Magnetic Shield Mount for Captain America Shield

150lb actuated magnet? That can't be cheap. Of course, with the full-on heavy shield you are planning, it also cannot be very light.

Do you have a pattern from your leather harness?

The harness in that photo is just some guitar straps I carved up with a fabric cutter. The magnet was just under $70 shipped. I just couldn't find a way to safely carry the very expensive spun aluminum shields with a magnet / magnets that I could also get off my back without a fight. It was either easy off with a high risk of the magnet failing while walking around a convention and bumping into me OR a magnet so strong it could take the bumps but required the bobcat and two spotters to remove. This magswitch solved the problem, and given the cost of a nice shield, it was a no brainer.

After I finish my new harness and rig up the heavy shield I'll make a more detailed post for anyone interested.

Final result: Success! well- sort of. After everything dried, I decided to test it out. I strapped the harness to my back and tried to attach the shield. I could feel the magnet pulling at it, but it wouldn't stick. I took it off and tried to put it together without it on my back so I could see what was going on. The magnets have to line up perfectly with each other to get it to stay, and when it sticks, it REALLY sticks! I was using duck-tape as a magnetic buffer just so I could pull them apart easier and it worked pretty well. I'm starting to get the hang of putting it on my back, but it takes practice. Oh, and MAKE SURE ITS ACTUALLY ATTACHED. I thought it was and I let go. Guess what? It wasn't, and I was not wearing any socks or shoes. Yeah, Ouch. But Overall, a pretty good result. I'm hoping to get better at attaching it before Comic-con. The second gif is me trying to shake it off, it really stays on and it takes some force to get it off
The first 3 photos are GIFS, you have to click for them to play.
View attachment 357920View attachment 357922View attachment 357921View attachment 357923

that looks fantastic, i can't wait to try something like this on my aluminum spun shield. also, nice shimmy :)

I think HPF said he used Duct Tape, which is a fine idea because it is thin and slippery. You honestly can use anything that creates about 3/32" gap between the magnets which will not itself become magnetized. The point here is to get the max magnetic attraction without allowing the two magnets to touch and form a bond that requires a bobcat and two spotters to separate.

A large copper plate would do it; putting the outer magnet behind a (thin) leather pocket would be good. I have some scrap plastic sheets that I think would work. You just have to find something that doesn't look like the dog's breakfast when it is fully assembled.

Would an aluminum plate also work?

It's funny you should ask that. The chemistry/physics of the thing says "yes," but I think that you;re going to have a hard time finding an aluminum plate which doesn;t have some steel in it. The current build I am working on is using my mat board pattern to create an aluminum version using the same principles, and I have found that the common 24x36 aluminum plate at Home Depot is an aluminum alloy which is magnetic.

I think there are a lot of permutations to try here:
-- the first is the one above, with 2 magnets and some kind of a slippy barrier. Metallic-looking metal barriers, I think, are going to be the hardest to execute.
-- another is to use a 95lb magnet and a steel plate attached to the shield
-- You can put the magnet on the shield and the steel plate on your back. This one actually might be the most aesthetically pleasing in the end.

I think that the best effort here is to look at what you are capable of from a tools and skill level, and then do that with the shield and equipment you have.

Are you guys using this magnet setup to walk around a convention?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how a 95lb magnet on a spun aluminum shield (10-15 lbs depending on thickness) + gravity wanting to make the magnet slide down the surface of whatever it is grabbing will be strong enough to hold.

The way the shield hangs on your back and the tension of your harness is really important too. If your harness is firm, then simply walking can cause the magnet and whatever surface to which it attaches to slightly pry apart. You have to try to imagine that if the bottom of your shield sits near your low back and your harness sits between your shoulders, your shoulders will shift some as you walk, as will your hips -- this can cause magnets that are not rock solid to lose a tiny amount of grip with each stride, while this occurs gravity will cause the magnet and the piece of metal (or other magnet that it touches) to slide down slightly. Eventually, this will cause a break in the hold when there's not enough metal / magnet connection left. (or when only one pole of the magnet is still engaged).

This is probably not a problem if you have a really light weight shield OR if your harness is loose enough to allow enough slack. But if you are trying a magnet solution on a tight, screen accurate, harness, it may be an issue. I know it was something I ran into on my early attempts which is why I ramped up to 150lb magnet and I still have a 'lip' on the bottom of my steel plate just as a backup to prevent this slip down problem.

Just as a side note, the shimmy / bounce test is only one of the hurdles you should worry about if you plan to carry your pride and joy around a convention. Take it on an extended walk -- and try to imagine navigating crowded areas (and the random ******* dressed as Deadpool who will do something dumb to your shield). Also, keep in mind the field of effect of the magnet. You will be walking around with an open 95lb magnet on your back whenever the shield is off, don't get stuck to someone else or someone's booth. -- Again, this won't really matter if you don't plan on going to a Con... but just trying to share some of the woes and uncertainty of using magnets.

Last edited:
I always appreciate differing points of view as well as the voice of experience and reason. If the goal is that you will never drop your shield, wearing it on your back is not the right handling method. If the goal is to make sure no Deadpool player is going to fiddle with your shield, I think we are misunderstanding the people who dress up as Deadpool :).

The system we worked out here creates a net pull of more than 120lbs when the magnets are aligned properly, and it's pull from both sides (shield-side and harness-side) so the problem of slippage is minimized. I had an early version using 2 x 65lb magnets, and that did not work unless it was magnet to magnet (no buffer) -- and then it was so tight I needed a screwdriver to unclamp them. I could jog around the neighborhood with the harness and shield on, but to get the shield off I had to take the harness off.

This system really is to get a harness that works which is affordable, useful for mundane walking around, and which actually separates without tools. I am sure it's not a finished product, and I'm also sure it would not survive a body-to-body wait to get into Hall H in San Diego.

Interesting take. Will be working on this myself this weekend.
I am going to attempt wrapping magnets in something textured- something similar to sandpaper maybe to grip and reduce slip/slide?

Sorry for the delay, didn't have time until now to work on this:
For my harness, I bought 2 - 95lb Round Pull magnets (Harbour Freight).
My plan was to have the magnets attract each other, but upon initial tests, they slid off each other when turned vertically.
Solution? Add a pin! I used a #10-32 1" screw w/ washer as shown:
IMAG0396.jpg

I then got old earbud wires as they are flexible enough as well as strong,
AND I had a few dead ones lying around.
IMAG0397.jpg

I used this to secure the magnet to the harness, as the harness
is metallic, however not consisting of anything that the magnet can stick to.
I strung the magnet through the loops in the "leather" straps as shown:
IMAG0401.jpgIMAG0398.jpg

Then pulled it tight while slipping the screw through the existing hole in harness
(Which is why I used #10 screw as it was the exact size of hole:
IMAG0400.jpgIMAG0399.jpg

What it looks like from reverse angle:
IMAG0402.jpg

Then the other magnet simply sticks to the shield, as I have an aluminum one:
IMAG0405.jpg

Magnets have enough pull to attract one another:
IMAG0406.jpg

And lifting the shield with magnets and harness:
IMAG0407.jpg
Takes some practice to get the magnets lined up, but the screw sticks out enough to connect with the other magnet and prevent it from sliding off.
Hard hits to it will still allow it to fall off, so I would not say it is Convention-ready.
The magnet on the shield is held purely by magnetic attraction, however it is more than enough.
Be sure to have something like a string or screw through middle of magnet when trying it out, as sticking it on the shield or other large flat surface makes it difficult to pry off.

Sorry again for the late and long post, but hopefully it helps some of you!

EDIT: I am currently trying to balance out the weight-- it makes the harness sag down, and cause misalignment.
Temporary solution is to pull straps until desired location of shield/harness and use safety pins to keep it there; in the end I think I will sew it in place rather than have the straps free moving along back piece.

Last edited:
The feedback that the magnets slip is interesting - it's due to the big gap you have between them due to the back buckle. I think the guide hole idea is a good improvement, and is headed to a solution that is truly hands-free. I have 2 days off and will be working on my harness using some of this feedback.

Out of curiosity, how did you build the large back buckle? That's got great detail.

I believe that is the back buckle from the cosplay sky outfit. It does have pretty good detail, but it is a little small on the back. Frank, if you are interested in a back buckle, I'm actually trying to get a run together of them. The ones I use are steel, so they are great with magnets, it makes it so you only need a magnet on the shield itself to get a good solution going. Attached is a picture of my setup. If I did a run of them they would not come with holes drilled such that individuals could drill their own as desired. (They also wouldn't be made out of scrap metal, so they'd look a little better).

20140825_180123.jpg20140904_172148.jpg20140904_172159.jpg

really stellar. I'm not shopping right now as I am really happy tinkering with the pieces. but I'll favorite this thread for future reference.

I believe that is the back buckle from the cosplay sky outfit. It does have pretty good detail, but it is a little small on the back. Frank, if you are interested in a back buckle, I'm actually trying to get a run together of them. The ones I use are steel, so they are great with magnets, it makes it so you only need a magnet on the shield itself to get a good solution going. Attached is a picture of my setup. If I did a run of them they would not come with holes drilled such that individuals could drill their own as desired. (They also wouldn't be made out of scrap metal, so they'd look a little better).

View attachment 372707View attachment 372708View attachment 372709
Beautiful shield by the way :3

Did you do a run of back buckles? If so how much are you asking?

View attachment 372707View attachment 372708View attachment 372709

Love reading about the stuck magnets. I bought 2 harbor freight 65 lb magnets for the same purpose - holding a steel shield to the harness on my son's stealth suit. Took them out of the package and they immediately stuck together. Took a vise and a hammer to pull apart.

thanks for posting

Wow, harrypotterfan, that's really good, how did you make the center part of the harness that the magnet is on? This is the bit I'm stuck on, making the center part.
\/
\/
Picture1.png

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back