Licensed Batman Related Leather Goods. Batman Arkham Knight, REVEAL 10/03

Re: It's Official. We got the Batman License. Details Inside.

I wanted to offer a little behind the scenes look at what goes into bringing a screen used, one of a kind item to a mass produced and eventual licensed distribution.

A few weeks ago Dave was at the Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank to examine, document and pattern various screen used TDK Batman outerwear items. One of which was Christian Bale's actual screen used leather motorcycle jacket from TDK.
I'm sure you all recall the scene from the movie...

"Melvin White..1502 Randolph Apartments...."

Just imagine that in my best Michael Caine accent, well you get the idea. :)

Here's a look at Dave working with the screen used 'hero' jacket...

aboutuspic.jpg

For those that don't know...The term 'hero' refers to a prop or costume piece made for and used by the 'hero' of the film, which in this case...as you all know is Christian Bale.
The reason for David wearing the gloves is that this jacket is a piece of movie history. Great care in handling and examining something of such importance must always be taken. This iconic and simply gorgeous jacket is surly destined to be a movie classic...if not already.

In the background you can see our first prototype of this jacket, brought along for comparison purposes. While we were fully aware that our first go at this jacket was not going to be 100% accurate, making a prototype and understanding what corrections need to be made to it makes it that much easier to ultimately end up with an accurate and faithful screen used replica. Furthermore the tanning process and how we work the leather can now be corrected to reflect the screen used aged effect as seen in the image above.

Naturally, having viewed, examined and patterned the actual hero jacket, expect to see our Official Movie Replica shortly.

Enjoy the behind the scenes pic.

More to come....(I love saying that :))

Rimma :angel

Wow! Very cool! Did not know you guys were going to make that jacket too!

Wow! Very cool! Did not know you guys were going to make that jacket too!

I guess the cat's out of the bag then. :)

Being that it's one of the few actual 'leather' garments in TDK, and that it's also featured on the hero it's going in as part of our Movie Replica garment line.

We've still got a few surprises up our sleeves.....but this Bruce Wayne Motorcycle jacket really is a stunning piece and we look forward to doing it justice.

More and more and more to come. :ninja

Rimma:cool

Looking forward to what comes of this. Site looks cool so far. Any timeframe on this?

Awesome!

Wish you were able to do the rubber "costume" stuff as well! We all know you would knock that stuff out of the park! :cool

Still, VERY cool news Dave and Rimma! :thumbsup

Re: It's Official. We got the Batman License. UPDATED 3/25

As exciting as an actual costume license would be, it would pose all sorts of production problems that we're just not set up to handle at the present time. It's very nice to hear you suggest that, and thank you btw :), but just imagine producing hundreds of TDK rubber suits... :confused We're just not set up to make such a product on a given territory level or to even consider the demand such a thing would carry for a bulk product to be effectively produced...and delivered.

Fortunately, leather is our thing just as much as a rubber suit can be, but in this case...we'll be able to accommodate the production needs, whatever they may end up being. Still, and fortunately for us, Dave has an in depth understanding of how costumes are made because the engineering behind our DK leather jacket and pants is literally like building the actual costume..with the complexities that leather poses VS a rubber compound. Hopefully the response to what we're working on will be strong but I guess that will have more to do with how well our finished leather goods turn out to be. So far...oh so very nice....but it is still early to show anything. :angel

Regarding the time frames, admittedly we got off to a slow start for a lot of reasons. Introducing a full leather garment line which also showcases Replica garments means a lot of practical and real R&D...no guessing or assuming how they should look...they have to be what they are supposed to be...otherwise it can all go quickly downhill and we know we've got high expectations to live up to. The availability of certain screen used goods from our perspective became of the utmost importance where the replica garments are concerned but all and all...we're proceeding quite well now.

The website will continue to be updated as we're ready with new info, or little teases to keep the dawgs at bay:lol...but we are working very hard to be accurate and faithful to our commitment to quality and screen accuracy.

Lots is happening behind the scenes, the next few weeks should be very exciting for anyone looking for a cool leather jacket...or pants..boots...gloves....:)

Your support truly is wonderful...yet another Thank You! from all of us here.

Rimma

I started posting links to the motorcycle crowd I know and several individuals have expressed interest..

-Adam

I'm just wodnering one thing about all of this license stuff. If the company that made the original motorcycle jacket still sells them, who is entitled to making and selling this jacket? You, the company that was awarded the license, or the company that made the original? Just want to gain a bit of insight.

Are the jackets being sold by the company that made the original different in some way than the screen used one?

Everything sounds very promising :thumbsup I really can't wait to see the end result. Keep us posted.

I'm just wodnering one thing about all of this license stuff. If the company that made the original motorcycle jacket still sells them, who is entitled to making and selling this jacket?

Are the jackets being sold by the company that made the original different in some way than the screen used one?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the purpose of producing it is. The original was made by Belstaff and can still be found.

Belstaff gear is notoriously difficult to get in the states. At least it has been difficult for me to find a decent supplier. This won't really help me though as I was looking for a different Belstaff jacket.

-Adam

FWIW the Belstaff Jacket was $1250 and the Brutalle jacket was notoriously small....and expensive. When you guys get the Bruce Wayne jacket up Ill also post a link on the MV community forum. It will look great with my MV F4!

I'm just wodnering one thing about all of this license stuff. If the company that made the original motorcycle jacket still sells them, who is entitled to making and selling this jacket? You, the company that was awarded the license, or the company that made the original? Just want to gain a bit of insight.

I really can only speak for ourselves. I honestly dont know anything about the arrangement Belstaff has in this case. What we do know is that they made the original leather garment for the movie, and subsequently have included it in their collection, which is certainly their right. I do believe it is sold as one of their standard collection jackets with no Batman labeling and so fourth. Our reality is that we can market, label and distribute this as a Batman Movie Replica Leather Jacket. We've got great respect for Belstaff, and I really cant proceed to assume the how's or why's other than what I've posted here.

Again, I have no way of knowing and would never assume to speak for them. In our case, having examined the original one in great detail...can state that ours will be made as the screen used one was. This means accurate placement of the cuff zippers, vertical inner zip pocket and we're also going to follow the specific means in which the stitching was done for the hero jacket. Another thing of note may be our price point...we're aiming for an incredibly interesting 'introductory' price tag with this garment...on par with some other high end action figure collectibles and toys.:)

I hope that helps a bit. If not, continue to ask away. :)

Straycatt,
Hi Adam. Thanks for posting links to our site. Any chance you can PM me some of those addy's so I can follow up and maybe introduce ourselves?
Thanks again, that was very cool of you.

Rimma

I think it's like the Indiana Jones jacket property. Wested made the original, but US Wings makes the licensed version. Both are available for purchase.

I think it's like the Indiana Jones jacket property. Wested made the original, but US Wings makes the licensed version. Both are available for purchase.

Now that makes sense.:thumbsup

Rimma, I'm active on the MV Agusta board. Keep me posted and ill put it up over there as well. The 2 jackets (Brutale, Belstaff) had a few problems. The Brutale was horribly undersized IE a Large fit like a tight Medium. The Belstaff was tough to find and was $$$$.

Christian

I do have one more question about the jacket. Will you guys be able to make it available with some form of insert/permanent padding or protection on the shoulders and elbows so it would be a functional piece of riding gear? I don't think Belstaff jackets have any sort of padding but please correct me if i'm wrong.

I know I read that the batsuit inspired jackets will feature some protection, just curious about the hero leather one.

I do have one more question about the jacket. Will you guys be able to make it available with some form of insert/permanent padding or protection on the shoulders and elbows so it would be a functional piece of riding gear? I don't think Belstaff jackets have any sort of padding but please correct me if i'm wrong.

I know I read that the batsuit inspired jackets will feature some protection, just curious about the hero leather one.

Very good question. Actually, our first prototype of this BW jacket was made with removable CE approved body armor. That was our original goal and being that it is removable the end user could decide if it was needed or not for his purposes. However, that raises the question of additional production costs for insert pockets and including the body armor. We're still entertaining this idea, maybe an option for purchasing BW jacket variants? It's still too soon to say. That is the direction we're going with the DK jacket and pants though so you're right on the money with your question. :)

What we want to do is nail the BW jacket down, accurately and then decide what possible options can be extended from it. At this point, we are seriously considering both options....and further input from you folks will help us decide. :)

Thanks Christian. Dave asked me to source some of the more popular motorcycle gear/outerwear message boards and to start introducing ourselves...which I haven't had time to do yet...:wacko and maybe get some passionate riders involved in some of our R&D?
I'll check the one you suggested. Thank you!

Rimma

Last question, will it be possible to be measured and have a custom size jacket made or just standard jacket sizes? You guys are in the Toronto area right?

If you need some R&D involvement from the outside regarding comfort, fit, and feel when riding, i'm sure some guys on here would like to help, myself included. Just sayin :)

I vote yes for the removable CE armor. Im assuming that you want to market the BW jacket as a motorcycle jacket and fashion jacket. I use my jackets for both purposes and thus require removable CE armor. When I ride the armor goes in, night on the town, armor comes out. .02

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back