Interstellar TARS build

Hey, been following your thread and are loving the progress pictures. I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded your TARS figure and scaled it down in Sketchup. Its almost 4 inches tall, but it can walk and do all his movements. I noticed in you build you have three holes for the magnets down the side of his pillars, wouldn't you only need two? One on top and one in the middle, thus allowing for all of his walks and rolls. Just a thought, but awesome progress. GO TARS!

Finished printing the first of 8 parts of my 1/6 scale TARS. Annoyingly realized after 10 hours of printing that I'd put the hole for the top magnet in the wrong place. I'll use this piece to test paint instead.
View attachment 415831

This looks sweet, how difficult will it be to get it nice and smooth though? I'm not all that familiar with 3d printing material.

Hey, been following your thread and are loving the progress pictures. I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded your TARS figure and scaled it down in Sketchup. Its almost 4 inches tall, but it can walk and do all his movements. I noticed in you build you have three holes for the magnets down the side of his pillars, wouldn't you only need two? One on top and one in the middle, thus allowing for all of his walks and rolls. Just a thought, but awesome progress. GO TARS!

Post a photo of your 4" TARS.

I'm assuming that these robots were designed to work no matter their orientation in space or on the ground. The display screens would seem to back that up, since they are at the top, bottom, front and back.

- - - Updated - - -

This is off topic for TARS but still Interstellar. If you are interested there is a paper craft of the Endurance spacecraft.

http://uhu02.way-nifty.com/die_eule_der_minerva/045.html

Heres What I got! I'm still deciding on wether or not to add the Braille text underneath the TARS. But he's all ready to be printed out! The blue rod is the hole plugs and rods for him, to look good and move. Keep up the great work peoples. Also Steven.G, I have a question about the Trade Gothic Font. I clicked the link and theres about a dozen different styles of the Trade Gothic. Which one exactly is the font of the Trade Gothic styles they used? Thanks and I'll post more pics when I get it. Happy Holidays!
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 2.10.17 PM.png

Post a photo of your 4" TARS.

I'm assuming that these robots were designed to work no matter their orientation in space or on the ground. The display screens would seem to back that up, since they are at the top, bottom, front and back.
Mine only has the screens in the front... If I add the four screens in the back it would make it more accurate and maybe cut down on the price.... I'll add the four back screens and also thanks for the font link!

Made a CGI model based on the measurements posted by StevenG

If anyone would like the .obj please do not hesitate to ask!

Screen Shot 2014-12-24 at 7.19.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-24 at 7.22.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-24 at 7.31.32 PM.png

Last edited:
For the lines you can take some black vinyl and exacto some thin lines, just a thought, or you can print the lines on some model decal sheet on a clear piece and just lay it on.

Well, I found some panel lines! The bad part is they are dry transfer not water slide decals. I was hesitant because I've never used dry transfer for a model before. But my options were running out so I gave it a go. So far it's working out, maybe not as exact as I would like. It's also very tedious work. But I think after a clear coat and weathering it will have the look I'm aiming for.

TARS with panel lines.jpg

That look good, you might want to try clear coating a test panel with the transfers on paint before coating your model, you never know how the transfers react to the clear coat. Dont ruin what you have so far.

Thought I should dust off this build thread. How is everyone's TARS build going?

I've added panel lines and sealed them with a high gloss clear coat. Next step is to cut and glue the clear squares for the 8 display screens. The final step will be to add weathering, I'm going for a TARS that has been working hard for many years helping to set up mankind's new home world. The kid's call the old and worn robot uncle TARS.

Here is a progress shot:

TARS-shine.jpg

Hi, guys!
This is my first post here, in the RPF. I landed here thanks to asavage's podcast (highly recommended). This is also my first time making a model and painting it, so please be merciful :p

I loved Interstellar, and most of all, TARS the robot and it's simplicity.
Luckily I found this post, and since I've made myself a RepRap 3D printer, and steveng posted some 3D files (many thanks for that!), I decided to make a model.

These are the steps I followed with some pictures:

1. 3D printed steveng's model.
    IMG_20150103_135043.jpg
  2. Superglued the parts together.
    IMG_20150103_135244.jpg
  3. Sanded the ABS plastic.
    IMG_20150104_141925.jpg
  4. Added epoxy to fill the big gaps.
    IMG_20150104_191303.jpg
  5. Sanded the epoxy (forgot to take pictures here).
  6. Added putty to erase the finer details of the 3D printing process.
    IMG_20150106_162206.jpg
  7. Sanded the putty.
    IMG_20150106_174425.jpg
  8. Drilled the magnets holes.
  9. Sprayed with primer.
    IMG_20150106_182551.jpg
  10. Painted with model paint. I'm not sure if I did a good color choice, but I'm happy with it.
    IMG_20150106_220824.jpg
  11. Printed the screens in paper, and fitted them in the model.
  12. Painted the TARS letters and the braille dots with a golden colored pen.
    IMG_20150107_200437.jpg
  13. Painted the strips with a thin-tip black pen. I think I may have ruined the whole model by doing this, but still it's better than plain gray.
    IMG_20150107_213141.jpg
  14. Superglued the magnets inside the holes.
    IMG_20150107_215003.jpg
  15. And that's it! It's finished.
    IMG_20150107_215601.jpg

IMG_20150107_215633.jpg

IMG_20150107_215731.jpg

I was thinking in adding a polycarbonate layer over the screens to make it look better. I just have to find a place to buy it in the correct thickness.
Let me know what you think! I can take it :p

Thanks again for the files and the idea!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back