Is that all there is to Blue Ray?

Blue Ray was never impressive. Maybe a couple people that switch from tapes to BR were amazed, but having followed every trend, the BR one, to me, was a marketing scheme.

Anyways, i had my whole collection digitize years ago, i own a home system that i can access on any computer/tablet/tv's. I haven't put a CD in a player in quite sometime. Well unless its to copy it to my system after purchasing the DVD/BR.

I do have a small collection, but i have access to my family's collection in NY via good old internet streaming so i can grab anything from the thousands of movies they have.

Beats Netflix to a pulp.

Dude, where were have you been for the last few years?

If you'd have just posted earlier, you sure could have saved me thousands of dollars and thousand of hours, I have now wasted buying and watching Blu-rays.

And all this time it wasn't impressive. Damn.

The extra resolution on 2d animations made for theaters is nice too. Watching an old Disney flick or a newer NGE movie is very gratifying.

Laspector, I don't think you mentioned it, but is your Blu-ray player hooked up to your TV with an HDMI cable? If you're using the standard VGA cables that typically come with the players, you're basically watching the Blu-ray movie in SD. Also, is your TV calibrated properly? if the settings are off, the picture may not be as clear or vibrant as they should be.

I love Blu-ray movies. CGI films ad the movies that are remastered properly are absolutely amazing. I've noticed that older films like Warner's catalog titles (e.g., Casablanca, Ben-Hur, etc) look ridiculously gorgeous because the studio took the time to clean up and remaster the movies properly. But others that have issues like excessive DNR only look marginally better than their DVD counterparts.

Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. Bluray looks fantastic, compared to DVD. I think some of the posters above nailed it. Either you're not connected to your TV correctly, or you're tv isn't 1080p. Or you need to get to the eye doctor.
Mike

Keep in mind you won't really notice much unless you have a HDTV. Even then at first viewing you might not notice much. For me, after watching multiple Blu-ray discs, and then switching back to DVD, I notice a huge difference....then again I have a 65" 1080p TV. :p

Absolutely. And also consider the movies. While the LOTR series looks great, it was shot some years ago now. Not sure what kinda movies you're into, but try the new Star Wars reboot, SW Episode III; anything that was shot all digital.

Blu is an amazing format.

My biggest problem with Blu-Ray is my Blu-Ray player, which is a SHARP.

I bought it to integrate it wiith my SHARP AQUOS T.V. which I am very happy with. The SHARP player, however, bites. It constantly needs a firmware or software upgrade, which SHARP is constantly delinquint in posting anything about on their HomePage.

I just got the new GHOSTRIDER Blu-Ray and nothing on it will play but the previews. Now I gotta spend thirty minutes tracking down the problem. Never had to deal with this on DVD. I imagine if has purchased one of the more expensive SONY Blu-Ray players this problem would be minimized.

My biggest problem with Blu-Ray is my Blu-Ray player, which is a SHARP.

I bought it to integrate it wiith my SHARP AQUOS T.V. which I am very happy with. The SHARP player, however, bites. It constantly needs a firmware or software upgrade, which SHARP is constantly delinquint in posting anything about on their HomePage.

I just got the new GHOSTRIDER Blu-Ray and nothing on it will play but the previews. Now I gotta spend thirty minutes tracking down the problem. Never had to deal with this on DVD. I imagine if has purchased one of the more expensive SONY Blu-Ray players this problem would be minimized.

You shouldn't tell anyone you got the new Ghostrider :p

This is one reason why enjoy my PS3 so much...I've never had any issues like this and it also allows me to hook up my Hard drive to it so I can stream anything I have on there!

That HVD Disk link on the first page is interesting, if it's been developed so far I wonder how much the machine cost is, and how much those disks cost? The thing I keep wondering about is just how good the 3D Blu-Ray movies are.

I never really saw the big deal about blu ray at first but my buddy showed me 30 Days of Night on his HDTV on blu ray and I was blown away. Now I won't buy anything on DVD unless I absolutely have to. I've repurchased some of my DVD's on Blu Ray but not many.

Anyone have 3D Blu Ray? Seems to be more and more titles coming out, worth it? I would have to update TV as well if went down that path.

I love BR! Most titles have been remastered (not always true) so you get better overall picture and sound. Even older movies look fantastic as long as they do it right. I always check the reviews on BR sites to see how the transfer is -- all are not created equal. I'd say you start to notice the better clarity at 40'' and above screen size, but the color and sound is better at any size.

I don't do 3D so I can't comment on that.

Doug

Blu is da bomb!!!!

My first Blu-Ray I watched was 2001 and I nearly ****e myself on the dawn of man sequence

The equipment is not the problem so far - they still want to make it rewritable.

That HVD Disk link on the first page is interesting, if it's been developed so far I wonder how much the machine cost is, and how much those disks cost? The thing I keep wondering about is just how good the 3D Blu-Ray movies are.

I remember seeing the first HD TV sets and not being impressed at all by the quality of the image. But most were showing SD images or 720p quality. The first real HD really had me impressed. I had a HD monitor long before I upgraded my TV and I used it to play BD, and the image is razor sharp as it is on my HD TV. I can see a definite difference between DVD and BD quality though some films have a better transfer than others.

But seriously if you have the proper set-up Blu-ray is phenominal.I remember reading on Sonys web site a while ago that if the set-up is right and the Blu-ray is produced properly the picture can be up to 5x the quality of dvd.When I say 5x the quality I don`t just mean resolution but also color depth and vividness.I will see if I can find a link.

Edit.Here`s the link.

https://www.facebook.com/TheViewingLounge?sk=app_165925930166134

Last edited:
Some things that are good about the Blu-ray Format

6x as many Pixels as NTSC DVD and 5x as many Pixels as PAL DVD (1080p is very nearly the same frame size as 2k used in commercial digital cinema)
Capacity to have lossless, master quality, multi-channel audio
Up to 50 GB of storage
Data rate of up to 54 Mb per second (DVD topped out at 9.5 Mb per second)
Use of more efficient compression codecs than MPEG-2 used on DVD
Room for further development to add additional benefits (eg. 3D was added to the spec)

Some things which could have been better

The colour gamut chosen is very nearly the same as that used for DVD
The video is still 8 bits per channel (professional video is usually 10 bit or higher)
Spec changes required a new player to take advantage of them (unless you had a PS3)
More DRM
More frequent firmware upgrades required
Region coding sucks (but that was the same for DVD)

In my opinion the good far outweighs the bad.

While a bigger gamut or higher bit depth for colour would be nice, in the real world the number of people who would see the difference is probably vanishingly small. That is if they had the equipment to benefit from it.

The firmware upgrades can be a pain in the backside, especially if you have an off-brand player. It is for that reason alone I always spend a bit more to get a player from one of the more reliable brands.

If you can't see the difference from DVD (assuming you are watching a disc with a high quality transfer), either the player or TV is set up wrong, you are sitting too far from the screen, or you need new glasses.

If a film looks bad on Blu-ray it is almost certainly a source elements/mastering issue.

Older films can look just as good as anything shot yesterday with the latest digital camera: film negative is an inherently high definition medium. In fact many of the best looking films I've watched on Blu-ray have been older than I am.

Lawrence of Arabia comes out in September, and if rumours are to be believed it should set a new high-water mark for Blu-ray releases: new or catalogue. The film is 50 years old.

Cool! I was wondering when we'd see those.

I read about holo-discs in New Scientist a little while ago. The ones on the article were for corporate computing and could store up to 250 TB. One was still a prototype and had a really fast read rate (something like 12GB per second), but not as much capacity (about 120ish TB), the other one was ready for release at time of print, had an enormous storage capacity, but had a much slower read rate.

The differences were down to how the read lasers worked.

The prototype had clusters of static heads that always accessed curtain areas while a second head moved round the disc, thus giving it a quicker read time.

The other one had a two axis head that could tilt thereby accessing different places of a holographic storage area in a given lane. It was slower at reading, but the holographic storage was genious, and basicly gave it two walls and a roof to store stuff on on every track, hence the massive storage size.

I'm still on the fence about blu-ray. I get what people are saying, but not sure of its worth the cost at the mo. Plus, even if your screen can do 1080p, all Blu-ray play at 720p anyway, if the sales guys say otherwise, they're not being straight with you.

with the potontial Holo-disc comming out, blu ray might be a short lived format anyway.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back