Magnetic Shield Mount for Captain America Shield

I like all the ideas on the thread and really like the electromagnet idea but I'm wondering if anyone has "field tested" this to see how well the magnets hold up when being worn or at a convention? I've spent the better part of a week trying to figure out a mechanical solution to rigging the shield to the harness that stable and easily removable.

I'll be checking in to see what ideas come out of here.

While I was reading through this thread, Dub's solution got me thinking. While the 150 lbs actuating magnet might not be the most cost effective, an would certainly only be realistic with a pretty expensive shield, it does seem like the sort of solution that would result in a shield that would go nowhere when you didn't want it to and yet still move freely when you did.

So, in the spirit of true over-engineering, I started wondering if you could control the state of the actuating magnet with something like a solenoid to push or pull the lever.

The problem of proximity sensing could be solved by running a wire through glove that completes a circuit when it comes in contact with the shield. When the glove comes in contact with the shield the mechanism trips and flips the lever on the magswitch/actuating magnet. By only flipping the lever once per contact you could avoid the magnet returning to a default "on" and reattaching to the shield each time you tried to get it off. This also avoids making you walk around with a very powerful unshielded (no pun intended) magnet on your back.

The power consumption of the system would be very low, as really the only power expenditure is the device that flips the lever. The battery could be fairly small, yet still last for a while. And if worst comes to worst and the system dies, just do it by hand.

The problem with this system is that something like a solenoid would reset itself back to a default position. This means that even if you could get the shield off of your back before the magswitch turned back on, you would still be walking around with a very large, very powerful magnet on your back. As this could potentially pose a problem certain instances (whenever you are next to metal), this is a problem that would need to be resolved.

This is where I need some input for y'all. I know that there must be much easier and simpler ways of flipping a lever than a solenoid, but I'm drawing a blank on this one. Any thoughts on devices that fit the bill?

If you got something that had no default state you probably wouldn't even need a micro controller, and this solution seems to me like one of the best ways to replicate Cap's movie magic in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I would like to see a more refined version of a magnetic mount. Walking around w an unshielded magnet just seems like a problem waiting to happen. I had mine fail at holding my shield but work too well on a photo op :s sorry agent carter. Has anyone seen the Thor's hammer prank video? Seems like with some engineering you could come up with something safe and functional.

Okay, so it seems like we have quite a few magnet aficionados here in this thread - I'd like to tap your collective wisdom.

In my singular wisdom, I have decided to run a trail marathon in a Captain America costume. Since I'm going to be running 26.2 miles over the river and through the woods, scrambling over rocks and trees, I have decided to run with my Rubies costume shield instead of one of the heavier options.

Since trail marathons don't have as many hydration stations as regular marathons, I'm going to be running with a Camelbak hydration pack. I want to get my magnets set up on that.

I was thinking two moderately strong magnet pairs lined up on my pack would work - I'd be able to swing it back over my shoulder and have it click in once they lined up, and then I could twist the shield off when I needed it. I also need to figure out a way to make the magnets removable, at least from the pack.

Thoughts from the crowd on how I could attach the magnets to both the shield and the pack? Feasibility of the idea? Problems I'm not seeing right now? Links to threads where somebody has already done this?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back