Junk to steampunk, A Bodgeneer's log...

KalashnikovKid

Evening Replica Prop Folk,

I work in a Tech college, It holds an open evening every year to encourage kids (age 11) to come to our school. Its a big event that takes groups of kids on tours of the school showing them each department individually.

I work in science and for the past 4 years we've been the highlight of the tour by putting on themed shows based around science experiments.

Now It's partly to do with the excellent delivery of content by our (mad) teachers and partly to do with the set pieces and equipment.

Being a lab tech and a bodgeneer I along with my colleague Matt (THE PUNSIHER) are responsible for the latter.

In the past we've done Batman twice, Dr who, Frankenstein and now we're doing Victorian science. It's heavily influenced by the recent Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne, and H G Wells.

This all leads to one thing.... STEAMPUNK! Now here comes the kicker, Our budget.... £100! :confused

We have £100 to produce two rooms of content, scenery, and demo's. The good news is we have a school full of junk to use though :love

First up.....

A couple of candle sticks.

P6150078.jpg

P6150079.jpg

Made from An old towel rail, case from a garden light, Hard drive disc, Half a wire spool and a thistle funnel.

Cost £0 :thumbsup

Next...

Hydrogen Rocket and launcher

Launcher

It just needs the ignition plug added and a detonator style switch added to finish it. The gauge actually fluctuates when you turn the pump on!

DSC00346.jpg

P6150077.jpg

Made from an old Methanol drum, a lid from sweet tin, a handful of nuts, an old car tire pump, some copper pipe, and an old pressure gauge from a redundant Bolyes law apparatus.

Cost ~£2.50 for the elbow joint and a the nuts

The Rocket.

Matt took inspiration from the Nautilus for this piece. It's a shroud to go around the plastic soda bottle we use to contain the hydrogen and oxygen.

P6150073.jpg

The silver dial was just used to prop up the prop :)

Made from a tennis ball tube, filter funnel, 3 pen lids, some random greeblie from an old VCR, a bit of wire, a spring, and some perforated aluminum we got from an old radioactive monitoring kit.

Sparky doo-dah

A background piece designed sit in the back of our darkened room and have a stroboscope behind it. The flashes of bright light are only visible through the jagged slit cut in the paper between the "electrodes" all part of the Tesla section of the show. Matt made the electrodes and i put the rest together.

P6150075.jpg

Made from some 32mm waste pipe. 2 funnels, cardboard, Polystyrene ball, some polystyrene sheet, black paper and an old slide projector wheel.

More in part two.....

Pt two

Occular Podulation device or "eye pod"

Inspired by the Edison phonogram we went for a if Edison made an i pod model.

This was the result...

P6150043.jpg

the "eye tunes" and reader

P6150044.jpg

The eye

P6150045.jpg

Ear trumpet

P6150048.jpg

Wind key and Ear horn jack

P6150047.jpg

Side view showing valve and dial

P6150042.jpg

Music on the move for the modern Victorian man

P6150051.jpg

Made from an old aluminum can, top part of an old brass plant sprayer, length of aluminum rod, a valve, boss clamp screw, bit of rope, two garden lights, random junk dial, plastercine, plastic crystal ball thing, Camera strap, and the middle bit out of a tap.

Cost £2.79 as we needed to buy some JB weld!

One more to come...

The last bit for now.

Victorian arc reactor!

The way i see it the more cool random bits the better and Robert Dowdy Jr was in Iron man and Sherlock Holmes so that's a good enough excuse for me! :angel

P6150054.jpg

P6150057.jpg

Gears and face came from and old Russian camera

valves are some weird number things we found in a bit or 60's kit we "decommissioned" The body comes from the back of a CRT screen again from the 60's

P6150064.jpg

LED's are taken from a 99p store light saber and stick on light thing.
Enameled wire comes from the departments build a radio kit.

P6150065.jpg

Front on

P6150066.jpg

And me doing a "Stark" :$

P6150067.jpg

this is an ongoing project till October. We hope to add many more items to the list and I'll update regularly. I hope to add videos of the equipment and demo's when completed.

Comments welcome but please bear in mind our minute budget and limitations in equipment and time (we're building this and still working full time on our main job)

Just to give you an idea of what we're working with.....

our resources

P6150080.jpg

Our "workshop" greenhouse

P6150071.jpg

Views nice tho :)

P6150070.jpg

Thanks

Dave

Normally I absolutely HATE steampunk, but for some reason, I'm quite a fan of everything you've done. Keep up the great work and be sure to continue posting pictures!

Update,

Volta Pile/Tesla coil Hybrid

Needed a Victorian style power supply to operate our severed hand (to be built) So we came up with this. It can hold 3 c cells but will most likely just be a dummy for the real power pack under the dissection board.

Looks a bit squiffy in the photo's but seems fine in person.

DSC00358.jpg

Leaning tower of Tesla!

DSC00359.jpg

Made from a random bit of turned wood I found in the wood box at work, Flexible hoover tube, 3mm copper rod, Ping pong ball, bit of plastic tube (stiffener) two copper rivets, two nuts, and a plastic lid.

Cost £0.50 (ball and nuts)

Got another Victorian/ modern hybrid set piece being built atm. Not gonna reveal what it'll be yet but here's a few part shots...

Take one OLD shelf...

DSC00353.jpg

Add coffee and you get this!

DSC00354.jpg

Roller made from cotton reel, tinfoil tube and Lego

DSC00357.jpg

struts

DSC00352.jpg

Thats all for now. Will get more done on monday. Feel free to add any ideas for stuff to build. We've got two rooms to fill with science stuff!

TTFN

Dave

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back