Iron Man Mark 6 build WIP...updated pics on page 2

Thanks...I am a bit of a perfectionist at times, which is why this project has been drawn out for so long. I have learned a lot about the process by simply doing it, but also from all the excellent people on this forum! Now that the helmet is done, I hope the rest of the suit will go quicker.

Thanks...I am a bit of a perfectionist at times, which is why this project has been drawn out for so long. I have learned a lot about the process by simply doing it, but also from all the excellent people on this forum! Now that the helmet is done, I hope the rest of the suit will go quicker.

I'm just like you, quite perfectionnist and i would try a pep iron man as you in a few days , i have compiled a lot of informations, tutorials and tips in order to make the better start as possible.

Can you tell me how long have you been for finishing this helmet?

And can you tell me more about automotive paint please?

Thank you

This helmet has taken me two years (largely because I have a wife 2 kids, a job, and a garage that is unheated in the winter). I don't trust my hand with a Dremel, so all of the details in this helmet were scored and filed by hand.
I have a friend who paints parts for Harley, and he was kind enough to get me paints they use on their bike parts (the gold for the mask is the same that Harley used for their 100th anniversary bikes). I am unhappy with the red, so I will probably cast this helmet, make a few more, and repaint.

For this helmet I used a paint spray gun, hooked up to a compressor, and sprayed each coat at a working pressure of 45psi (the gold I did at around 35-40). After each primer coat I sanded with 500 grit paper (and had to do the same when I found some drips in my initial red coat). After the red, I clear coated the whole thing. Since the gold was really thin, I masked the area I wanted to paint, and then wet sanded with 2000 grit paper until the clear coat was even (no visible valleys). Gold went on quick, then another clear coat. The details were hand painted with enamel paint (do not clear coat over enamel...it tends to pull up). And that is what I did...

This helmet has taken me two years (largely because I have a wife 2 kids, a job, and a garage that is unheated in the winter). I don't trust my hand with a Dremel, so all of the details in this helmet were scored and filed by hand.
I have a friend who paints parts for Harley, and he was kind enough to get me paints they use on their bike parts (the gold for the mask is the same that Harley used for their 100th anniversary bikes). I am unhappy with the red, so I will probably cast this helmet, make a few more, and repaint.

For this helmet I used a paint spray gun, hooked up to a compressor, and sprayed each coat at a working pressure of 45psi (the gold I did at around 35-40). After each primer coat I sanded with 500 grit paper (and had to do the same when I found some drips in my initial red coat). After the red, I clear coated the whole thing. Since the gold was really thin, I masked the area I wanted to paint, and then wet sanded with 2000 grit paper until the clear coat was even (no visible valleys). Gold went on quick, then another clear coat. The details were hand painted with enamel paint (do not clear coat over enamel...it tends to pull up). And that is what I did...

thanks for all of these :thumbsup definitively , we are the same !!i ' m quite busy with my little daughter and we have got probably the same cold gargae in winter!!:lol
i just download the robot3687 files and i will print tomorrow...and let's go !

thanks for all of these :thumbsup definitively , we are the same !!i ' m quite busy with my little daughter and we have got probably the same cold gargae in winter!!:lol
i just download the robot3687 files and i will print tomorrow...and let's go !

Best of luck. Let me know when you have some progress pics up!

just wondering is that 2pac paint? you spray them with the a spray gun?
how many layers of clear?

thanks
long

I am not sure exactly what paint was used (my friend put the stuff together for me). All I know is that I mixed the paint provided with a catalyst (and sometimes reducer) and applied with a spray gun. 2 layers of primer (sanding in between), 2 of red, 1 clear, (sand faceplate) 1 gold, then a final clear. I hope this answers your question.

Sorry to keep this thread alive on such a simple question, but many of you have more experience than I do. I could really use suggestions on mold making materials and casting products. Any insight would be great!

*bump* on the previous question.

I am looking for specific brands and product numbers that have really worked well for you guys.

Excellent work! The helmet looks tough, but I'm going to give it a try this week. I'm looking forward to see the rest of your work. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back