Justice League

Drat, you're right, they did show his hands....or someone's hands....

Exactly, you think all those DP staff and Smallville residents were looking at someone else? Nope. Hated that part of the movie. Could've easily gone with "Daily Planet reporter missing covering Gotham incident" or something vague. Not a flat out CK is dead!!!!

Reel

The only way I see around it is that Superman's identity is revealed in JL.

That worked for Tony Stark. Can't see that working for Superman. What's the point of the suit if everyone knows your identity? Just fly around in jeans and plaid. Tony needed the suit to be IM.

Reel

That worked for Tony Stark. Can't see that working for Superman. What's the point of the suit if everyone knows your identity? Just fly around in jeans and plaid. Tony needed the suit to be IM.

Reel

To quote Captain America (whose identity everyone knows, but he still wears a costume)... "If you're gonna fight a war, you got to wear a uniform." [pick your war: war on crime, war against the forces of evil. war against alien invaders. etc.]

Spider-Man still wears his costume.

It's also been pointed out before that most heroes wear a costume to cover their secret identity. Superman pretends to be a regular person to conceal his. He doesn't dress up to be Superman... he IS Superman.

I'd actually be ok with it. Obviously he'd have to come up with a way to protect his mom and girlfriend... but obviously being Clark didn't keep that from happening in BvS so what's the point?

Back in Blue

93770fa07bdc108e013a5ac6ca300272.jpg

Reel

They sure did show the body in the casket. At least his hands. And you think everyone in Smallville attended his wake looked at an empty casket, nope! They better figure out a way to explain Clarks resurrection the same time Superman reappears. Poor writing. But, I still loved BvS.

Reel
I don't think it's poor writing but rather a choice they made. It sounds like they have a plan and since they've already tweaked the mythology in Man of Steel and BvS they may just jettison the alter ego or adopt a new one.

So I just got through reading George Millers Justice League: Mortal script.

Not bad. Nothing mind blowing, nothing awful. Didn't feel like it really had enough depth in some areas, and the dialogue felt a bit clunky - but over all it read quite similar to a comic, quite straight forward. I think on the whole, slightly better than Kevin Smiths Superman: Lives script. And I haven't finished reading JJ. Abrams Superman script yet, but JJ's is very tightly written so far.

Basic plot is

Justice League haven't formed yet but all the heroes exist already. It opens with a funeral but we don't know whose. Batman has been working on plans to take down the individual heroes should they turn rogue and creating a "Brother Eye" satellite system. Of course this gets hacked and taken over in the background of Maxwell Lord,
who is actually another person who was experimented on as a child and now has mind control abilities...
who has initiated the OMAC project. Humans can be turned into battle ready robots in an instant etc. Lord overarches the plot as the villain pulling some strings, the league help each other recover from various nanobot infections
Which were distributed via a fast food chain...
. Eventually they come together to save Batman, who is being held by Lord.
Superman is mind controlled by Lord and beats the crap out of everyone ever until Batman snaps Lords neck, and does what Superman and Wonder Woman would not
big climatic battle, Barry Allen runs so fast he takes the big bad into the time barrier and dies, hence the funeral. And there were definitely a few emotional moments there that would have been nice on screen. Wally takes over as Flash. The league is properly formed.

Now, without going in to too many spoilers - it all felt very corny. And more so than I thought it would. This was developed for 2007 as well, but it reads like it was written in the 90's? Which might not be a bad thing in some respects, but it is in others. There were some great moments, and I'm sure his direction would have enhanced the script definitely. And after seeing Fury Road, I do have a hankering for a DC film by Miller. But I think I'm kinda glad it wasn't Justice League (with this script at least, though of course things would have gone on and been modified). And with this other rumour about him doing the New Gods, I think I can definitely see where his influence might come out nicely in that kind of movie, even larger than life, weird gods and feuds on distant planets. There are quite a lot of inconsistencies too where you can see where the characters core values are being pushed to the front, but that isn't what you've been told throughout the script.

Script is here if anyone fancies it, it's definitely entertaining though don't get me wrong, it was great to imagine it all happening - it feels like its ripped right out of an ok comic run, but doesn't quite feel like it would be a big screen thing.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4tilNmOgu5TRk9VMHU2QVdsaWc/edit

I think he'll be in a black suit for most of his apearance, then changes back for the finale. He probably acts bitter for failing to finish off Doomsday on his own and is down in the dumps. Then the JL formation convinces him its ok to need a team, so he goes to his blue suit and finally becomes the optimistic guy we all know and leads them into victory. Hopefully something like that

I think he'll be in a black suit for most of his apearance, then changes back for the finale. He probably acts bitter for failing to finish off Doomsday on his own and is down in the dumps. Then the JL formation convinces him its ok to need a team, so he goes to his blue suit and finally becomes the optimistic guy we all know and leads them into victory. Hopefully something like that

Don't think they'll do the bitter angle, as its been shown in MoS and BvS that he is quite happy to work alongside others and get assistance (two pronged attack on the World Engine, three pronged attack on Doomsday) - I do hope we see him reflect a little on being in a near death coma, just a little. He has a human mind after all, and that sort of stuff would affect anyone.

I was just having a think on my way to work today, about what I'd like to see in JL/MoS2 - it's such a small thing, but I'd love it if they had Bats create a strength chamber with which to test Supes recovery levels etc. I don't think we can expect that level of technology in the films yet to be fair but Bats does apparently have a lot more gear in JL, so there will be more tech. I also don't think they will include this, as they'll probably rather go down a simple route of him returning to strength relatively quickly in a moment of need, similarly to how he recovers from the nuke blast.

Definitely just a cool little thing but it'd be great to see, similar to how he recovers in the Superman: Doomsday animated film.

liftingmachine.png

I was just having a think on my way to work today, about what I'd like to see in JL/MoS2 - it's such a small thing, but I'd love it if they had Bats create a strength chamber with which to test Supes recovery levels etc.

Maybe once Batman realizes Kal will return, he'll build him a Fortress of Solitude where he can have some peace while he recovers. With his alter ego being dead he can't exactly go back to living in Metropolis.

As far as his "training facility", well...

Bob-works-out-2.gif Bob-works-out-3.gif

I was just having a think on my way to work today, about what I'd like to see in JL/MoS2 - it's such a small thing, but I'd love it if they had Bats create a strength chamber with which to test Supes recovery levels etc. I don't think we can expect that level of technology in the films yet to be fair but Bats does apparently have a lot more gear in JL, so there will be more tech. I also don't think they will include this, as they'll probably rather go down a simple route of him returning to strength relatively quickly in a moment of need, similarly to how he recovers from the nuke blast.

Over in the Ultimate Fantastic Four comics, Reed augmented a repurposed hydraulic press to test Ben's strengh. I'm sure WayneTech has plenty of those available in its manufacturing divisions.

--Jonah

They sure did show the body in the casket. At least his hands. And you think everyone in Smallville attended his wake looked at an empty casket, nope! They better figure out a way to explain Clarks resurrection the same time Superman reappears. Poor writing. But, I still loved BvS.

Reel

Urrr....I don't and never have read them but.....even if Clark is "missing" it's just a bit hard to miss that he shows back up when Superman does.....don't you think?? This is why I hate his so-called "secret identity" it's so bad the only people I expect to buy it are somewheres around age five :facepalm
And don't get me started about a pair of glasses being an effective "disguise"!! THAT is SO dumb :behave

I could buy saying Clark is dead,done,gone and he just gets friendly like with miss Lane for various reasons,his mom I dunno but you could say he gets close on account of feeling sorry she lost her son because of him-THAT I can say works.

I said in a previous post that Clark Kent is Superman's disguise. But after some thought I realized he was raised as Clark Kent. It's not like he was Superman man from birth, and when he grew up he decided he wanted to walk among everyone unnoticed so he came up with the Clark disguise. Yeah, he's actually Kal-El/Superman... but he was Clark first.

While Clark Kent being dead in the movies will free them up from having to do anything about him working at the Daily Planet, it's really like they cut out a major part of what makes Superman.

I'm conflicted... maybe because they didn't really do much with the Clark side of the character in BvS that it felt wrong. A couple scenes with him wearing glasses was about it.
At least in MoS (being an origin story), we saw him out of the tights about as much as he was in them.

Seeing a movie with nothing but just Superman flying around and never being Clark would be as weird as never seeing Tony Stark and only seeing Iron Man.

I'm conflicted... maybe because they didn't really do much with the Clark side of the character in BvS that it felt wrong. A couple scenes with him wearing glasses was about it.

He did a lot more in the ultimate edition. He actually did some investigative reporting work.

Either way... Batman or Justice League, I am not a fan of the costume. Seems that a bit too often DC's movie costume designs are a little too plastick-y and almost gimicky. While I think Batman and Wonder Woman work well - The Flash, Cyborg and now Deathstroke just seem overwrought with shiny, overstylized details.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back