Is the Prop Store of London Legit?

Hi all !!! i am still a newbie in props but purchased about 75% of my growing collection from them and must say i am very very pleased with them.
They are legit as far as i can say and very helpfull and warm !!!
everybody can make a mistake, even PiH auction describtion is often not correct with shown item !!!
keep on the good work Brandon & Tim !!!
regards
Dirk

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured we will investigate this as a priority.

Tim Lawes
General Manager
Propstore.

Of all the props to get called out on its one from bloody "Dungeons and Dragons"....laughs.

On a more serious note though the item comes with a letter from the director....Courtney Solomon. I know about this stuff because when it originally came on the ebay market I bought alot of it. Problem was Courtney was playing collector against collector and making it sound like there were only one of certain items and then BANG....you would find some other poor sap paid $2500 for one of the things that you had a stunt of and only paid $500 or even a hero and paid much less. Some people got stung pretty hard since when the auctions ended the value of the stuff folded almost instantly.
Really strange since the movie had been out many years and we already knew it was a stinker. I guess we just liked the Idea of owning something by Oscar winner Jeremy Irons....rather than the fact it was D & D the movie. In the end you see alot of this stuff on ebay now for $50-100 and its pretty sad it won't even sell for that.
Im sure its legit...just the case of a bad screencap, but of course go to most companies and yourprops and you see that all the time.
Im sure Tim is on this but bottom line yes Courtney offered them out there...yes Im sure it was used somewhere in the movie and yes its "Dungeons and Dragons". Nuff said.

Thanks for your patience guys while we looked into this

We have been through the film a couple more times and although similar, the dagger does not seem to match the one used by "Snails" (Marlon Wayans).

As previously mentioned this prop, along with numerous others we have listed, came directly from the director and producer of the movie Courtney Solomon. We will ask him to clarify the use of the dagger in the film. In the meantime, we have removed it from our site

Again, my sincere thanks for bringing this to our attention. Like all of you, We take authenticity extremely seriously and will always follow up any questions or issues on any piece we have listed.

Tim Lawes
General Manager
Prop Store

^ great customer service and thank you for the explanation :thumbsup

Totally professional and love the response.

Other prop houses may have not responded in the same manner. For instance, profiles in history is notorious for their responses to questionable items.

Last edited:
is the replica prop forum legit?

Not as legit as Prop Store. Most of our staff don't have cool British accents like the guys at Prop Store, but we do have a staff member with an awesome German accent, so that has to give us some legitimacy, right? Accents do still equate to legitimacy don't they?

Not as legit as Prop Store. Most of our staff don't have cool British accents like the guys at Prop Store, but we do have a staff member with an awesome German accent, so that has to give us some legitimacy, right? Accents do still equate to legitimacy don't they?

There you go Tim, cool accent... you lucky swine :lol

Us Nertherners or reet cumon in it!

I think if you follow any or all of the prop sellers who work in volume items you will find minor errors or mis id's here and there. I have seen them on the sites of most of the big names in the hobby.

Unlike the collectors who will go over ever detail of an item they want or are passionate about when you are dealing with multiple items, some of which as a fan/collector you just don't have interest in, the volume can cause little misteps.

As seen here by PSOL all the reputable dealers will fix or clarify this missteps when brought to there attention. In my experiences, everyone at propstore has always bent over backwards to assist if there was a problem or to answer a question.

I have dealt with them on alot of sales, never a problem, and they bend over backwards to help collectors out. They are a bit pricy at times but they always pack things perfectly and offer great customer service.

I have dealt with the Propstore of London and Mr. Lane since 1999. I'm not certain that a more legit Movie Prop institution exists.

One of the annoying things I have noticed about some RPF members over the years is their reluctance to pick up the phone to place a question preferring instead to speculate via forum.... Stephen and Tim are great guys and easily approachable should you have a concern or question.

I understand the expense of a transatlantic call might be beyond the reach of some people but there IS a L.A. branch.

I would say PSoL is as well regarded amongst the Screen Used collectors as Profiles in History.

Tim, you are aware of the differences between screen used, screen matched, production made and production used, correct?

A former member of the RPF started a board known as the Movie Prop Forum where a person can learn much about screen used collecting. The membership used to be open to everyone until some troublemakers [ banned fron this board ] joined up under false pretenses and were asked to leave.

That board is now under new management and those with legitimate interest may find the door open, should they wish to increase their knowledge. Weren't you a member, Tim? Briefly?

Jeff Simon

Last edited:
Fairly ironic thread here, considering that there's probably no dealer or auctioneer that has a better reputation for authentic props than the Prop Store. I've bought several pieces from them over the last year or so, and I'm quite happy with them all. Great props, great service. :thumbsup

My only criticism is that the descriptions at times lack a certain nuanced clarification of the prop's place in the film, or the prop's technical history. Sometimes, I would appreciate a more detailed, tighter description. And while it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that people call or email Tim, Brandon, and the other Prop Store staff (they are easy to reach) with questions about specific items, in reality, there often isn't time for that. Highly desirable pieces are often gone within minutes of listing. :wacko

In fact, I've been doing more business with the LA branch than the London store precisely because London lists items at 2 AM PDT, and by the time I see them in the morning, all the pieces I'd be seriously interested in are routinely already sold. I now check LA's listings every day at 10 AM, like many others (and probably more now.) :unsure

My only complaint about the Prop Store is that I don't own more pieces from the Prop Store. Every person I have encountered or wrote there has been courteous, professional, and helpful. Mistakes happen. Tim's response is just exhibit A to the compliments you have already read.

I 've just purchased two expensive pieces this week and another prop the week before and all i can say is fantastic service from both Sian & Tim. They are open to deal which is fantastic as i love to haggle (bit like the life of brian gort seller)...LOL.

Here's to the next purchase.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back