around with.

My point was more that it's a wonderful toy. But a terrible prop replica.

Edit:
For me a good comparison for this hoverboard is the newer FX toy lightsabers. Their hilts are the closest they've ever been to looking like the actual movie props in size and shape. They are even made with the led tube light things now that light up from bottom to top, which is awesome for a toy, considering they were once only on the collectible Master Replicas sabers.

But if I'd paid $100-$200 on one expecting it to be a metal prop replica with a stand, I'd be rather upset.

Last edited:
Anyone outside of the US (or specifically Australia) received there board yet, as there is no way to track shipping on International orders.

I haven't received mine. The email that was sent from Matty Collector says to allow up to 20 business days for it to arrive. The date of the email was the 5th of December 2012 so I don't expect it to arrive before January 1st 2013.

... Here are the dimensions of certain parts of the top of the board... if you need another dimension from what I have listed, please let me know.

http://tinyurl.com/bjlozfh

Today I've tried to rework my stunt board graphics. Unfortunately the dimensions on your image don't work very well with your large images of the board. Maybe there's still too much distortion.

Are you or anyone else willing to help me out with good scans (600 dpi or better) - no photos - of the original decals of Mattel's Hoverboard (should be eight different all together)? But you would have to remove them from the board for scanning. The first one that wants to help me, would get my replacement decals for free when they're finished.

The decal strip that goes between the velcro straps is upside down!

jJvht.png

got my hoverboards, only opened one of them, and got to work..... graphics removed, black hole painted and footpad upgraded...

photo3-1_zps7de851d5.jpg

Still have yet to receive mine (and wish I could have afforded two, so I could confidently modify one!).

But out of curosity what did you do to your footpad?

Is it the same footpad but covered in new material? Is it removable?

Replacement decals? About how much would a set cost? As long as I can afford it, i'd be all over that.

Not more than $30 shipped. I would offer my decals in the same eight parts as the original decals. But first I have to make the graphics and need help with some scans. Do you want to help me and get the decals for free? :)

Still have yet to receive mine (and wish I could have afforded two, so I could confidently modify one!).

But out of curosity what did you do to your footpad?

Is it the same footpad but covered in new material? Is it removable?

it's the same footpad, i took the footpad off, to get it off you have to open up the hoverboard itself, when you have the hoverboard apart, the footpad just lifts out, then the footpad itself has an inner disc underneath that you have to unscrew, the pink strap then just pulls out, so i used that as a template to make a new strap. I also took the existing green velcro off (as it's sat in a recess), filled the recess with thin plastic sheet then put 3 new strips of green velcro on the footpad, oh i also added white vinyl around the edge too, didn't take long but looks a lot better, i've also done the pink velcro but not got that attached yet as i'll put that on when i get the new decals

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back