Iron Man Mk3 Build

Wow has it already been a weekend?!? I got sidetracked on my build by having the flooring for the last three rooms of my renovation arrive! I have to say thanks to Blackwind for keeping me posted on his build as it gave me the motivation to power through all 3 rooms in 2 days one night from gut to rebuild! I did however find a few minutes to work on my Zabana boot! Here is the latest update picture!
IMG_6864.jpg

I tell you compared to the Robo boot it is so much more technical, but boy is it sweet!:love It basically aligns itself and comes out very precise...but it is slow going for me as I am still new. LOL! I actually passed building the helmet first as I though it very tecnical and tough looking! :facepalmThis is probably the same. but I am very pleased.
If anyone has made a mold of their boot for casting, especially the Zabana I really need some ideas as to how to lay my molds...I want to mold then pour in polyurethane resin or some such!
Thanks M

So as I said I am working my way up from the bottom to the top! Thanks in a huge way to Dancin_Fool for his "Final" MK 3 pdo's! Here is a couple of shots of the shin in progress. I had a moment where I thought it might be turning out smaller after a test fit of the main shin body... Nah...tooo much pep, not enough sleep LOL!:facepalm
roughfit2.jpg

Dancin_Fool had told me that no up scaling would be needed for a basic build and he is correct. I will need to reasses if that will be needed after I am done and test fit some servo motors in as I want to have the flaps deploy! Might need a tiny bit more room, might not. my micros I have in stock are pretty tiny...Ill keep you all posted.
I stand about 6 even and forgot about all the extra parts on the lower shin.:facepalm So I rushed a test fit with masking tape.. here are two pics. Any imperfections or misalignments are mine and not the pep. it is rough lined up with tape and does not reflect the final assembly and finishing!
roughfit3.jpg

Note the elegant lines. Dancin has really captured the grace and racy lines that they had on the MK3 in Iron Man one. Which I think reflected the tone of the movie.. He wanted sporty, sexy and functional for his test frame! Less utilitarian and more style! :love
roughfit2.jpg

I cant wait to post the finished pictures. I am debating doing away with all the edge folds and trim to put Depron strips as replacement or do both edge strips and depron as the edge strips help pull everything in line.. well TYL
M

Well after a screw up that caused me to have to rebuild my shin as I left out a ridge on the knee and the shin itself... Super nice detail now that Im rebuilding! LOL! Shout out to my good friend Blackwindpep87 for teaching my about the roller on my mouse to bring the 3D image closer to the screen so you can see small details LOL!:facepalm:lol
Here is my new knee from Dancing_Fools mastful pep!
knee2.jpg

Dont know if it is against pep protocol but I found a great use for that case of popsickle sticks I had laying about. I hate unsupported edges so lined them with cut pieces of stick so they dont sag when I resin them...but man these edges are sharp and the knee sits laser flat on my glass table! Very happy!
knee3.jpg

On to the upper calf pieces! My plan is to build all the small shin/calf pieces and use them for the final alignment before I resin.

Good idea on using the popsicle sticks. It's a shame you had to rebuild but it'll just be that much better this time around. I didn't realize you didn't know about using mouse scroll for the zooming in for the 3d model, I would have said something lol! It's annoying though that there's only rotate and zoom in 3d view, no camera pan.

Thanks! The popsickle sticks worked out great! :love The edges get so beat up from handling and sag from the resin due to moisture and this seems to help.
LOL! the scroll thing, is funny though!:facepalm I jumped in so quick I really didnt mess with figuring out the pep designer!! Here are the recompleted knee and the calf cover. I am very excited that while I dont think there is eough room inside the shin side of the lower leg assemblies, there is more than enough rooom to mount a mini servo on each of the calf flap pieces
calfplateservotest.jpg

This test fit of the micro servo in the calf flap shows plenty of room. I would throw on an extra long stiff servo arm on the servo then a short control horn on the shin pieces and the throw would be enough to deploy the flap very far! I believe two servos, one on each side of this piece and then one on each ankle flap. Probably six servos per ankle. They can be ganged together so only on or two control switches needed for both legs... Thinking magnetic switches under the hip discs or some such... no one need know these would all be externally controlled witha little slight of hand and a magnet in a couple of finger tips!! :love:cool

Progress, who needs progress, I am a slow, fussy builder. Another reason to love pepakura..I musta been Japanese my last life! I am in this for the long haul so here are a couple of the pieces for the lower leg. The knee cover and the calf plate/flap.
Thanks Dancin_Fool for your support and keeping me posted about your Pep files!
M

uppercalfpiecesknee.jpg

Thanks Jayjayn! I have a long way to go, but I really want to mechanize as much of the suit as possible. It will be fun and intersting to do as a project! What are you wanting to mech? My goal is all the back flaps and calves.... Maybe someday the forearms....
I have a pretty solid background in RC airplanes so making flaps work is no issue.. Though I will either have to take a part one of my transmitters or scratch build a controller. I look forward to watching your build, hope your going to post pictures!
M

So here is an interesting and long winded tangent! I am rebuilding my calves using the Excellent Dancin_Fool files and I made a goof. I missed a piece of detail that really adds dimension to the build. What I missed was a V channel that goes across the calf and a depresson in both sides of the knee. Well if you've ever built V channels out of 8 or so minute pieces of cardstock you probably know how hard it is to make them turn out sharp. I want a very sharp build and nice "Panel Lines" where the breaks occur and what I did was terrible as I am striving to be as outstanding as Surreal Studios and so many of the ultra sharp builders. Here is a pic of the finished seam... Stinks in the worst way!:sick Mostly because it is too wide and varies greatly in width and depth, so not very uniform as a machined panel line should be. I do know you can cut them in later, :unsure but with what as a guide and hopefully a very stready hand LOL!
Flawedseam2.jpg

I tore it apart immediately because it is not up to standard.
I asked myself, "self? WWTSD? What would Tony Stark Do? :cool
I decided to be creative and use some airplane ideas! I ran thin strips of soaked hard balsa at the seams and working to keep the seam curves glued them on and dried them with a hot blow dryer to maintain the curves imparted by the cardstock pattern.
I then laminated on a 0.03mm piece of hard carbon fiber with CA glue for an edge that looks like this.:love
nicecarbonedge.jpg

After I placed little aircraft plywood buttons along the seam below the edges so that they will be hidden deep in the seam and give a nice consistant thickness to my gap.
joinerbuttons.jpg

Followed by mating the seams with CA glue.
Carbonseaminmaking.jpg

It was a little tricky to do by myself with one near miss fingers glued together moment :wacko but if you go slow and do two buttons at a time you"ll be ok!
I am going to get CA kicker or accelerator tomorrow as I pass the hobby shop. Much quicker to use kickker! :p
What you end up with is a seam that when the piece is done it can be taken apart or dremmeled out later after filling and sanding without damaging the structure of the piece. Much better than the first one in my opinion... Why all the trouble? I believe that the finished product is based on the quality of the understructure. So I basically just build a curving, flexible U channel that when cut out should yield a very pretty panel line/gap! Mucho better!
carbonseam.jpg

Well back to the build!

Dont worry too much about that groove around the knee you can build it out with filler in the detail stage "ALOT" of imperfections in the build of the pep can be corrected when you apply the filler. I also never even bother with the little tiny pep detail lines, I fill right over them and put them in , in the detailing stage

Last edited:
You've never done pep before and this is your first set of stuff? Either I'm an idiot, or you're some kind of papercraft savant. :cry

LOL! Now Surreal tells me! hehe!:lol
Thanks TKSteve and Surreal. I am throwing alot of bad attempts away too! Sometimes I think I have it then boom! :facepalm
I am just a very experienced RC Plane person. Covering an airframe is alot like Pep and building a plane as well for that matter. But it is very nice of you to say so. :$
I am deeply inspired by the great builders here on RPF and feel I need to go above and beyond, dig deep into my skills as it were! I have a super long way to go and you should have seen my attempt at a helmet! LOL! It was beyond fubar... :eek The eyes man, the eyes!

The build is looking great. I wouldn't sweat the groove lines too much, like Surreal says a lot of that detail can be fixed up later. I love your solution though, that's great!

Well the channel I made will actually be as much for asthetics as for me to have a guide to cut the pieces back apart on a very good guideline as I intend to ultimately make all the calf flaps operational with servos! Probably overkill...LOL! :behave
I have to laugh ProjectEarth! You are so right and I am so excited to be getting that helmet!! After cruising the forum and starting my build ,I quickly realized how tough it would be to do a helmet up right. Especially as shell heads most visible TM is that helmet.....:love
My free time is worth what I make at work when it comes to very time/skill related work. I am a reasonably good craftsman and hobby person. but Project is an Artist! I bought that helmet straight out!! LOL! He solved my problem and honestly it is a bargain because he is sending me the best helmet ever!! ::cool
And I get to spend my time working on other projects...like the flooring I just lay in the bedrooms. Boy is my wife happy! I can Pep and Iron Man all my free time without a fight!! :lol

On a more serious note, I would love some advice on molding these parts! I have watched a bazillion videos on YouTube but will bow to the Masters for information/pictures of your favorite laying up/casting methods as well as which materials make the best end products!!
M

Lookin' Good brotha'! Is that a maniquin in the background of that pic? For the full suit display when you are done? Do it! Have fun and welcome to the world of IM Builders!

Yes! I was torn between calling him Tony :confused Or Iron Mannequin,:cool but Iron Mannequin won out! I wanted a place to hang the armor as I built it so that it wouldnt get damaged and to display it on in the house when done. LOL! I told my wife I was going to do a cool PVC rack and she was like "hmmmm?!? I dont think so..." :angry so I bought the mannequin. Funny thing is we keep forgetting we have it and get startled when we open the door to the room!:lol
i think I saw you at Comicon Orlando when Stan Lee was giving his QA and you really inspired me! I have been an Iron Man fan since I was a kid. Even have Iron Man #1 So I decided to live the dream man...well as close as you can with out repulsors or flying, or having shrapnel near my heart...*sigh* or being a billionaire playboy philanthropist! :wacko :lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back