MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I think you would have to make a new soundboard and maybe even a new speaker. Quite honesty the board is better with no batteries in it. Everyone that has heard mine thinks it sounds like ****, so i took them out.

Different strokes for different folks. I would much rather have velcro with the green color molded in and have to add my own glue to the back, as opposed to dyeing the velcro, but to each his own...

Right. That's why I decided to grab green and figure out the glue later. If I try to dye anything, I'd end up with green hands for 2 weeks having to buy more velcro.:rolleyes

The idle sound is the worst part. It sounds nothing like the movie. Maybe when Marty's doing 40mph in the tunnel is what they sampled.

If anyone is gutting their board and wants to sell their electronics let me know.

It was not the product that was promised, hyped and marketed by Scott Neitlich and Mattel.

When I was a little kid, I made a "camera" out of a cigar box with a toilet paper tube for a lens. I filled the box with peices of notepad paper with hand drawn stick figures. I cut a coin slit in the top of the box. I then went around the neighborhood asking anyone if they wanted their picture taken for .10 cents. One kid excitedly dropped a coin in the box and I "pretended" to take his picture and then handed him a piece of paper with a stick figure drawn on it and said "there you go." The kid felt so cheated and deceived he demanded his .10 cents back.

:lol:lol:lol + 100 thanks for the laugh :lol

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned so far. I opened the "user manual" today and was enraged at what was written on the very first page.

Unbelievable! Way to write *exactly the opposite* of what happened.

hbm1custom.jpg

hbm2custom.jpg

hbm3custom.jpg

As much as I love my board, I too agree that the strap is a joke. I either want to switch it out for fur or at the very least, resize the existing strap. How did you change out yours? I can't find the mounting screw for the green footpad...do I have to remove the magnet to find it?

-Jonaas
I did not take anything apart, but just cut Mattels strap at the top in the middle. I then cut off about 2-3" off. Next took one side of the strap at the bottom and put hot glue on the replacement strap, just about a inch to start. You want to pull back the strap that is going into the foot disk to place the new strap all the way down to the bottom and glue it in the little slots into the disk. This makes it look as if it is coming out of the foot disk and not just stuck on top. Work your way all the way up until you get about mid ways. Then start at the bottom of the other side strap and work your way until you get to the other strap. Cut off any extra and glue the end. Hope that helps, Thanks!

Why would you paint velcro green instead of just using light green velcro?
I have some ordered, a lime green velcro. I have painted it for years and you can get about any green you want, as with trying to find it on the market . I think what I have coming will work very nice and will post pics in a few days.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned so far. I opened the "user manual" today and was enraged at what was written on the very first page.

Unbelievable! Way to write *exactly the opposite* of what happened.

-snip-

hbm3custom.jpg

Movie soundtrack? :facepalm:thumbsdown

Is this speaker prob modifiable, is there a way to change it or simply sound deaden and remount the standard part to stop the reverberating rattle through the plastic. I'd take sound over a rattle and distortion

Don't we all! I wonder what Icons would have set the price at for theirs...?
I think they sold 2 boards around $2,000. US each. Not for sure, but think I read that on the web at one time. I have a full sheet and half left and some side strips . I did a full graphic lay out on the 1 full sheet and is not mounted on a board, but in a flat case I made. I have for years , been trying to find more of this same color, but seems the only place to get it will be in China. They are making tons of plastics like this in every color and style. This is the Floating Honeycomb. Everyone calls it Bubbles, but it looks like pink pearls , not bubbles at all.

Mine arrived today, with mini hoverboard. Packaging decent, little ding at the corners. Hoverboard did have some air bubbles, but it looks like I've been able to smooth them out. No peeling seen yet.

And yes, maybe Matty is splitting hairs on the tape; it may not be authentic "Scotch" tape, but it is clear adhesive tape joining the two separate sticker pieces on top near the swiveling foot board.

Once I figured out the stand, it holds it pretty well. Haven't put the batteries in yet, and from the comments here, It sounds like I don't want to.
Tried to "glide" it on the thin carpet of my "Ready Room", and it doesn't really go far. I'll try the thick plush carpet later. Looks like some scuffing on the "magnets" before I even tried gliding it.

Knowing the inaccuracies that people have pointed out here in regards to font size, foot rest placement, etc, has been disappointing. Finding out some people got really poor quality control on their boards also sucks.

For me, the lack of lenticular or some attempt at holographic foil to make the board really "pop" is what bothers me!

The only thing that bothers me more is the responses (or lack thereof) from MattyCollector and that Scott dude who reminds me of the Iraqi Information Minister (Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf) who was giving press briefings during the 2003 Iraq invasion. His complete disconnect from reality was comical, but also sad. Alternately, Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House ("ALL IS WELL!!!")

I think I'll keep it, but maybe unload the mini hoverboard on ebay to offset the cost of this...

Mattel seriously needs to hire some bonafide project managers for their company. Because this Hover Board, the MattyCollector Voltron and other products are a complete joke.

I dont think it worth buying as the hoverboard in my opinion is very poorly built and looks nothing like the actual item. :unsure

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

It does look like the board. The sizing and basic colors are all there.

The only reason people are angry is they didn't get what they paid for, and were constantly misled.

For a $30-$60 toy it's actually pretty damn good.
For a $120 "prop replica" it's too inaccurate to be sold as such.

Taken out of the context of this whole scenario that happened, the product isn't the worst thing ever made, but for $120, I certainly expected a hell of a lot more.

Would I have bought it if I'd have known it was like this from the start? Maybe, but not for $120.
Would I have bought it if it were a $40 toy? Probably.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back