Iron Man MkIII suit animatronics

I love seeing the progress on this.. only problem is that, the more I see, the more I want to do to mine!! but I keep telling myself that I need to move on to a new project, haha.

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone- been working like mad (read as staying up all hours of the night- LOL) in order to get this done in time for Halloween. I'm taking lots of pictures and notes as I go for the tutorial. Greg is coming over for the suit up a few days before Halloween so we'll have some video of the suit at that time and then I'll have the whole tutorial written up. It's going to be a monster of a write up but I'll try to make as easy to follow as possible. :)

I also entered into a Tested.com contest called The Inventern to work with Adam Savage for a week and I was lucky enough to make it to the semi finalist round! They wanted people to submit a short video showing what they are currently working on so I threw together a little video about this suit build and they featured it. Now on to the next challenge where they narrow it down to three people!

Here's the link to the ten semi finalists and the next challenge. It's not going to be easy...

The Inventern: Episode 4 - Tested

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add more pics!

Here's the torso with the arms on. These are connected using short flush head screws and adjustable straps with quick release buckles so they can be easily adjusted.

Here's the inside of the hip pod face plate. The moving lever on the outside of the face plate is driven by a micro servo. I made a sliding hinge mechanism using music wire and brass tubing- it's super simple. The hip pod face plate is really thick so it required a fair bit of material removal in order to get everything to fit.

Everything looks amazing man! Thanks for your help with my electronics couldn't have done it without you! I'm definitely going wireless and even more ambitious next suit! One simple question for now though...how you you attach,your servos? I used hot glue and super glue to the fiberglass resin inside of the helmet and after about a half hour of use they popped off and so my auto faceplate became a down and out one

Everything looks amazing man! Thanks for your help with my electronics couldn't have done it without you! I'm definitely going wireless and even more ambitious next suit! One simple question for now though...how you you attach,your servos? I used hot glue and super glue to the fiberglass resin inside of the helmet and after about a half hour of use they popped off and so my auto faceplate became a down and out one

I used heavy duty velcro to mount the servos. I attach the velcro using superglue with an accelerator- works like a charm.

Did a test fitting yesterday with Greg-

Honus, you are my hero. I quit working on my Mark III because I just couldn't bring myself to finish it until it was as movie accurate as possible. I don't have any experience programming or building servo set ups, so the fact that you are going to create a tutorial is fantastic. For someone who doesn't have any experience with this kind of thing, what do you think the time frame would be for building the entire animatronic set would be, with all materials on hand?

Honus, you are my hero. I quit working on my Mark III because I just couldn't bring myself to finish it until it was as movie accurate as possible. I don't have any experience programming or building servo set ups, so the fact that you are going to create a tutorial is fantastic. For someone who doesn't have any experience with this kind of thing, what do you think the time frame would be for building the entire animatronic set would be, with all materials on hand?

Thanks- that's very kind of you to say! The hardest part has been just figuring everything out- getting the movements right, making things fit, determining how the systems will work, etc. The one thing you want to do is to have your suit built and fitted to you (but not painted) before even thinking about adding the animatronic parts- that will save you a lot of headaches later. Once you have a complete suit and all of your electronics on hand I'd probably say you're looking at anywhere upwards of 100 hours- it really depends on your skill level, problem solving ability and the complexity of animatronics you want to install.

Congrats on being the finallist list of the intern. Love the work that you've put into this build. I don't quite know how you do it. Work the build, the intern. If i had to guess, you seemed to figure out on how to freeze time. LOL Can't wait for the tutorials and thanx for your contribution of knowledge and skill. Just amazing...GM

Congrats on being the finallist list of the intern. Love the work that you've put into this build. I don't quite know how you do it. Work the build, the intern. If i had to guess, you seemed to figure out on how to freeze time. LOL Can't wait for the tutorials and thanx for your contribution of knowledge and skill. Just amazing...GM

It's easy- I don't sleep! :)

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the Inventern final round but that's OK.

Man you so should have won! Your work is amazing! As with the hundreds of others I am following this thread and awaiting patiently to see the suit in action and the tutorials. I am def doing this helmet setup and like to do the shoulder rockets as well along with the RF setup in the gloves! Amazing man!!!

honus wheres the tutorial ? ..... oh yeah thats right greg is working you to death on his suit and you have a job , kids, and 90000 other things to do .....i'll shut up and wait patiently some more!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back