Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

Yes, exactly.

I get great results with Rustoleum Professional out of the rattle can. If you can give the part plenty of cure time it really is super tough. See who's got better shipping rates on your side of the water.

I'd rather buy the black one though, I don't have much space in my flat to spray anything, especially stuff like metal where you need to let it cure outside most of the tile (due to the chemicals ><)

so is 7" better or 8"? XD

But that's the fun of it! Fumes.

Madrid probably has them powdercoated, a professional job for sure. The 800s are the 8" and that's what you want to match up just right with those Madrid FLY wheels you got.

But that's the fun of it! Fumes.

Madrid probably has them powdercoated, a professional job for sure. The 800s are the 8" and that's what you want to match up just right with those Madrid FLY wheels you got.

Thank you again by the way!! (Y) Okay then :p I really want them, I wish they would sell them to the UK :x

What I am wondering now is which set of mounting plates to use. Sure-Grip confirmed the "Invader S/G" plates came later, but could not be specific.

Well technically they are both the same brand from the same company, just a different version of the same exact product.

Factory Valterra trucks do not appear on the movie board. They never made an axle size that matches.

Here's another mystery. The deleted scene skateboard has the stickers where you would not expect.

I had read that the board changed when they transitioned from Stoltz to Fox. But then why do Stoltz and Schmelzer hold boards that match all the scenes in the final film?

Reached out to Bob Schmelzer on the right but have not yet had a reply.

Here's another mystery. The deleted scene skateboard has the stickers where you would not expect.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn227/budmataul/image_zps354ccc47.jpg

I had read that the board changed when they transitioned from Stoltz to Fox. But then why do Stoltz and Schmelzer hold boards that match all the scenes in the final film?
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn227/budmataul/image_zpscb00b277.jpg

Reached out to Bob Schmelzer on the right but have not yet had a reply.

Awesome! I hope you'll get a reply :D

I know it's an old post but I am new to the RPF and thought I would share. About 8 years ago I purchased a "Series 1" Valterra Splatter deck. The bottom of the deck is in very good used condition but the middle/top is pretty warn. It still has the original grip tape also in very good used condition. However, all the hardware is pieced together. Over the years I was able to acquire original Madrid stickers… with exception of the ones for the copers. To this date it is the ONLY "Series 1" (No shadowing effect on bottom splatter - magenta only) deck I have come across. I will post pics this weekend.

I have no knowledge of skateboards (how to assemble or ride :p) and had not done anywhere near the research you have to get accurate components. The trucks/copers/wheels I have look the part but are def not film accurate. I did eventually figure out how to assemble everything and applied the OEM Madrid stickers. The rails, nose protector and tail pad were all missing when I got it. It had a little more wear and tear around the edges of the board than what I liked. The only touch up I did was add a little black to the edges to slightly reduce the weathered look. I didn't attempt to fix the top graphics as I was scared I would make it worse.

As it sits now, even with the inaccurate components, it looks like it rolled off the set of the film. Maybe one day soon I will seek out the components you mentioned in this post and truly have a gem.

Stay tuned for pics

Any idea where the OP got the stickers from that goes on the bottom of the board? Just purchased an original 1985 deck and wanted to convert it. Many thanks

I purchased all vintage madrid stickers on ebay. It took a while to acquire all of them but they do turn up from time to time. The only one that has escaped me are the B&W copper stickers. A member here had created a replica of those and was gracious enough to offer me a set.

There is a correct Madrid banner on the bay right now for the top of the deck. Just search Madrid skateboard sticker.

I attempted to pick up a vintage Madrid Valterra board on eBay today, but after the bidding went to $355, I'm contemplating making a board instead.

Madrid sells a "vintage" style board that appears to be the same shape as the Valterra. I thought perhaps it could be sanded down, painted black, and then have the splatter graphics applied via adhesive vinyl? Does anybody out there have the graphics saved in a manner that would be conducive to reproducing in this manner?

Below is the board I thought I would use for the base. Thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think there's any graphics of it out there. But I can take a picture of mine if you want, that could do it eventually. I'll try I take a picture tomorrow if the sun shows up XD
I also have a scan of the stickers if you want :)

Turns out one of the other forum members DID have his own board graphics printed up. There's a post about it in the "Let's see your Marty McFly costumes" section. It doesn't look like it's possible to PM him, but I quoted his message. Hopefully he'll respond. The posts were from several years ago.

I did some research and I now have a shopping list of parts I would need to build a "budget" replica of the board. My stepdad, who's good with woodworking, could probably help me get the board sanded down, painted and drilled. It wouldn't be vintage or as accurate as the boards mentioned earlier in this thread, but it'd be a decent and functional facsimile for cosplay purposes :cool

Thanks for the offer, Emma. If I don't hear back from the other fellow, I'll take you up on the offer to photograph it and send over the sticker graphics :)

You could always just splatter up your own blank deck and handpaint the VALTERRA in the middle. It might be easier than trying to replicate the splatter pattern exactly.

You could always just splatter up your own blank deck and handpaint the VALTERRA in the middle. It might be easier than trying to replicate the splatter pattern exactly.

User CureMode reached out to me and is going to send me the graphics he used for his replica. I did consider finding a stock graphic of paint splatters to use, and then just redraw the Valterra logo, but I guess that won't be necessary now :) He used custom-printed adhesive vinyl for his, and the results look pretty good. The photos below are from one of his posts:

bttf24.jpgbttf25.jpg

I thought he did a good job. Plus, it would save me the added trouble of finding the stickers :D

It is okay but the colour is meant to be some sort of fuschia pink. And the splatters are not too accurate. Neither are the trucks. But it's just me being picky haha :p

It is okay but the colour is meant to be some sort of fuschia pink. And the splatters are not too accurate. Neither are the trucks. But it's just me being picky haha :p

I'll be able to adjust the purple in Photoshop. No, it won't be dead on, but it'll be perfectly fine for cosplay purposes. We can't all be as accurate as you, dear Emma -- not without emptying our bank accounts at least ;)

I'll be able to adjust the purple in Photoshop. No, it won't be dead on, but it'll be perfectly fine for cosplay purposes. We can't all be as accurate as you, dear Emma -- not without emptying our bank accounts at least ;)

Well I had my Valterra for $50 :thumbsup xD

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back