Jumanji board!

I decided to make the actual box and the detailing on the edges out of wood. I was originally only going to carve out one edge piece of each size, and make a mould of the pattern on the top. Then just cast a few out and stick them on the wooden edges. But I ran out of silicone. :( and I can't afford to buy more. I did try to use vinamould instead but it had hilarious consequences... foaming... lots of foaming. So anyway I carved it all.

View attachment 187908

View attachment 187909

The corners need filling and sanding in these pics.

These are the casts of the playing pieces:

View attachment 187911

There are quite a few air bubbles which need attention. But I'm pretty happy with them. I will be drilling holes into each and inserting a magnet into the bottom. Tested it out and it does work! Wont really serve any purpose, as the game is unplayable, but it's geekily exciting to move them around. :cool

Also, it's important to label the moulds in case you need to do another one. Surprisingly hard to tell which is which in this state.

View attachment 187912

I made another sculpt out of plastelline for the lids on the inner compartments. Then made a mould and used the very last of silicone :(

pb190047.jpg

pb190048.jpg

Drilled into the box edges to insert some magnets. It should give the box a satisfying pull on it when it's opened.
Will hide the magnets obviously.

pb190051.jpg

This is everything I have completed so far :) seems quite good, but there is still loads to do...
pb190049.jpg

pb190050.jpg

Will post more in a couple of days probably, gonna be a bit busy tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• pb190036.jpg
    pb190036.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 353
  • pb190035.jpg
    pb190035.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 576
  • pb190037.jpg
    pb190037.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 410
  • pb190039.jpg
    pb190039.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 661
Also thank you everyone for the nice comments :)
And Jumanjifan112, I believe there was a hint of sarcasm in Surmainey's comment. :p
It's nice to find my target audience

If you're using circular magnets, you may want to insert two magnets, side by side - i.e. OO - into the bottom of the playing pieces. I found that I had to do that - when I had just one magnet in the bottom the piece spun in circles when I moved it along the track, instead of facing the right way the whole time.

If you're using circular magnets, you may want to insert two magnets, side by side - i.e. OO - into the bottom of the playing pieces. I found that I had to do that - when I had just one magnet in the bottom the piece spun in circles when I moved it along the track, instead of facing the right way the whole time.

Yeah! They were going backwards and everything. Very athletic. Brilliant tip! thanks very much :), although the playing pieces are only about 15mm across on the bottom. The magnets I was using are 10mm across, would it work if I got smaller ones? Or maybe longer ones that fit in the centre? I really appreciate the help thank you :)

My rhino token is about 17mm across the very bottom. I used two 8mm neodyne magnets side by side. It's more to do with the shape - you need something more rectangular than circular to stop the spinning.

Recent progress! Made a wooden mould for the green shiny bit in the centre of the board. (sorry about this AWFUL picture)

pb200054.jpg

Vacuum formed it.

pb200056.jpg

Pigmented some clear resin with green and black and poured into the mould. Think the colour looks pretty good.

pb200057.jpg

Also got the compartment sections cast in fastcast and stuck to the wooden bases.

pb200058.jpg

That's it for now unfortunately, wont be working on it for a couple of days now. Will update when I have done more! :)

So after the bank holiday I've managed to get on with some more work on the Jumanji board.

The cast of the 'board' and the pattern on the front of the box actually came out with quite a few air bubbles in them. So today was the laborious task of filling and sanding the intricate details

pb260059.jpg

pb260060.jpg

I finally decided it was time to stain the wood darker. I used Brywax- this is the result. Think it looks really good, quite like the fact you can see all the scratches and marks left by sanding. Makes it look old and worn. :)

pb260063.jpg

pb260064.jpg

pb260065.jpg

pb260067.jpg

I also worked on the compartments today. Got them attached into the box. Ignore the glue seeping out :p haven't got round to tidying it up yet.

pb260061.jpg

pb260062.jpg

pb260071.jpg

pb260072.jpg

Had a little set up of how it's looking so far. Really happy with the green resin for the middle and the sizes of the playing pieces.

pb260068.jpg

pb260069.jpg

pb260073.jpg

2 weeks to go... I'll keep you posted.

I would automatically say yes but I haven't been a member long enough to sell anything. If you could wait a few weeks then yes. I am trying to respect the forum's rules on selling/advertising. :angel
Does this mean the wood carving didn't go well?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back