Iron Man Mk III build (UK) Eyes, Voice control and paint on helmet

Re: Iron Man Mk III pep build (UK)

I got mine at my local home depot for about 20$ a set of 6 iirc.
Great deal and really useful in all my project!

Search for Nicholson Hobby File Set @ Home Depot

S-T42030.gif

Cheers for the info Bigturc. I'll be buying a set of them soon. The dremel worked fine for the bicep grooves in the end.

Here's a minor update on the arm. Just a very small amount of sanding to do on it now.

DSC08582.jpg

Couldn't resist trying it on for size too :)

DSC08592.jpg

Wow, that's taking shape nicely! amazing what a bit of solid colour does to help to show form. like you say after some more sanding you'll be onto a winner there! :thumbsup

Wow, that's taking shape nicely! amazing what a bit of solid colour does to help to show form. like you say after some more sanding you'll be onto a winner there! :thumbsup

Thanks Steve. I'm already looking at pieces and saying "wow, I can't believe I made that" If only it took a lot less time :unsure

Here's an update on the bucket. It's far from finished though.

DSC08626.jpg

Hey Bamboodia, nice build!

I'm building a Mark4, started ages ago and you are already ahead of me :)
Shame on me!

Where in Wales do you live btw? Anywhere near Caernarfon?

Looking good man!!!

Thank you Crank :)

Hey Bamboodia, nice build!

I'm building a Mark4, started ages ago and you are already ahead of me :)
Shame on me!

Where in Wales do you live btw? Anywhere near Caernarfon?

Thanks Matt, I'm putting in about 40 hours a week on this build. It's like a second job to me at the moment :D

I almost couldn't be further from Caernarfon but still be in Wales. I'm in Chepstow.

Hey guys, Another update on the build. This time some progress on one of the calfs. I'm still working on the helmet but it's proving to be a lot more fiddly than I expected. I will post an update on the helmet soon.

Here's a pic of the calf.

DSC08634.jpg

There's still a bit of work to do on it. The cutouts on the knees need some detailing and the details around the ankles need putting in but it's pretty much there. I've cut out the rear flaps and heel guard as I'm hoping to make these movable in the future.

Hope you like it :D

can you please post some detail pictures for the helms. cuz im making mine and i got alots a gap like your.... i would like to know how you over come the gaps issue

thanks
long

Hey guys, Another update on the build. This time some progress on one of the calfs. I'm still working on the helmet but it's proving to be a lot more fiddly than I expected. I will post an update on the helmet soon.

Here's a pic of the calf.

DSC08634.jpg

There's still a bit of work to do on it. The cutouts on the knees need some detailing and the details around the ankles need putting in but it's pretty much there. I've cut out the rear flaps and heel guard as I'm hoping to make these movable in the future.

Hope you like it :D
looks very amazing bambo gerat job !!

Nice work on this build, things are looking good !

Cheers Surreal. That's like being told by Yoda that I make a good Jedi :)

can you please post some detail pictures for the helms. cuz im making mine and i got alots a gap like your.... i would like to know how you over come the gaps issue

I'm working on the gaps at the moment, which is taking some time. I'm just placing a small amount of filler on the edge of the faceplate or main section of the helmet and then sanding and applying more where needed. I'll hopefully have the gaps sealed later today so will post a pic for you.

looks very amazing bambo gerat job !!

Thank you very much David. It's not as good as yours, but, for a first time attempt I'm happy with it :)

Awesome work, I hope mine comes out half as good.

Got a little tip which might help with the gaps. Get one side (lets say the faceplate) smoothed and finished how you want it. Stick some brown parcel tape neatly over the good edges and apply filler to the unfinished part (the helmet shell in my example), more than is needed. Fit the 2 pieces together and let the filler dry. The tape prevents the parts sticking to each other and when set you have 2 faces made for each other. I've used this in the past to fix odd car spoiler feet and it works well on that.

Awesome work, I hope mine comes out half as good.

Got a little tip which might help with the gaps. Get one side (lets say the faceplate) smoothed and finished how you want it. Stick some brown parcel tape neatly over the good edges and apply filler to the unfinished part (the helmet shell in my example), more than is needed. Fit the 2 pieces together and let the filler dry. The tape prevents the parts sticking to each other and when set you have 2 faces made for each other. I've used this in the past to fix odd car spoiler feet and it works well on that.

Thanks Simon and cheers for the great tip. This would of saved me at least a couple of hours on my previous method and has saved me countless hours on future pieces that need cutting and fitting back together. Much appreciated.

I've been working away on the helmet for the past few days using the brown paper method but instead of using brown paper between the faceplate and main body I used thin carrier bags instead as I found it easier to follow the contours. It worked a treat. :)

Here's a pic of how the helmet stands at the moment. I'm quite happy with it :D

DSC08692.jpg

This was going to be a bigger update as I thought I had finished the chest piece but noticed a mistake that I had made so will update that tomorrow after I have fixed the problem. Watch this space ;)

great stuff bud im just coming to the end of building the mark 6 out of foam but id love to do a proper suit yours looks awsome well done :)

Looks good bambo great Job!

Thanks David :thumbsup

great stuff bud im just coming to the end of building the mark 6 out of foam but id love to do a proper suit yours looks awsome well done :)

Thank you. I quite often look at the foam suits and wish I'd gone with making one instead as I'm starting to get a bit tired of being covered in a mixture of dust, body filler and fibreglass :) Best of luck finishing your build.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back