Lifesize PVC Terminator T-800 Endoskeleton - Finished!

Re: Lifesize Terminator T-800 Build - WIP

I make my own sheets by flattening pieces of PVC pipe. There are companies here that sell PVC sheets, but I want to see how cheaply I can build it (without it looking cheap).

He would have to split the pipe and then heat it. Nasty fumes come off this stuff at the right (mold-able) temps. Be careful not to breath this stuff in!

Kneecaps/joints finally complete - just a little cleaning up to do. IMG_00001175.jpgIMG_00001181.jpg

Gee that is looking awesome. Such nice clean lines. Well done.

Thanks. I use a sanding wheel on my Dremel to shape everything and I've learned to take things slowly. I've tried scroll saws and jigsaws and I've found the Dremel way gets the best results for me. I also use a number of small files to shape the areas that I can't do with the Dremel.

WOW, excellent project, and thank you so much for the pictures. This is the very project that I wish to start, building an Endo out of PVC. I plan to follow this thread and every picture.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I wasn't satisfied with the way the feet "tendons" looked, so I'm going back to the drawing board and remaking them. It's a minor setback, but I'll get it done.

Really nice progress.

What is your process for flattening the pipes? I've tried manipulating PVC before, and I've found that it's harder than it looks to get a smooth result, so it'd be interesting to see how you do it and keep safe. It'd be nice to see your device and a walk through of round pipe- to finished flat sheet.

I thought the tendons looked good, but details can be readily apparent when looking at them through eyeballs instead of a camera.

EDIT: Asked about the painting process, but saw it earlier in the thread.

Really nice to see the knees done.

Now that I look at it growing taller, I find myself wondering what your plan is for ensuring stability? It's going to be rather heavy at the top, what with the torso and head, so how is it going to be secured?

Also: acrylic dentures sounds amazing. I never thought about in the original movie, but the teeth would of course be actual teeth. It somehow makes the last scene with the exposed machine even creepier, if you think about it having actual teeth. I don't know why, but it's disturbing to me. Love that attention to detail.
I'm also really happy to hear about the L.E.D.s.

This is going to look amazing. Are you going to scare people at Halloween with it?

Last edited:

Flattening the pipe was a tricky venture at first, but here's how I get the best results: cut a piece of 4" pipe 17" long (17" is the width of the inside my oven). Make a straight cut down the length of the pipe. Sand rough edges. Heat oven to 300F. Cover a large baking tray with tinfoil. Lay pipe on tray and place in oven. Watch carefully - it takes between 5 and 6 minutes schedule 40 PVC pipe to be flexible enough for flattening. Remove from oven (wear suitable gloves) and place between 2 smooth boards (I use white melamine). Apply weight until the PVC has cooled ( I stand on the boards). As for safety - the oven is in my garage, so I open my doors to have lots of ventilation. That's it. In the attached photos, I split the pipe in half. IMG_00000100.jpgIMG_00000101.jpgIMG_00000102.jpgIMG_00000103.jpg

Last edited:

To answer the question about stability, I'm in the process of designing a stand that will support the endo'supper body weight. As for scaring people at Halloween - it's a cool idea, but it won't happen this year. Maybe Halloween of 2015. I work long hours at my real job and I have a family - I use whatever free time I can get to work on my hobbies. Added to everything is the fact that I'm just an average guy. I have to carefully plan every move I'm going to make before I actually do it and I'm always learning as I go through trial & error. I'm also doing this on a budget so I try to incorporate things into this project I already have without having to spend more money than I should.

Just be aware that heating PVC to this point can release chlorine vapor which is both toxic and corrosive.

Yes, the fumes can definitely be dangerous. I keep both garage doors open while heatng the PVC and I also keep a fan running during and after - until I'm certain it's safe. I also wear a particle respirator while cutting and grinding the PVC.

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread! Looks like you are off to a great start! I will be following this project with great interest! :)

Thanks, chanfan. To be honest, it was your terminator project that inspired me to try building my own endo. I've been wanting to build one, but I didn't think it was possible...until I saw what you've done with such basic materials. Outstanding work. I bow to your skills. Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Oh I love this .......would love to have a damaged leg prop with my collection one day.....if you have left over parts.....LOL....I am a huge terminator fan....LOL.....that is awesome to be made from PVC......nice work !!!

Wow, thanks! That's great to hear! :)
It's always cool to see a new way to approach such a huge project as a scrath built endo! :D Keep up the good work! ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back