Jim Henson's Labyrinth - My Collection (Dec 2023 Update: Red Goblin Rider Helmet)

View attachment 1729852

Happy to announce that the collection is complete! I am so pumped to share the fruits of our collective labours, here's all of Sarah's books reunited once again!

Huge shout-out to everyone who contributed to identifying all of the above books. I had started trying to track these down years ago and gave up pretty soon after, so it blows my mind to see them all together.

The only book we were waiting on to identify was the Brother's Grimm one, which turned out to be this particular softcover edition. I ended up having to wait extra long for this one, because despite the initial eBay listing saying that I bought the softcover they ended up sending me a hardcover instead. So I had to track down a different seller and confirm they were actually sending me the softcover version, which finally arrived up here in Canada a short while ago.

View attachment 1729853

Also for fun, I ended up adding these two books to my collection. These don't appear in with the main group of books on Sarah's desk, but she does have them in the room (Though the Fungus book is only visible in a behind the scenes shot, to the best of my recollection anyways).

View attachment 1729855View attachment 1729854
View attachment 1729856

Also happy to show off my completed Hoggle bookend! Pretty happy with how he turned out, while he's not 100% accurate to the bookend in the film it at least feels like he could be, y'know? So much better than my original bookend anyways, this new bookend makes the original one I made look like a kids arts and crafts project.
View attachment 1729863View attachment 1729859View attachment 1729860View attachment 1729862
Damn, this looks outstanding! All the books lined up to a Tee. New Hoggle looks great, but don't be hard on yourself regarding the first one. Both fit the bill, and always continue to improve your techniques. Love the display!

Thanks everyone! Thrilled to see everyone sharing their love for both my latest project and Labyrinth in general!

Just catching up on this thread for the first time. Incredible work. Truly a joy to watch your progress.

On this note, I wanted to share the side by side with my initial Hoggle sculpt. As OzReturner mentioned I should probably cut myself some slack... but that said, I am so pleased to see such a huge leap in my skill and quality. Thanks again to everyone who shared their kudos, here's hoping I haven't peaked with this one!

20230817_191344.jpg

Had to share this as soon as I saw it... one of Jareth's amulets has just shown up on Prop Store for Auction!

Lot #237: LABYRINTH (1986) - Goblin King Jareth's (David Bowie) Pendant

JarethAmulet.PNG
JarethAmulet6.PNG
JarethAmulet4.PNG
JarethAmulet7.PNG

I'm guessing based on the back of the amulet that this is a back-up/production copy of one of the amulets that formed the belt of the outfit Jareth wore when he gave Hoggle the cursed peach, judging by the odd closure and hooks on the back. As far as I'm aware the original outft (With intact belt) is still in the possession of the MoPOP museum, so that's why I'm figuring this is a copy of some sort. Though could be completely wrong on that assumption, that's just my best guess as to why there are those hooks on the back, maybe they weren't for the belt and were instead to sew the amulet down to Jareth's various shirts so it wouldn't shift around?

1696991352215.png

Regardless, so absolutely pumped to see this prop in such glorious detail!

Had to share this as soon as I saw it... one of Jareth's amulets has just shown up on Prop Store for Auction!

Lot #237: LABYRINTH (1986) - Goblin King Jareth's (David Bowie) Pendant

View attachment 1749494View attachment 1749496View attachment 1749495View attachment 1749497
I'm guessing based on the back of the amulet that this is a back-up/production copy of one of the amulets that formed the belt of the outfit Jareth wore when he gave Hoggle the cursed peach, judging by the odd closure and hooks on the back. As far as I'm aware the original outft (With intact belt) is still in the possession of the MoPOP museum, so that's why I'm figuring this is a copy of some sort. Though could be completely wrong on that assumption, that's just my best guess as to why there are those hooks on the back, maybe they weren't for the belt and were instead to sew the amulet down to Jareth's various shirts so it wouldn't shift around?

View attachment 1749498

Regardless, so absolutely pumped to see this prop in such glorious detail!

Ooooh. I might have to model that pendant tomorrow and put it in my free section. :D

One last update regarding Sarah's book collection, courtesy of the great and powerful OzReturner! I had mentioned in a post on my blog how there were these little books on Sarah's desk that went unidentified, but I was hanging up my detective's hat as I was satisfied enough with having collected the main books in Sarah's collection.

1698107260724.png

1698107288041.png

Well, OzReturner wasn't so easily satisfied, and he was able to track down those minibooks! It turns out they're all part of the same collection, The Nutshell Library by Maurice Sendak. Yet another Sendak entry in Sarah's collection!

1698107273964.png

1698107391198.png

Huge thank you to OzReturner, now that these books have been identified I feel silly giving up the ghost so soon! Very happy to have added these to my collection, I'm one step closer to being able to completely recreate that panning shot of Sarah's desk in the beginning of the film (I still need to get off my butt and plan how I'm gonna recreate her scrapbook...).

One last update regarding Sarah's book collection, courtesy of the great and powerful OzReturner! I had mentioned in a post on my blog how there were these little books on Sarah's desk that went unidentified, but I was hanging up my detective's hat as I was satisfied enough with having collected the main books in Sarah's collection.

View attachment 1754146

View attachment 1754148

Well, OzReturner wasn't so easily satisfied, and he was able to track down those minibooks! It turns out they're all part of the same collection, The Nutshell Library by Maurice Sendak. Yet another Sendak entry in Sarah's collection!

View attachment 1754147
View attachment 1754149
Huge thank you to OzReturner, now that these books have been identified I feel silly giving up the ghost so soon! Very happy to have added these to my collection, I'm one step closer to being able to completely recreate that panning shot of Sarah's desk in the beginning of the film (I still need to get off my butt and plan how I'm gonna recreate her scrapbook...).
Happy to have helped you finish off the desk books! They look great!

Jareth_Crop_1_sm.jpg

Wanted to give making Jareth's crop another go, partly because right after making my realised how inaccurate my first attempt was! This one is still not 100% there, but I think it's a lot closer to the spirit of the original prop.

As far as I know we don't have any good shots of the original prop, which seems to be in the possession of the Bowie family (Based on how it so far has only appeared at a Bowie themed exhibition that someone snuck a camera into a few years back).

1699824600840.png

I tried to do my best guesstimate at the overall proportions of the prop by comparing it to Bowie's known height (5ft 8 in). I'm not confident in these numbers given that Jareth's hair, pose, heels, etc., all make it hard to accurately apply the height scale in this photo, but I'm hoping things are close enough to accurate.

1699824730228.png

The crop was made from two different sized wooden dowels, a 7/8 inch and 7/16 inch one. The 7 16 inch rod was wrapped in leather binding tape, with some additional leather used to form the slappy bit on the end. I drilled into each rod so that they can slot together, with the joint strengthened by a wood pin.
1699824852485.png
1699825160617.png
1699824861447.png

1699824824180.png
1699824834138.png

The metal part was made out of the thicker wooden dowel, with some wires to form the base of the "talons" and the metal texture being made out of black worbla. There's also a part of a wooden door knob in there to form that little lip area at the bottom of the metal handle. The crystal is a 50mm contact juggling ball, which is just loose enough that I can pry it out for painting. The paint went like this: primer layer, black glossy spray paint, silver spray paint, black wash, silver rub n'buff on just the highlights.
1699824995894.png
1699825003838.png
1699825034073.png

Pretty pleased with this upgrade! I don't think I'll be attempting this build again unless we get some better quality photos of the actual prop so I can go for full accuracy.

Jareth_Crop_4_sm.jpg
Jareth_Crop_2_sm.jpg
Jareth_Crop_3_sm.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back