Jumanji board!

Yesterday I focused on getting the compartments on the board finished (or nearly finished). I added a magnet to each of the lids, these are attracted to the screws in the bottom section.

pb270075.jpg

and it actually works... I've held it upside down and everything.

pb270077.jpg

pb270076.jpg

I started on the hinges today. It was not fun.

This is the test piece, which took far too long, but was necessary :

pb280084.jpg

pb280085.jpg

(And yes, the hinges really do look like this on the actual board. :wacko )

Marked out all the pieces on Birch wood. Decided to use Birch because it is stronger and will hopefully be able to withstand a bit more movement than pine.
pb280083.jpg

pb280086.jpg

This took hours. Literally. Because they are pretty small I had to do a lot of hand sanding... or else risk loosing a finger on the disc sander. Even knowing that, I was pretty risky and got most of it sanded back using it. Did the rest by hand.

Sorry this is a boring post(!) Will be getting the hinges on tomorrow. Hopefully some exciting looking pictures up soon. I have 1 week, so will have to start the paint job pretty soon, and that's the fun bit.

This made me laugh on your website: "This took hours. Literally. Because they are pretty small I had to do a lot of hand sanding… or else risk loosing a finger on the disc sander."

I think its the safest power tool possible ;)

Good job on the board, I've been meaning to CNC one as soon as I've modelled it but have been busy sorting the laser out.

Because they are pretty small I had to do a lot of hand sanding… or else risk loosing a finger on the disc sander."

WRONG orbital sanders can cause terrifying bits of sandpaper flying and or the entire disc! D:
@ Gemwright What are your plans for the "fate decider" in the middle of the board?

WRONG orbital sanders can cause terrifying bits of sandpaper flying and or the entire disc! D:
@ Gemwright What are your plans for the "fate decider" in the middle of the board?

I've made a green resin dome that will sit in the centre. Looks fairly accurate to how the game is when not being played. As the original text stuff was done using CGI I don't feel too much pressure to try and replicate it. Plays to my lazy side rather well :p

- - - Updated - - -

That is amazing. I love your attention to detail. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thank you very much :D Stay tuned, will be done in a week!

This made me laugh on your website: "This took hours. Literally. Because they are pretty small I had to do a lot of hand sanding… or else risk loosing a finger on the disc sander."

Good job on the board, I've been meaning to CNC one as soon as I've modelled it but have been busy sorting the laser out.

I've seen a guy get the end of his finger neatly shaved off by a disc sander :popcorn
It's not cool.
Hope you get round to doing it! It's just simply a beautiful prop to make and look at.

Here's today's work chaps
I got the hinges on one side! God knows if the box will open now. It doesn't look hopeful if I'm honest...

pb290092.jpg

I used steel rod in the centre and cut a slightly larger hole about 1cm in from one end to add wooden dowel. Acts as a stopper, but the actual hinge is very strong inside.

pb290091.jpg

We will see what happens on Monday... Fingers crossed.

I also sculpted a quarter of the metal inner ring today from plastelline.

pb290087.jpg

And made a mould just from gluing plastic around the shape.

pb290089.jpg

Filled with silicone...

pb290090.jpg

That is another thing to wait until Monday for. To see if the silicone sets properly. It was behaving rather strangely when I left today, sort of setting on the top and not at all underneath. Roll on Monday

What amazes me is the speed at which your build is coming together. Deadlines are sooooo inspirational (which is probably why my long-planned Jumanji board project remains mired in its planning stages). I'm still balanced between resin and wood for the carvings, so it's interesting to see how other people have dealt with them. Thank you for the running commentary and photos. Whether I follow you ideas or go a different direction, it's all useful information. Looking forward to see the completed build.

What amazes me is the speed at which your build is coming together. Deadlines are sooooo inspirational (which is probably why my long-planned Jumanji board project remains mired in its planning stages). I'm still balanced between resin and wood for the carvings, so it's interesting to see how other people have dealt with them. Thank you for the running commentary and photos. Whether I follow you ideas or go a different direction, it's all useful information. Looking forward to see the completed build.

Thanks :) Yeah I think knowing that I HAVE to get in finished in a certain time helps with my motivation. I went with a resin cast of all the detailed bits because I think it is a quicker option. But if you have time wood looks nice. Still, it's all in how it is finished! I'm hoping no-one would be able to tell that it's not carved wood. We shall see...

I think it's also about skill sets. Like I think I'm terrible at carving wood and would never really consider it an option.

I have 4 DAYS TO GO!?
I don't know how that happened.
Here's today's progress...

I'm calling this angry Monday... Needless to say, the silicone I left to set over the weekend did not set. The scales I was using are really unreliable and I think I put way too much catalyst in.

So I had to re-do that section of sculpt and the mould. Boring and a waste of time.

Not to mention the hinges I left drying... One popped off the moment I tried to open the box. Amazing Monday morning.

But I did eventually get the hinges on. (You can also see that I have managed to paint and varnish the playing board. Didn't take too many pictures of it yet as I'd like to wait until it's properly completed.)

pc020107.jpg

pc020108.jpg

Finally stuck down the fastcast resin board to the inner box.

pc020100.jpg

And after I re-sculpted the little ring that fits around the green resin in the centre I made a silicone mould and got the casts done.

pc020095.jpg

pc020106.jpg

Will be spraying them silver tomorrow and fitting them onto the board. Also need to get the magnets into the playing pieces and paint them up.

Thank god angry Monday is over. Roll on productive Tuesday.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back