Interstellar (Post-release)

Re: Interstellar

Is there something wrong with a dreary movie?
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 6 times and had to sit thru the trailer for this thing ( and Annie, now THAT was a nightmare)over and over again. The whole thing looks like a weepy sapfest, McConahuey is red-eyed thru the whole thing. Everyone is blubbering throughout, with Michael Caine tossing out poetry and insipid platitudes. Think I'll pass.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 6 times and had to sit thru the trailer for this thing ( and Annie, now THAT was a nightmare)over and over again. The whole thing looks like a weepy sapfest, McConahuey is red-eyed thru the whole thing. Everyone is blubbering throughout, with Michael Caine tossing out poetry and insipid platitudes. Think I'll pass.

Many thought GOTG looked "dumb" at my work from the trailers. I got two to go and they loved it.

I think they are portraying a dire future as a motivator, there is no doubt that there will be an optimistic exuberance for human spaceflight and what it can mean for us.
I loved GOTG, I was reading Rocket Raccoon adventures years ago and couldnt wait, but I also want something with intellectual weight and relevance. Star Trek has been greatly dumbed down for now. I can't find it there. I want message films like this because I think we have really dropped the ball badly on human spaceflight.
So wait and see what Nolan has in store. My hope is that the film entertains and inspires us.

Last edited:

15155260089_66d512c104_o.png

Well, I guess if Edgar is thrilled by it,then I'm going to be as equally happy . Its been fairly quiet in the cinema since Guardians and its been a very long time since a seriously great "hard sci fi" themed story scored high on my ratings index. "Inception"and "Gravity" were the last ones to rock my boat. And its really not getting the kind of pre-release hype you would expect ,and neither is it high on many peoples "must watch soon " list, which is kind of a worry. However, Inception/Gravity had that same muted appeal until very positive word of mouth went viral and into overload. I'm sure it will look as stunning as the others this year, but I could also do with a REALLY strong story for a change.

As much as I want Chris Nolan to have success with this film, it's kind of nice not having the crazy hype that movies seem to garner lately.. It'll be nice to go into a movie like this with a clear mind and be able to enjoy it without all the craziness surrounding it.

That said I'm hyping myself up quite a bit for it.. and I've been really into Arthur C. Clarke novels lately so this film couldn't have some at a better time!

SPOILERISH comment from the new trailer.....

I love the line about earth telling us to leave.
Time to leave the nest, no longer baby birds and it's bad to try to stay in the nest forver. Time to fly.
The usually Sci Fi narrative is people just rape the earth and we're unworthy, evil, something wrong with us.
This message looks different and new, adaption clearly was a message from the trailers so far, but now "mother" earth is kicking us out
of the nest. There is elegance there.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back