JFcustom's FOAM files

002.JPG001.JPGMore Bondo and sanding.

Am hoping to start building with foam over my uni break and was wondering what thickness foam would you recommend for the Rinzler and Wolverine helms?

I would use 5mm or 6mm foam. That's just because of the wings on Wolvie's cowl and it helps with support and making the angles for Rinzler. But I use those widths for everything since it is overall easier to work with. It all depends on what YOU feel comfortable using when you start. :D

Attachments

• 20131204_054256.jpg
    20131204_054256.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 333
I would use 5mm or 6mm foam. That's just because of the wings on Wolvie's cowl and it helps with support and making the angles for Rinzler. But I use those widths for everything since it is overall easier to work with. It all depends on what YOU feel comfortable using when you start. :D

Nice edges on Wolverine, D-mine never get that good,I'm waaaay too impatient!

Probably was my friend. I was just curious since i am watching the movie right now and i forgot i had the file and since foam is working with everyone specially difficult files such as the Xenomorph , Briareros and other files that have lots of detail. I am the one that ask him to ask you about the iron Man helmet lol . Ill tell him to send it to you.
It reminds me I'm sure someone has sent me a similar file, I said I'll convert it, and still did not. Now I can't mannage to find the message, the sender, or the file (because well organized)... Was it you ?

have you everdone, or do you plan on doing a samus for foam?

I'm actually on it, for someone who should be building it. Boots shins thighs legs cod abs and helmet models are wearable and pdos are done. Arms and chest are still pending. Because I consider exclusivity as a good motivation, I was supposed to keep this suit secret untill hers was complete... (but I feel like if I wait for her you may never see a single file).

Last edited:
WOW JF you rock... I have got to say I would just replace my blades, which got expensive, I think this little sharpener of yours may save me big $$

great tips and awesome tricks... I am working on designing a hinge for foam out of 3D printed plastic... if you have any ideas or thoughts let me know... I would be willing to try to print them for you, maybe if we get good enough at it we can sell some of them here.

The main issue is a foam helmet keeps its shape because it's a one piece helmet. Split it in two parts, and you get two distorded parts.
So, first option : be sure to resin the one piece helmet before cutting the faceplate up. Then no distortion of the separated parts.
Second option : your hinge must embed a rigid frame that will sustain the borders of both faceplate and front helmet apperture. Just like a window without glass. This way each helmet part will feel like still connected to the other part, and won't distort. It means several hinge size for as many helmet scale factors. And several hinge models for several helmet models...
Hope you're an optimist ^^

Talking about helmets -> Omarbou1's mk7 helmet in progress :

Last edited:
I'm actually on it, for someone who should be building it. Boots shins thighs legs cod abs and helmet models are wearable and pdos are done. Arms and chest are still pending. Because I consider exclusivity as a good motivation, I was supposed to keep this suit secret untill hers was complete... (but I feel like if I wait for her you may never see a single file).

if you finish it, and get to release it id love a crack at it, gotta friend who loves samus and this would be an awesome way to say thanks for being my friend

Question: the Hawkman helmet is almost finished, and I want to give it a better finish than simple gold spraypaint. What would you suggest to give it a better metal look? Merci in advance:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back