Ladman's Patriot Warmachine Build

Nice mate! I started on the left shin last night. Fairly simple with all of the large parts. Your seam lines are definitely getting cleaner too :D

Thanks man, been using that little tip you gave me and it has been working great:love

I picked up an Xacto that cuts 45 and 90 degrees. that has been helping to make my angle cuts smooth and not rough.

I think the majority of my problem with my edges is because im using 3\8 foam. maybe ill use 1\4 inch next time.

Made a template for the star on the chest.

IP_Chest_Star - Download - 4shared - Thaddeus Ladzinski

You can print this on sticker paper or what i did is use some 2mm foam and glued it on the chest. i looked at the chest closer and noticed that the start is raised like a separate piece of metal on the chest.

I did however forget to inset the reactor a bit so just cut like a 1\4 of an inch off the edges of the star that touch the reactor so you can put those pieces on the inset piece of metal next to the reactor. ENJOY!!

Finished the Shins last night. They came out not to bad.

IMG_20130305_010950_342_zpsa6fda09e.jpg

IMG_20130305_010941_259_zpse575ff94.jpg

Last edited:
Hey ladman is that your undersuit. lol Build is looking aewsome...GM

Stright out of Tony Starks wardrobe!! lol

got some more updates to share:

Quick question about the thigh to shin pieces, are the bottom of the thigh's supposed to go over the smaller top part of the knee, like in the picture bellow?

IMG_20130306_023510_551_zps251222b1.jpg

Last edited:
Man this is turning out to be a killer build for you. I have been working on the top torso and as it turns out, it seems tobe evolving into something else. I have seen the recent trailers, which were awesome and i think it has pulled me into this area of design. Nothing to start o thread yet but soon. Again an awesome build...GM

Man this is turning out to be a killer build for you. I have been working on the top torso and as it turns out, it seems tobe evolving into something else. I have seen the recent trailers, which were awesome and i think it has pulled me into this area of design. Nothing to start o thread yet but soon. Again an awesome build...GM

Thanks Man!!

Finished the thighs today. They did not come out too bad, but im not happy with them. After the PAX event in two weeks, ill be re-making them and any other parts that have not come out good so far. Im just not getting the action or look out of the knee section.

IMG_20130312_022559_082_zpsd61928f0.jpg

IMG_20130312_022720_792_zpsd831bca3.jpg

IMG_20130312_022824_736_zps970c919e.jpg

Last edited:
Worked on the fingers for the hands and started one of the boots today. The fingers came out good i think. i have them rigged just like in IM2 with the 3d printed fingers. I ran wires along the side of the inner parts of the fingers, and made the guard pieces that separate the finger joints when you bend your hand. Not bad for my first run at them. the next set will come out way better.

IMG_20130308_231858_083_zpsa6a697f1.jpg

IMG_20130308_231847_460_zpse85ccb1d.jpg

IMG_20130308_231838_596_zps7d1f8b3a.jpg

IMG_20130308_231829_943_zps82e98061.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished the left boot. I assembled the entire leg and walked around in it to test it out. There seemes to be an issue with the knee and perhaps the scale.

When walking the knee pops out and stays out. The thigh piece is pulled up ass far as it can go on me, which brings it right up to the bottom of the COD piece, which is good, but for some reason with the uniform scale of 393.5 on all the pieces, its almost like the entire leg is too long.

What i did to remedy the situation was to add another piece of foam on top of the knee to give it for room for flex. Im trying to figure out how i am going to put Chicago screws in the knee area to keep it together and create a more flexible and believable joint?

Here are some pics. The one where i am pointing to the knee is where i was thinking of putting the Chicago screws, or maybe even a strip of foam along each side to create a ligament for the inner knee are. That might generate enough controlled flex in the knee.

IMG_20130312_022636_672_zpsc09a0bd8.jpg

The knee from this angel look HUGE, i think i have to go back and fix the bottom of the thigh area and make it more squareish.

IMG_20130312_022720_792_zpsd831bca3.jpg

IMG_20130312_022837_808_zps7e085dd5.jpg

I'm thinking this is what needs to be done to fix the knee.

FixKnee_zps4f9663ef.jpg

Last edited:
This is impressive. Especially since you are using half inch foam.

Thanks Optimus!!

It has proven to be quite difficult using that sized foam. It 3/8, but it is close enough to 1/2.

My next build i will be using 1/4 and 1\8. I have learned a lot while doing this one, so the next one will be so much better and clean looking. After i wear this to PAX next week, i will be re making the chest, and a few other parts that came out like crap. I think i will also make a pep helmet so i can get the motorized face plate working. I don't think ill have time to do that to the foam one before next week.

I fixed the knees on both legs and also finished the boots. All i have left now are the forearms, helmet, left fingers, hands, assemble the cannon and hook up all the servos, paint.

The list is still a little long, but i should have most of it done before the weekend so i can get to painting. Most of the suit has been plasti - dipped and primed.

IMG_20130313_230608_685_zps8fec03c9.jpg

IMG_20130313_230651_330_zps9fc2917a.jpg

IMG_20130313_230706_288_zps89e7f179.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Optimus!!

It has proven to be quite difficult using that sized foam. It 3/8, but it is close enough to 1/2.

My next build i will be using 1/4 and 1\8. I have learned a lot while doing this one, so the next one will be so much better and clean looking. After i wear this to PAX next week, i will be re making the chest, and a few other parts that came out like crap. I think i will also make a pep helmet so i can get the motorized face plate working. I don't think ill have time to do that to the foam one before next week.

I fixed the knees on both legs and also finished the boots. All i have left now are the forearms, helmet, left fingers, hands, assemble the cannon and hook up all the servos, paint.

The list is still a little long, but i should have most of it done before the weekend so i can get to painting. Most of the suit has been plasti - dipped and primed.

I started working on a MK7 right up to Halloween. I got to painting and the thing cracked all over the place. The ab section was the only part that I did a few stress tests on and it became unusable. I still have most of the suit just chilling LOL. The one problem I had was painting areas that had more than one color. Like an idiot I sprayed it primarily red and then went over it days later with another color. Didnt adhere at all. Lessoned learned for sure.

Regarding the plasti dip, are you buying this stuff by the case? I see it at lowes all the time and if I decide to use foam again for this build, just want to know if there is a cheaper way to get it.

I started working on a MK7 right up to Halloween. I got to painting and the thing cracked all over the place. The ab section was the only part that I did a few stress tests on and it became unusable. I still have most of the suit just chilling LOL. The one problem I had was painting areas that had more than one color. Like an idiot I sprayed it primarily red and then went over it days later with another color. Didnt adhere at all. Lessoned learned for sure.

Regarding the plasti dip, are you buying this stuff by the case? I see it at lowes all the time and if I decide to use foam again for this build, just want to know if there is a cheaper way to get it.

I'm painting up my IP at the moment and the biggest issue I have with painting, and the same issue I had with the MK VII I made, was trying to mask off the under colours to add the accent colours without ripping the paint off. I'm using an adhesion promoter on the IP which I didn't on the MK VII, but it's still happening, albeit not as much. It's very frustrating as it adds ages to the painting time because I have to keep touching up the parts where the colours have torn/ripped of.

Excuss me, if i may. Is the tape pulling off the paint it is adherd to or is it pulling the paint that is on top. If it is the latter then pull the taperight after painting (while it is wet). But when you do, pull back on an angle. Do a sample piece first, so that you get the hang of it. I hope that helps. Check my albums, the bike section. You'll see a candy apple American flag paint job. Taping was a B...GM

I get it at home depot for about 5 bucks a can. that is the only place i have found it. i have used about 2 of the 7 i bought so far. you can do the PVA thing, but it is like $60 per gallon, and then you have to mix it with water and paint it on by hand with a few coats. I bout all those cans for about 40, and i just spray on, and then in a hour i prime the pieces. It works like a charm.

as for painting, i was going to use blue painters tape on the foam and use newspaper to cover off most of the parts i did not want painted. that way i don't put tape on the pieces i have already painted and risk them peeling off when i remove the tape.

Murdoch said:
Excuss me, if i may. Is the tape pulling off the paint it is adherd to or is it pulling the paint that is on top. If it is the latter then pull the taperight after painting (while it is wet). But when you do, pull back on an angle. Do a sample piece first, so that you get the hang of it. I hope that helps. Check my albums, the bike section. You'll see a candy apple American flag paint job. Taping was a B...GM

No, it's pulling up the under coat paint. Ie, I put on my deadener, put on adhesion promoter, put on filler primer, put on silver as the base colour, then tape up the portions to be painted red and blue. Then when pulling off the tape from the blue portion for example, it pulls the paint off right back to the deadener layer...

I get it at home depot for about 5 bucks a can. that is the only place i have found it. i have used about 2 of the 7 i bought so far. you can do the PVA thing, but it is like $60 per gallon, and then you have to mix it with water and paint it on by hand with a few coats. I bout all those cans for about 40, and i just spray on, and then in a hour i prime the pieces. It works like a charm.

as for painting, i was going to use blue painters tape on the foam and use newspaper to cover off most of the parts i did not want painted. that way i don't put tape on the pieces i have already painted and risk them peeling off when i remove the tape.

Can I suggest using glossy magazine/junkmail paper rather than newspaper? Unless your newspapers are different over there than here in Aus, paint tends to soak into the paper and adhere to the surface underneath, I had that problem once lol. I'm also using that blue painters tape and using junkmail to cover most of it, I'm still having issues with it ripping off the paint, as above, so good luck lol.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back