Marty McFly Safari Shirt - Back to the Future

If you are looking for accuracy, forget spoonflower. They are 18-19 lines per section. The Shah shirt is 15.

The Spoonflower pattern has 17 lines and the 2010 Shah Safari shirt has 18 lines. Spoonflower is inaccurate, too, but still closer to the screen used shirt (16 lines) than the new Shah Safari shirt.

The Spoonflower pattern has 17 lines and the 2010 Shah Safari shirt has 18 lines. Spoonflower is inaccurate, too, but still closer to the screen used shirt (16 lines) than the new Shah Safari shirt.

Spoonflower's website has 18-19. I counted the lines both horizontal and vertical. My Shah Safari shirts have 15. I assure you. Mine are not from the 2010 run.

Spoonflower--straight from their website, 18 lines.
spoonflower stolen design 2 (2).png spoonflower stolen design 2 (1).png

7gMKyJT2EdA.jpgdnUmMhKhu6s.jpg-hI6WhSDGZ4.jpg-PgGkzbtOiY.jpgRD7VRv_erns.jpgSALHYX3sB-4.jpgVLK5a_sljuo.jpgVQZeTSUsOss.jpg

Still doesn't look like the Shah Safari shirt that BTTF Forum posted to me. The lines are much lighter on the screenused one, even on the black and white photo. Then there's the15 lines vs the 16 on the screenused...

BTTF Forum, when were the shirts you have produced as you say they aren't from the 2010 reissue patch?

Interesting, there are a few areas that are 16 while most of them are 15. The ones with 16 are only so because of tiny nubs extending out of the squares.

Nice shot! Thanks for sharing it.

As for the color, the lines could have been thinner or Marty's shirt could have simply started off darker and just been washed heavily. The fabric is clearly "fuzzier" in the higher res shots which would indicate it's been washed many times.

-Nick

My Shah Safari shirts have 15. I assure you. Mine are not from the 2010 run.

I'll just preface by saying I'm not looking to argue with you, so it would be great if that could be avoided, and I'm sure you're going to tell me all about your business dealings with Shah Safari, but I must reiterate here that I've been looking for this shirt for over a decade and have looked at hundreds if not thousands of different Shah Safari shirts in that time, and I can say with absolute certainty that they were not using the tag pictured inside your shirt prior to the 2000s. I'm not saying that your shirt is from the 2010 run, but it definitely isn't from the 1980s either.

As for the color, the lines could have been thinner or Marty's shirt could have simply started off darker and just been washed heavily. The fabric is clearly "fuzzier" in the higher res shots which would indicate it's been washed many times.

This thought had definitely crossed my mind a bunch of times, I even washed one of my repro Shah shirts like 50 times trying to see if that would replicate it haha. I really doubt this theory though because unless this shirt was really old and laying around Universal wardrobe dept, it likely would've been purchased (in multiples) very near when filming started, and the fact that it looks consistent throughout the film tells if probably looked like that new off the rack.

As far as the correct number of lines and spacing and them appearing lighter/gray on screen, I think there's a few elements at play…

We don't know the exact measurements of the pattern. So even if Spoonflower were to recreate the fabric with the correct number of lines (which I honestly hope they don't until an original has been located) we don't know if they are supposed to be say .25 inches wide or .30 inches wide. The diagonal lines on the original shirt also appear to be much thinner and not as bold as any replicas I've seen, which combined with the correct size and spacing, could be contributing factors as to why the lines may appear to be a solid gray when viewed from a distance.

We don't know the exact measurements of the pattern. So even if Spoonflower were to recreate the fabric with the correct number of lines (which I honestly hope they don't until an original has been located) we don't know if they are supposed to be say .25 inches wide or .30 inches wide. The diagonal lines on the original shirt also appear to be much thinner and not as bold as any replicas I've seen, which combined with the correct size and spacing, could be contributing factors as to why the lines may appear to be a solid gray when viewed from a distance.
Scaling the pattern off of the button from your previous picture shouldn't be too difficult.

The shirt pictures I posted are currently available shirts. I no way did I ever say they were from the 80's. They were done post 2010 anniversary run. As for a specific date of production, I'm sorry but I don't know.

As for the fabric I was told that the current shirt is a much finer grade of cotton that what they were getting in the 80's. That would explain the fuzzyness some people see.

All studio films use some kind of filtering when they shoot. This changes colors, lighting, shadowing, and clarity.

The yellow tag used today was not used in the 80's. In the 80's Shah Safari changed tags often, at least once a year.

I would use the button to do scaling as well, as buttons on shirts like that are pretty much the same size. I have done that and I also used the fingers on the shoulder in European vacation get get approximate sizing.

I would like to see a count on the screen used picture. I dont have the clarity to do that.

But if that shirt was indeed one of the several screenused ones and screencaps from the movie are in higher resolution, then what more info can this particular shirt give us? Unless it's screenmatched?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back