Kylo Ren Voice Changer HELMET (not mask)

Thanks man, I appreciate that. One thing though, I've cut into the chrome piece and am sure the plastic underneath is black ABS. I've melted through it and I know mine is black plastic, when I sand through the chrome down to plastic it's also black. I don't know why yours is showing white. Maybe it's not the plastic underneath, but a paint scuff?

I finally got a chance to really look at the scuff and you are correct, it's not white plastic underneath. It looks like it was scuffed enough to just remove the shiny/reflective property of the chrome and make it look almost white. Like what happens when you scrape across a clear coat. But I think I've finally come to grips with it being there, thankfully. It doesn't really bother me anymore.

Well, this is downright depressing. I might throw a tantrum...

For something that is starting at $80, not quite sure i want to spend double on that (on Amazon).
Just yet.

availability.JPG

I found one of these today in Birmingham, AL, at a store called Bargain Hunt. It's apparently a chain where they resale a lot of returned items from Amazon and other places. The box was beaten to death, but the helmet is perfectly fine. I wound up paying just $50 for it.

I finally got a chance to really look at the scuff and you are correct, it's not white plastic underneath. It looks like it was scuffed enough to just remove the shiny/reflective property of the chrome and make it look almost white. Like what happens when you scrape across a clear coat. But I think I've finally come to grips with it being there, thankfully. It doesn't really bother me anymore.

Mine got scuffed even more after I just wore it around, it lends a bit of authenticity to it i think. The chroming on these is so damned thin a windy day might scuff them. lol

Figured I'd post in here since this thread is what got me wanting to the mod the BS helmet. Using the overall dimensions I decided to just remake most of it. I've got a lot more to do, most of the pieces pictured need fillets and filler before primer can even be considered, but I think it's starting to really take shape and I'm pretty excited to finally be able to wear it. Some of the pieces are pretty pieced together as well because initially I was just going to make it a bit more accurate than the BS helmet but gradually made it more accurate as the build went on.

My helmet will maintain it's ability to be taken apart as well, at least the grille/mouth pieces.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg

Figured I'd post in here since this thread is what got me wanting to the mod the BS helmet. Using the overall dimensions I decided to just remake most of it. I've got a lot more to do, most of the pieces pictured need fillets and filler before primer can even be considered, but I think it's starting to really take shape and I'm pretty excited to finally be able to wear it. Some of the pieces are pretty pieced together as well because initially I was just going to make it a bit more accurate than the BS helmet but gradually made it more accurate as the build went on.

My helmet will maintain it's ability to be taken apart as well, at least the grille/mouth pieces.

View attachment 579430View attachment 579431View attachment 579432View attachment 579433View attachment 579434View attachment 579435View attachment 579436View attachment 579437View attachment 579438

You just using white ABS to build it up?

Pretty much. White parts are a mix of styrene and sintra. Mixed just because I'm getting rid of leftovers from other builds. All the grey and some of the black areas are Apoxie Sculpt.

So my helmet is welded, used aves epoxy scultp for the filling and to actually support the inside of the helmet at the seem, I can fill this thing up with water hold it by one half and it won't crack leak or anything. Next topic .

Bought Disney mask, felt bad ripping it apart, its very nice for the price and the voice module, tho soft sounding actually works better than the bs one. If I could use that setup w the bs speaker it should sound good. My main problem! With attaching the snout was the original snout. I cut at the appropriate areas and I honestly would need to take off almost all the existing plastic. I'm having serious thoughts of using the whole bottom area of the DS mask, but then you run into the problem with the nose bridge on the bs being part of the chrome piece. Which to be honest is one of the best parts on this piece. Has someome done this? I don't want to take it all the way to the flare on the helmet. The dis snout is just a tad narrower than bs, I'm thinking cutting the piece of Disney and just seeing how it would be able to be fit in. Such a shame to cut the snout off the bs tho, felt like I wasnt gonna be able to make it look better but it looks considerably more accurate than it did and you can change how much the outer plate sticks out from the bottom plate even angle it I'll post pics when I return from work in 7 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much. White parts are a mix of styrene and sintra. Mixed just because I'm getting rid of leftovers from other builds. All the grey and some of the black areas are Apoxie Sculpt.

Nice to see someone else using exoxy sculpt, if you have any artistic ability you can fix any mistake and make anything alot more detailed and precise.

I liked the electronics from the Disney one just for the cool voice clips, they are definitely Adam Driver's voice, but alternate and unused lines.

I'll throw mine up here rather than make a whole thread for it. Plastic welding with a Wood Burning Tool and a Soldering Iron, Krylon "Granite" Texture paint and then a matte black. Not super thrilled with the Matte black, I feel it should be a little glossier? What paints have you guys used?

581898_10101617963400653_98197494707375391_n.jpg
DSC08723USE.png

OK finished paint, other than details. Here are some pics I used krylon plastic fusion and krylon maxx cover primer. Wet sanded with 330&800 before painting. Disney snout. Screen over visor, cheek holes drilled out. I like how it looks. I'm very surprised by the results. So far

- - - Updated - - -

Idk how to post pics

I just gutted the inside of the helmet and want to get some foam padding. What exactly is the name of the type used, open cell foam? I just want it to be black anyway. Thanks.

My goodness, that is a beautiful helmet!

You've done what I wanted with the bands, guess I'll have to hop of my high horse for thinking I'd get to it before anyone else! Really great work man!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back