John Knoll's death star hobby project

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
https://vfxblog.com/2016/07/15/john-knolls-death-star-hobby-project-because-well-hes-john-knoll/

hangar_recreation.jpg

That was very cool. It is so cool to see they have such talented people working on the Star Wars projects!

I would not be surprised if the hangar interior was used for something or other in Rogue One.

I saw the panel at Celebration. Why wouldn't the owners of the original prop want to lend it to Lucasfilm? Or did Knoll not even ask?

Willie you scared the besesus out of me, and made my heart skip a beat! :lol

So very cool :D
Would love it if we could experience this virtual environment in VR.

More John Knoll:

Just incredible stuff.

Seeing the miniatures of Theed makes me want to visit the city. Amazingly beautiful creation.

Exactly what I was thinking. It needs to be released as VR. It's an incredible recreation. I'd love to walk around the Death Star. :)

Ben

Seeing people like John Gaeta talking about this stuff makes me want to jump ahead maybe 10 years into the future :)

So he gave you the willies?

You could say that :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the same. How come that they were unable to find it when they were searching the web for it? I mean, they just had to ask one of therpf to find out. :)

Have faith pretty much anyone who is anyone involved in the production of Rogue One knows quite well of the original model's disposition. Hard to say if they considered consulting (or did consult) Lopez. Gus is seemingly fairly open about sharing. Maybe they did pay him a visit...(?) The model itself though is not a great candidate for moving around (though it has traveled from Gus's house to the museum at the Space Needle, but that is just across town).

Also the upper hemisphere today is virtually useless as reference for the lines. All the primary city blocks remain, but the actual lines (hundreds) drawn on are 98% gone from the upper dome due to exposure. Makes me wonder where and how Knoll got his info. I did it, (and did so pretty damn accurately) based on published material, but it was at times excruciating. I really don't think a plethora of additional unpublished images of the model exists, but I could be wrong (and quite possibly am).

If I can recreate it off of published materials, and if Knoll had access to some better images than I had that were not published, then he'd have a relatively easy go of it.

But my personal hubris leaves me wondering what he knows of my model, and if he took a gander at my images...! If he's at ComicCon, someone better ask for me! ;)

Last edited:
I just re-read the paragraph concerning the Death Star. I may have misread it the first time; I thought they had no idea where the original was. Instead, it was stated, ILM no longer had it. So, that's true in any case. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back