Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

...and this is why I have to go the DIY route. I don't have $500 lying around.

Capture.JPG

I know I lurk a lot here, but I did want to thank everyone who has offered up pics and info on the board that has helped me make my own budget built Valterra deck.
I only had a couple hours a day for less than two weeks, so I could only get it close, not as accurate as I would like if given more time.

Regards,
Marty McFly Dallas Cosplay
#mcflydallas
www.fb.com/mcflydallas

Attachments

• 20150324_183823.jpg
    20150324_183823.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 20150324_192039.jpg
    20150324_192039.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 20150327_231354.jpg
    20150327_231354.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 285
  • 20150327_231453.jpg
    20150327_231453.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 20150328_003247.jpg
    20150328_003247.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 290
  • 20150328_003313.jpg
    20150328_003313.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 363
  • 20150328_004323.jpg
    20150328_004323.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 316
So far I'm not having any luck finding someone to print the graphics on my board. Most of the sites I've found that do print on boards only print on the boards they sell -- none of which are the correct shape. :unsure

I might need a plan B. Anybody out there have any thoughts or suggestions? I'd really prefer to get the graphics painted on, as opposed to using vinyl.

Any updates? I'm with pandatrooper on the stencil idea. Lay it over the boatd and spray paint it or fill in the splatter by hand.

Last edited:
That will likely be the route I end up taking. The project is on the back burner as I have a few other financial commitments at the moment. That said, I did find a set of silver Invader trucks, which I spray painted black and applied the copers to. When I get the stencils done for the board, I'll have them whip up some Madrid stickers for the copers as well.

IMG_3829.JPGIMG_3855.JPG

Last edited:
That will likely be the route I end up taking. The project is on the back burner as I have a few other financial commitments at the moment. That said, I did find a set of silver Invader trucks, which I spray painted black and applied the copers to. When I get the stencils done for the board, I'll have them whip up some Madrid stickers for the copers as well.

View attachment 475872View attachment 475873

Did you just buy aftermarket red things? Sorry I don't k?ow what they're called lol

Did you just buy aftermarket red things? Sorry I don't k?ow what they're called lol

Bushings. Yeah, I bought a set of Venom bushings in red. The trucks came with black bushings and black pivot cups. I figured the red ones are a closer match. I couldn't find any red/orange ones, nor could I find white pivot cups.

Bushings. Yeah, I bought a set of Venom bushings in red. The trucks came with black bushings and black pivot cups. I figured the red ones are a closer match. I couldn't find any red/orange ones, nor could I find white pivot cups.

Are all pivot cups and bushings the same size?

I mistakenly bought a few white cups tgat were not the correct size. The kingpin bushings tend to run standard diameters but some types are taller than others.

I think it will be safer to just paint the stock bushings and pivot cups than to accidentally buy the wrong sizes. And what is the exact color of the bushings? Someone said in the movie they were like a red orange.

It was me who said that. If you go back and look at my images in this thread there is a clear shot of the vintage Sure-Grip bushings. I tend to trust the daylight outdoor shots from the movie for the best color representation and they look right.

That said, did the movie board have these same trucks? It is hard to know. There isnt a still moment to see any writing on the trucks in the opening sequence, that I know of. I have also seen three styles of Sure-Grips mounting plate. I recently had Bob Schmelzer's attention on Instagram but I think I came at him too hard with questions. All he has now is the 25th anniversary replica. Other manufacturers of the era used white pivot cups, Trackers had them but their bushings were more of true primary red, and once I spotted a Valterra Meltdown on eBay that had trucks with white cups and red bushings.

The best evidence that the movie board has replaced trucks is the nuts used to hold them, they are zinc and not black like they are on every Valterra. Obviously the movie deck was redone (grip tape) and of course they want to put their stuntman on a quality product. Good evidence that they are the Sure Grip 800s is the hanger. The exposed axle is shorter than other brand so when you tighten the lock nut onto the wheel bearings you will not have an excess of threads sticking out too far. Using these trucks was the only way to get the correct wheelbase that I found.

I plan to get a real Valterra splatter deck and correct the blue splatter to a magenta. I'm just having a hard time finding the right color paint.

It appears as though the vintage decks are silk screened and I have seen two shades of the 'purple' layer. Depending on how much paint was used over the black base can effect the colors opacity/brightness. It seems the later Valterra splatter decks used a more muted tone. I used to think these were sun-faded versions until I grabbed one that still matched under the riser.

Try the Folk Art brand craft paint in "Magenta" it is nearly a dead on match of the original color on my vintage board, only short the gloss finish.

It appears as though the vintage decks are silk screened and I have seen two shades of the 'purple' layer. Depending on how much paint was used over the black base can effect the colors opacity/brightness. It seems the later Valterra splatter decks used a more muted tone. I used to think these were sun-faded versions until I grabbed one that still matched under the riser.

Try the Folk Art brand craft paint in "Magenta" it is nearly a dead on match of the original color on my vintage board, only short the gloss finish.
Was a 100% accurate vector for the bottom ever made?

SterioDesign and I created Vector files for the top and bottom of the board. Credit goes mainly to him, as he was able to knock them out in quick order.

Do you have the file for the bottom? I could only find the top. But the top purple needs to be a light magenta.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back