Man Of Steel Suit Build (Pic Heavy)

Hi MOS, you asked about my suit...It was a quick build. I used all cloth material to make it. For the "S" logo I had a sports shop make a patch out of tackle twill. Same thing NFL logos are made out of. Here is a fuller pic...

7595489414_0c2cce1dfa_z.jpg

That is an awesome suit. Best 'Man of steel' I've seen so far!

Hi MOS, you asked about my suit...It was a quick build. I used all cloth material to make it. For the "S" logo I had a sports shop make a patch out of tackle twill. Same thing NFL logos are made out of. Here is a fuller pic...

7595489414_0c2cce1dfa_z.jpg

That's extremely accurate! Even using all cloth it looks awesome! It looks like you perfectly matched the weight of the cape. Can I asked what material you used for the cuffs and such? They also seem to be correct thickness.
You're also built well which helps... Thanks for the great pic!

I'm currently still struggling with the puff paint... I've almost got it. I'll post pictures soon!

Can I ask what you guys did/plan to do for attaching cape?

Personally, I planned on either going Neodymium Magnets or Velcro. I don't know about attaching magnets to cloth so I'm thinking Velcro on the shoulders and on the cape. I think I could pleat the cloth on a strip of Velcro to give it some of the "robustness" the fabric seems to have where the cape meets the suit.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Another thought:
The only reason I mention magnets is because I have experience in mixing velcro and lycra. If you miss the velcro or accidentally hit the lycra it really rips it up.

I had Velcro on my superman returns suit, and that was a disaster after a couple of days, it didn't help that it was a pleather material so it was heavy already.

You were pretty close on the pattern, but if you look at the RPF gallery for MOS you can see the small design touches at the bottom, that would be a lot of work to add each little piece. but look cool as well.

I had Velcro on my superman returns suit, and that was a disaster after a couple of days, it didn't help that it was a pleather material so it was heavy already.

You were pretty close on the pattern, but if you look at the RPF gallery for MOS you can see the small design touches at the bottom, that would be a lot of work to add each little piece. but look cool as well.

I think velcro isn't a good idea too. If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that the Thor cape in the movie attached via magnets.

Thanks for the tip!
My master plan: After buying your suit pattern and printing it I'd measure your "detail pieces" and model one of each from clay. From there I'd cast a mold and spend the entire winter making a million urethane pieces to attach to the Lycra. My puff paint tests went really poorly and I think these shapes are too complicated to do in puff paint for a novice like myself.

Thanks guys for the compliments. I'll try to get some pics up on the specifics. The cuffs and all the body accents are navy spandex. After we laid out the pattern we user a thicker material (not sure what it was) then wrapped the navy spandex around it. The pattern was then attached to the suit using cloth glue that could withstand dry cleaning. The cuffs were a bit different. As they were done the same way but attached to an under cuff that was the same color as the suit. They are separate from the suit all together. And I just slid them on.
As for the cape it's made of gaberdine to get it a better weight. It's attached with clips and velcro.
Pics would be a lot better...I'll see what I can do to post some........as long as you don't mind...I don't want to push in on your thread :)
Thanks,
-Trey :D

Just fyi on the cape mount velcro issue, I second that velcro by itself has its limitations. I just put velcro on my UD TDK jacket for the cape and the weight of the cape pulls the corners of the velcro strips up and exposed. My solution to this was using earth magnets to form another mounting method to keep the cape pulled down and not expose the velcro corners. The thickness of the TDK jacket makes it hard to just rely on magnets (unless you get some massive earth magnets) but the combo of magnets and velcro did the trick great for me.

Having said that, the way TRIP3 has aligned the velcro on his setup looks like they'd work fine, probably depends on how heavy the cape is. The MOS costume is probably going to be thinner than a leather TDK jacket so magnets alone will likely do the trick.

Yeah this cape on my MOS is not too heavy. I was a bit worried about the clips solution but it worked perfect. All the weight is on the clips and the velcro is just used to hold the front down. On mine there is no weight pulling the velcro at all...

TRIP3, you're not pushing in at all! It's beneficial to everyone to see how other people have done it. Those cuffs look great!

Your method of cape attachment is very interesting. Did you ever have problems with the velcro accidentally catching the fabric and fraying it? The clip is a great idea to take the weight off the velcro.

ManOfSteel, luckily I never had a problem with the velcro chewing up the fabric. Not sure if this was just luck or if it because everything lines up just right.

TRIP3-

Let me know when that costume is headed to the Junkyard cause you want to start on a new one. I'm very interested in it.

-Ash

Is it okay to use the Alpha's that are posted on this thread? it would be very usefull in Zbrush. i am fairly new and i dont want to step on anyones toes. thanks

I don't know if the helps, but you could use the pattern for the shape of the suit to cut out thin sheets of clay, then press a 3D version of your pattern template and press it into the clay, make a mold and cast a sheet of urethane (or some other rubber) and glue it on to a lycra or neoprene under suit.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back