Iron Man Mark 7 FOAM Build in 12 days! VERY PIC HEAVY!

Wow, thats even more impressive. Is there any chance you could send me the plans for the helmet?
I don't want to get peoples hopes up , but I do want to put up the patterns, just have been fighting with this same issue on my cyberman patterns as well. Patience as I have so much work right now.

That is fantastic ! I love the way you made the section lines in the suit, I may borrow the idea if you don't mind. And 12 days is really impressive ! I've been struggling a whole day on one lower forearm, and the result is a failure... How do you make such clean cuts ? Sanding for some, but the lines I was talking about ? They are very neat ! By the way, how thick is the grey foam ? 1/3 inch ?
The lines are cut into the foam with a method I call "V" cutting, I cut about a 1/3 into the foam at a 45 angle just on one side of the line I draw in the foam. Then I do the same thing again from the opposite side and the result is that both 45 angles meet in the middle and the excess foam is stripped away to reveal a clean "channel" in the foam that is the lines you see. The foam I used is Harbor Frieght Floor mats, they sell them in packs of 4 pieces that when put together is roughly 48" x 48" of material. it's 1/2" thick.

That is really cool! Where would I be able to find the foam to try and make the helmet? What kind is it?
The foam for the helmet was 1/4" L-200, sometimes you can get it at Micheals, but i think most people are ordering it online. Just Google L-200 or minicell foam and it should give you some suppliers.

Captain, we're detecting large masses of badassery in this sector.

Seriously, well done, man. You've certainly inspired me with those pristine cuts, and the bevels (oh god, the BEVELS). I will be trying to see if I can incorporate that kind of attention to detail in my Mark IV.

Time and patience will tell, I suppose, but if it's even half as good as yours came out, well... needless to say, I'm excited at the prospect. :)

Captain, we're detecting large masses of badassery in this sector.
:lol:lol:lol:lol Moth that was great! Yes, beveling has become something of a trademark of my work, I know I did some power rangers monsters with it and blew away the folks at Saban. Post some pics of even the bad work, I think we can all learn from both the good and bad.

Wonderful wonder squid.

I was surprised you brushed on the dip. Do you do that to help fill cracks? Makes sense to spray when it is done to smooth it out.

The aqua socks is a pro-tip for sure. I will def do that on my next build.

Thanks for the compliments again Shades, your builds are the most consistent of anyone I know on here.

Could you post which solutions of plasti dip you used?
It's roughly a 2 to 1 mixture of 2 parts plasti-dip to 1 part thinner. I actually used barge thinner last time since it has Tolulene which is a thinning agent for Plasti-dip.

They are some mad skills there. The helmet looks so sharp!
Thanks sir, I tried really hard to keep the helmet as clean as possible.

Can i ask what size foam did you use for the different armor pieces? and what templates did you use? :)
Sure can, I used harbor freight floor mats for the bases of almost all the main parts, those are maybe 13 -14mm thick. The shoulders and helmet was based in 5-6mm and there are details in various places that used stuff ranging from the 5-6mm and also 3-4mm. The patterns i invented myself and do intend to publish, but I have to figure out how best to do that, so please be patient while I think it through. Thanks!

Hey wondersquid... nice work on the suit. I saw on your old sale thread that the clear coat used for this suit wasn't that great. Have you discovered a suitable clear coat for foam building yet?

Amazing work! just outstanding! I made a costume for my son using EVA Foam and he ended up looking like a Bounty Hunter from Star Wars lol!! Anyways it was the first time I've used foam for anything but it turned out so well that it inspired me to make an Iron Man suit! I look at all the progress pics at this site and wow does it get me motivated!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back