Long slow ANH DL-44 build

Ohh, ok. I'm pretty sure the Denix just has solid metal where that's supposed to be. I hope it doesn't block the space I need to hold a magazine spring and follower. As you probably read I'm trying to get mine to chamber 9mm dummies

Yes, it's solid metal on the Denix. On the video that veektohr posted earlier, you can see it clearly. I pointed it out with a red arrow. The green arrow indicates where the trigger/plunger spring is held with 2 tabs causing it to push down on both the trigger and plunger. Best of luck getting it to feed dummy rounds; it will be quite an achievement!

2016-03-12_20-07-51.jpg

Yes, it's solid metal on the Denix. On the video that veektohr posted earlier, you can see it clearly. I pointed it out with a red arrow. The green arrow indicates where the trigger/plunger spring is held with 2 tabs causing it to push down on both the trigger and plunger. Best of luck getting it to feed dummy rounds; it will be quite an achievement!

View attachment 602797

Thank you! I appreciate the illustration. Honestly the Mauser C96 guts are an enigma to me. I'm debating whether or not to do your floor plate thing. Do I need it if I want it to chamber dummy rounds? I'm starting to think yes because of the way the Mauser holds the rounds in place with those lips on the top of the mag well. What are your thoughts on it?

Thank you! I appreciate the illustration. Honestly the Mauser C96 guts are an enigma to me. I'm debating whether or not to do your floor plate thing. Do I need it if I want it to chamber dummy rounds? I'm starting to think yes because of the way the Mauser holds the rounds in place with those lips on the top of the mag well. What are your thoughts on it?

Ok, so the way the real one works: The mag plate, spring and follower assembly is the first thing you remove to begin disassembly because the whole upper & lock assembly slides back off the lower. If you don't do it, the bolt jams against the follower. On a Denix, it's not the way it works; there's a screw and two pins holding the upper to the lower. You could push a follower with a spring into the magazine well and hold it in place while putting the assembled upper into place. You don't need a mag plate for that. It could make it easier to assemble.

Ok, so the way the real one works: The mag plate, spring and follower assembly is the first thing you remove to begin disassembly because the whole upper & lock assembly slides back off the lower. If you don't do it, the bolt jams against the follower. On a Denix, it's not the way it works; there's a screw and two pins holding the upper to the lower. You could push a follower with a spring into the magazine well and hold it in place while putting the assembled upper into place. You don't need a mag plate for that. It could make it easier to assemble.

Sounds good. I need a Denix first. Then the spring and the follower. I'd love to get someone on here to machine one for me. ( For the right price of course ) and I can get a spring on ebay for about $30 so it shouldn't be too expensive to do. I just need to figure out how to get the mag lips on it somehow and get the extractor to work on the bolt

So are you still going to complete the Denix build, or are all efforts now directed toward the live-fire? Maybe a Greedo killer or ESB for the Denix?

So are you still going to complete the Denix build, or are all efforts now directed toward the live-fire? Maybe a Greedo killer or ESB for the Denix?

This is still a Denix build. I don't think I'll be cutting up my M30. It will be there to help with accurization.

Any Idea who would consider making me a follower to fit a Denix? Or do you think I should modify a real one? I'd hate to destroy original parts though

Any Idea who would consider making me a follower to fit a Denix? Or do you think I should modify a real one? I'd hate to destroy original parts though

Do you know SketchUp and anything about 3D printing? I could probably lay out the real one in SketchUp, then you could send it out for 3D printing. Agreed that modifying a real one would be 1)expensive and 2)sad if it really didn't work. I saw a youtube video where someone made a wooden C96. Looks like they tried to modify a modern magazine. Also, you probably don't need a flat zig-zag spring from a C96. Any magazine spring would work at least as a prototype..

In other news, I worked on the trigger. Having a real one to compare to sure makes it disappointing when you get it close but then compare and it's really not perfect. Certainly good enough that if you didn't compare side by side it'd be tough to notice. Part of it is that the Denix trigger is .030" thick while the real one is 0.023" thick. Not sure I want to thin it down. 2nd photo is the Denix trigger overlaid with a real one in red to figure out where to remove material.

IMG_2166.JPG IMG_2165.JPG

And more news. The M30's barrel is shot. Glad I got a good deal since relining is a $200 job. :cry

Do you know SketchUp and anything about 3D printing? I could probably lay out the real one in SketchUp, then you could send it out for 3D printing. Agreed that modifying a real one would be 1)expensive and 2)sad if it really didn't work. I saw a youtube video where someone made a wooden C96. Looks like they tried to modify a modern magazine. Also, you probably don't need a flat zig-zag spring from a C96. Any magazine spring would work at least as a prototype..

In other news, I worked on the trigger. Having a real one to compare to sure makes it disappointing when you get it close but then compare and it's really not perfect. Certainly good enough that if you didn't compare side by side it'd be tough to notice. Part of it is that the Denix trigger is .030" thick while the real one is 0.023" thick. Not sure I want to thin it down. 2nd photo is the Denix trigger overlaid with a real one in red to figure out where to remove material.

View attachment 602944 View attachment 602945

And more news. The M30's barrel is shot. Glad I got a good deal since relining is a $200 job. :cry

Its looking good! I'd LOVE if you laid the follower out, as I do have a 3D printer. Honestly I never thought about 3D printing the parts but it would definitely work I think

Just worked on the firing pin changes. Didn't have much time for play!

Following Spoon06's lead, I tapped the hole with 1/4-20, then put threads on the original pin. The latter was very difficult with high danger of just twisting the end off of it. If I were to do it again, I'd go with a finer thread for less stress. I may rethink the screwdriver slot.

Photos have the modified bolt & pin vs the real thing.

IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just worked on the firing pin changes. Didn't have much time for play!

Following Spoon06's lead, I tapped the hole with 1/4-20, then put threads on the original pin. The latter was very difficult with high danger of just twisting the end off of it. If I were to do it again, I'd go with a finer thread for less stress. I may rethink the screwdriver slot.

Photos have the modified bolt & pin vs the real thing.

View attachment 606252 View attachment 606253
Looks great! I like that close-up shot of the two bolts side-by-side. I picked up supplies to attempt one of two more firing pins using this method, but I wont get around to it until next week since I'm traveling on business all week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering is anyone is interested in a C96 SketchUp model. It could be used to model all the blaster variants, plus a reference for Denix accurization.

C96 Model.JPG

Very true... or 3d printed steel or other metal.

That said, you'd need to NOT use the M30... Better with a wartime commercial or pre-war.

Im waiting for someone to do something like this, Ive gotten a few parts down but theres three or four people lately who have really taken things beyond what most of us thought possible. I would love a sketchup model!

Very true... or 3d printed steel or other metal.

That said, you'd need to NOT use the M30... Better with a wartime commercial or pre-war.

Wartime commercial in steel, and I'd buy a couple of them with zero hesitation. You'd be able to blue them up properly... it would be really sweet.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back