Iron Man Mk III build (UK) Eyes, Voice control and paint on helmet

Re: Iron Man Mk III pep build (UK)

Guys,
There's a big sticky at the begining of this forum, I strongly suggest you read it .. all the info is in there.

Here`s the link to download the software:
Pepakura Designer

Let's get back to this thread's awesome build now.

Guys,
There's a big sticky at the begining of this forum, I strongly suggest you read it .. all the info is in there.

Here`s the link to download the software:
Pepakura Designer

Let's get back to this thread's awesome build now.

Haha, well said! :) I was thinking of renaming the thread to 'Pepakura scaling and measurement tool tips'

I don't mind people getting the help they need but the thread was derailing a bit.

As for the build, I'm still in the process of fibreglassing but can't get too much done as there aren't so many warm hours of the day at the moment. I work split shifts so I try to cram some in in the afternoon. At night I'm still pepping zabana's gloves. I'll post a picture update on sunday when I've got some decent progress to show.

Hi Guys, It's been nearly a week since the last update as I've been busy with work still. I've got to pay for these fibrglass/bondo/arduino/servo....supplies somehow :D

I've managed to get some glassing done though and one zabana glove (minus three of its fingers). I've got a nice couple of days off now so will hopefully be at the build full time.

Here's a pic of part of the glove pep

IMAG0200.jpg

And the glassed stuff

IMAG0205-1.jpg

A couple of the glassed arm pieces have warped which is quite frustrating. Could somebody please point me in the right direction as to how I go about 'un-warping'(?) them.

Hi Mate,

As Finhead said, with most resins and I'd agree with my experience as well that you get a small window of time really, once cured if you try and bend to far you'll get cracking but if your quick enough then you could use a heat gun or a hair dryer on a high setting and give this a try.

One way of stopping any warping it to apply the resin at the first stage even thinner, sometimes the resin can be over heavy and wet and with it's wieght it can cause the card to fold or warp in on itself.

If the warping isnt too bad then don't worry too much, once you go through the car filler / Bondo stage, you'll even out a lot of the un even surfaces.

Also , once the right surface is achieved you'll then take a mould of the piece as really it's advisable to not wear the original pepped pieces as these can be a lot heavier with the amount built up bondo to achive the shape you needed.

Hope this helps

Hi Mate,

As Finhead said, with most resins and I'd agree with my experience as well that you get a small window of time really, once cured if you try and bend to far you'll get cracking but if your quick enough then you could use a heat gun or a hair dryer on a high setting and give this a try.

One way of stopping any warping it to apply the resin at the first stage even thinner, sometimes the resin can be over heavy and wet and with it's wieght it can cause the card to fold or warp in on itself.

If the warping isnt too bad then don't worry too much, once you go through the car filler / Bondo stage, you'll even out a lot of the un even surfaces.

Also , once the right surface is achieved you'll then take a mould of the piece as really it's advisable to not wear the original pepped pieces as these can be a lot heavier with the amount built up bondo to achive the shape you needed.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply. The help is much appreciated. A couple of the pieces aren't too bad but there is one that is pretty badly out of shape. I'd left it to dry on it's stand only to come back and find it on its side. By the sounds of it it's a re-pep then :( I'll give it a go with a heat gun still to see if I can save it.
Will let you know

Your welcome mate, yeah it sounds like you've got hit there in it's drying stage when it's rolled over and been allowed by itself to change shape while drying.

A re- pep might be the way, it's a real trial and error process but worth it in the end rest assured.

Give that heat gun a go though first.

The part has been saved, much to my relief. The heat gun worked a treat. I had to get it quite hot, to the point where it was almost too hot to hold without gloves, hold it in the correct shape for a couple of minutes and voila! to my surprise it kept it's shape.

Awesome work. Inspiring!
Thanks man. If I showed all the problems I had along the way though it wouldn't be quite so :rolleyes

For the glove, did you print it with the tabs or without (glueing edges to edges)?

Ahhhhh, the gloves. I printed them with the tabs but a little bit of artistic license is needed as some of the tabs are too big for the joining pieces. The fingers IMO are harder to pep than the palms and knuckles. For these I edited the tabs down to 1mm, which is barely a tab at all but it gives you something to glue to.

Always good to see I'm not insane when I do the things I do.

Takes enthusiasm, passion, and perseverance.
Great work, keep at it. No doubt we all wait to see your final.

The part has been saved, much to my relief. The heat gun worked a treat. I had to get it quite hot, to the point where it was almost too hot to hold without gloves, hold it in the correct shape for a couple of minutes and voila! to my surprise it kept it's shape.

Brilliant mate! I'm glad that worked out for ya :thumbsup

Always good to see I'm not insane when I do the things I do.

Takes enthusiasm, passion, and perseverance.
Great work, keep at it. No doubt we all wait to see your final.

Thanks Thranduil

Brilliant mate! I'm glad that worked out for ya :thumbsup

Me too.

Here's a couple of pics of 80% finished arm, including the previously warped piece ;)

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

One question on the arms though. What is the best way to go about sanding the grooves on the front of the bicep? Any help is much appreciated.

I would probably also try first to do it with a dremel drum or if your shape is already good in the pep, try to put sand paper around a small round shape object (pen, tube, whatever is on hand) and get in there!

WoW thats alot of work. Its paying off. looking good :)
Thanks a lot. I'm quite happy with it so far :)

I would probably also try first to do it with a dremel drum or if your shape is already good in the pep, try to put sand paper around a small round shape object (pen, tube, whatever is on hand) and get in there!
I'm not sure why this didn't occur to me. There's me looking at my sanding block thinking 'how do I get that in there?' :confused
I took a look at the jewelers files too and they're quite expensive so will try the pen method tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

were could I find pepakura files for an iron man mark 1 suit of armor I want to try that as my first pepakura like it was Tony's first build then I wanna do mk 2 3 4 5 and then 6 I'm especially excited about building the mark 6 thanks all!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back