Restoration job: need to identify a part (steampunk like) from John Carter (Disney)

AvZ

I'm partly restoring a prop from John Carter (Disney) so it displays better. They used either found parts or created parts for a gun. I'm looking for this piece and wondered if someone might know what it is, if it is a found part that is to begin with. I can recreate it (already did a rough one using a door knob), but if it is out there that would be great.

It looks like something steampunk clock part etc.

They used at least 2 sizes of these parts for their props. This one is about 3 cm / 1.2 inch in size.
x.jpg

Are the two different sizes identical?

The shape reminds me of an oscillating weight out of an automatic watch:

_A
Nearly identical. The bigger version has an extra hole.

They are sloped, so would not be watch parts, but it indeed reminded me of the same part.

This is the bigger version.
4e184195c69991489bd34c4bb7b429e5.jpg

I think you're on the right track adamszki427. If it is a found part it looks like it was made to be a counterweight. The size makes me think it might be for a large sewing machine.

it reminds me of a sewing machine bobbin carrier/shuttle that goes below the needle but without an idea of size may be talking too big or too small.
That is an interesting suggesting. A quick search does not come with a positive result, but I will do a more elaborate one tomorrow. The item I'm looking for would be 3 cm.

a reverse google image search threw up alot of images of brass fishing/fly fishing reels... again possibly not at 3cm but it could be an avenue worth exploring.

a reverse google image search threw up alot of images of brass fishing/fly fishing reels... again possibly not at 3cm but it could be an avenue worth exploring.
Interesting suggestion and I just checked it out, but it seems parts of those reels are either too big or not similar.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back