Iron Man MkIII suit animatronics

Thanks guys! I'll post a video as soon as I get the rest of the electronics installed in the helmet.

Last edited:
Here's pics of the helmet electronics. Everything fits in the chin section and it's pretty well hidden from view when the helmet is open- you really only see the green LED and that's if you're looking down on the helmet. This is just a test fit- I'll have to clean up the wiring. :)

Still working on the eyes and the glove controller and then I'll have video.

IMhelmetElectronics.jpg

IMhelmetElectronicsInstalled3.jpg

IMhelmetElectronicsInstalled2.jpg

IMhelmetElectronicsInstalled1.jpg

Very nice design, very well thought out.
My only concern would be the electronics are currently sitting where you'll be breathing, so there will be a lot of condensation from your breath, you'll need to look into insulating the electronics a bit more.

Jonny,
if you notice Honus states that this is a test fit to make sure all the pieces will fit in the limited space he has. I'm 110% certain that he's already thought about this. More than likely he's going to cover his parts. He's just showing how they fit for us in the RPF. 

I like the linkage that moves the chin and faceplate - nice design. How are you finding the servos coping with the high leverage against the weight of the faceplate?

Also does the faceplate hinge independently of the arms it's on - basically do the bolts near the eyes actually swivel or are they fixed?

I like the linkage that moves the chin and faceplate - nice design. How are you finding the servos coping with the high leverage against the weight of the faceplate?

Also does the faceplate hinge independently of the arms it's on - basically do the bolts near the eyes actually swivel or are they fixed?

Thanks- glad you like it. I thought your servo system for moving the lid was very clever and elegant too.

The faceplate on this helmet is very light and the chin section acts as a counter weight. As the chin moves down the faceplate moves up- it takes very little force to move it. I did initially have concerns about friction in the hinge system and the pivot links that locate the top of the faceplate so I chose some very strong servos- the stall torque is 88 oz/in for each servo.

The faceplate does move independently of the arms- it has to pivot there or the system would bind.

Jonny,
if you notice Honus states that this is a test fit to make sure all the pieces will fit in the limited space he has. I'm 110% certain that he's already thought about this. More than likely he's going to cover his parts. He's just showing how they fit for us in the RPF. 

Yep- I've got that covered! It's just a test fit so the wiring will be cleaned up a lot as well.

Yes I put a lot of time and effort into designing the hinges so they move very smooth all independently and the faceplate is far lighter than any that others make. It is almost half the weight of a standard resin cast and 2/3rd that of the Fiberglass pieces I was making.
Rest assured I made this to work very smooth and proper in the mastering stage. ;)

Yes I put a lot of time and effort into designing the hinges so they move very smooth all independently and the faceplate is far lighter than any that others make. It is almost half the weight of a standard resin cast and 2/3rd that of the Fiberglass pieces I was making.
Rest assured I made this to work very smooth and proper in the mastering stage. ;)

I have to say when I first saw the single hinge/track/ball link system of raising the faceplate I thought it was a really clever solution but I had my doubts as to how much friction it would generate, possibly leading to binding as the faceplate was raised.

Those doubts were totally unfounded. When the helmet was brought to me to animate I was extremely impressed by Clinton's craftsmanship and how well everything worked and fit together. Finhead should be at the very top of anyone's list when looking to purchase Iron Man armor.

The owner of the suit also just brought me the upper torso section and arm pieces to figure out the shoulder rockets and forearm rocket. All of it is just perfect. Now I just have to figure out how to stuff everything in there but I've done some preliminary work and have some good ideas.

Greg, I know you're going to be super nervous when we go to cut the armor but it'll be OK. I promise. :)

Here's what the glove controller setup looks like-

GloveController.jpg

You can see the small button RFID tags on the fingertips and the reader on the palm. The super bright LED for the repulsor will sit just above the reader. The controller and radio will be mounted inside the forearm section and will control the hand repulsors, forearm rocket and helmet. It will also send control signals to the back flaps, shoulder rocket controller and sound board.

NFC like it's never been used before! Very cool. Can't wait to see this in action

Yep! I was looking for a way to do simple fingertip controls that would work with the armor gloves when the idea hit me. Of course there's still room in the gloves if you wanted to use bend sensors too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back