Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt - (Old School Version 2 beginning pg17)

Re: Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt - (Old School Complete)

Edi do you think it's worth it to reinforce with fiberglass or no? I'm sure it's plenty strong but just to be safe lol.

I'm not really in favor of fiberglass reinforcing in most of these lightweight props. The resin is pretty strong on it's own. The fiberglass is stronger still, but might be a bit overkill.

I sanded the mold line down and did some light overall sanding on the rest of the helmet. I am painting in layers, the first layer was a base primer, second layer is a flat black, thid layer was the nickel metal, but was too much work to mask so I panted the whole frown nickel. The fourth layer i pained the balck lines of the frown with black and a paint brush. That is where I am at right now.

KRhelmet0006.jpg

Next is weathering i will be bringing the black on to a more greyish tone and wil probably use some gloss clear coat on the frown for shine.

it's not easy to paint thats for sure.

i decided to go with nickel instead of silver or chrome, but had to mix in a bit of gold. Im not quite sure whats the real color that they used im just basing it mostly on the official posters

uStr9WS.jpg
11.jpg

So, in the movie this helmet was definitely made from something. To me it looks a lot like a shrine as it is not symmetrical & has been seemingly welded together. does anyone else think it could be cut from Vader's? I know we saw one in the trailer but Kylo seems too much of a fan boy not to lol.

So, in the movie this helmet was definitely made from something. To me it looks a lot like a shrine as it is not symmetrical & has been seemingly welded together. does anyone else think it could be cut from Vader's? I know we saw one in the trailer but Kylo seems too much of a fan boy not to lol.

very possible considering he is consumed by the lore of the sith

Love the paint jobs, Gentlemen! I really like the satin finish for these. Definitely captures the look, imo. Can't wait to get mine! How are they size-wise? Are you needing to pad them a lot, etc? What are you guys head sizes?

Couldn't help but notice that one of the new pics they dropped the other day features Kylo with a slightly different face plate. Look & you can see that this one has no 'vent' portion that sits behind the front plate as seen on all of the other official renderings. This makes me think that either he changes the mask as the movie progresses, has more than one mask, or his front plate actually moves like a mandible when he speaks. I'd like to know what you all think as this picture is certainly official & taken from a cut of the film.
10460200_949006358495591_6704600010694479755_n.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back