make a SS sandcrawler!

Here are the reference images I cobbled together awhile back. Turns out that most of them were from http://www.starwarz.com/modelshop/bench/sandcrawler.htm. You can visit the site to see those. Here are the rest some of which I believe I got here as well.

crawlerbits1ot9.jpg

crawlerbits2ch5.jpg

crawlerbits3po3.jpg
Hi where did you get these pics for parts where is this site ?

Re: Picture for color legend

Originally posted by N werke:

Here's the pic:

www.q-net.net.au/~nipngnwm/SW/crawlerbits1.jpg

Legend as follows:
1) Probably the interior fueltank top from the Airfix Saturn V, upside down.
2) This is the conical interstage part from the Saturn – between stage 2 and stage 3
3) Probably a truck fuel tank half
4) the famous Revell 1/32 F4 Phantom engine halves
5) The very bottom of the Saturn’s body – the part with the four rocket engine fairings.
6) Half a Saturn first-stage engine
7) The towing cable from a Tamiya German tank, probably Panther or King Tiger.
AMT truck kit exhaust manifold
9) Unknown aircraft landing gear part.
10) Another conical section of Saturn V
11) AMT truck kit fuel or coolant tank half
12) Some truck engine or other! (Looks kinda old)
13) I think maybe one of those control panels from the big 1/25 Centurion tank kit? Haven’t got one, just a guess.
14) Specially-made fully functional tread units. DEFINITELY not salvaged from ANY tank kit! The closest resemblance is to heavy mining equipment treads, not tanks!
15) AMT truck kit drive shaft with universal joints.
16) Front half (intake) of Rolls-Royce Pegasus engine from Airfix 1/24 Harrier kit
17) Rear half of Pegasus engine (both parts 16 and 17 are horizontally split as kit parts)
1Bits of kit tank treads.

Pic 2:

1) These look rather like the undersides of AMT car kit v-8 engines. Just speculation.

2) These are the commander’s cupolas from a couple of Tamiya Panther A’s – the old 60s/70s kit not any of the new ones! Mind you, any reasonably similar Panther cupolas should do well enough.

3) I really thought these were also Panther parts – gun mantlets to be precise, but if they are they’re not 1/35 as they’re too small. They could be 1/72 or 1/76 mantlets but half of them don’t have the apparent gun base, so I’m not sure now.

4) Panther again – I’m pretty sure the basic part here is a Panther engine deck minus the radiator grilles. If so it does have a number of other parts attached on top of it.

Pic 3:

1) Anyone know what these little tetrahedral doodads are?

2) These look like driving rods from the old Airfix steam loco kits eg the Harrow. Mine is packed away at the moment so I can’t tell! Anyone?

Airfix 1/144 Saturn V
Tamiya 1/35 PzKf V Panther
AMT 1/24 Semi Truck

That unknown landing gear is from a 1/32 F-4J Phantom, same kit the engines come from

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I believe parts 1 and 2 were ID'd as being from an old Airfix Hovercraft kit. Similar to the Aurora Sealab, they were rare even back then.

I'll have to dig up my notes.

Gene

Has anyone ID'd those 'tetrahedral doodads'?
I noticed some pieces like them in the Airfix 1/72nd LCVP Landing Craft, but way too small, so I went looking for something similar in 1/35th and found these:

Kit #35027.

Has anyone ID'd those 'tetrahedral doodads'?
I noticed some pieces like them in the Airfix 1/72nd LCVP Landing Craft, but way too small, so I went looking for something similar in 1/35th and found these:

Kit #35027.

Yes, those are the ones. Nice job!

I saw it when visiting Boston but was too rushed to make a photo survey. Where is the sandcrawler on display now - and future destinations?

To answer my own question - The crawler is in Fort Worth now, but the exhibit ends tomorrow. Next stop is Chicago, Oct thru Jan. Then the last stop is Philadelphia, Feb thru May.

Hoofin'! :D:thumbsup
(16) Front half (intake) of Rolls-Royce Pegasus engine from Airfix 1/24 Harrier kit
(17) Rear half of Pegasus engine (both parts 16 and 17 are horizontally split as kit parts)
Same as on the AT-AT, right? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all!

I got :
- Tamiya sherman 1/16 scale kit.
- Airfix Apollo saturn V 1/144
- Airfix Saro SR-N1 prototype hovercraft 1/72
- Revell phantom F-4E 1/32
- Airfix harrier 1/24

and buying more!!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back