Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular...

More Star Wars is fine but the Indy show is great.
My niece really loved it.
Sad, day this is!

End of an era. :(

Saw it on my honeymoon back in '04.

It isn't closing. Nothing official has been released. The American Idol Experience is what's closing.

- - - Updated - - -

I was JUST at Disney World, hadn't seen the show since I was 18, so almost 20 years ago... It needs a LOT of updating.

It's the same script... right down to the line something like, "You know what the Difference between you and Harrison?"

like 50 years.

They want to give an idea how movies are made, but nothing they do there is anything like how a movie is shot, especially today.

I say KEEP it Indiana Jones, but recreate a scene like in Crystal Skull with the opening to that UFO place that comes from out of the ground. They built that thing for the movie, so make another, put a green screen behind it, and have a screen showing a comp of a final shot. Have the stunt guy fall down the steps like in the movie.

Jump through all 4 movies...

start with the plane hangar scene from raiders...

Then do the mining cart scene from Indy, make a little coaster like what they shot with, with a mounted camera... show tricks like keeping the cart close to the wall so that it looks like it's moving faster on the screen...

Jump to Last Crusade with Matte paintings like at the leap of faith scene...

And again, do Crystal skull with the rising rock stairwell thing.

I couldn't sit through another "AAAAAND ACTION!" while their tiny 16 MM camera on a rolling plank shoots an entire sequence at once. "CUT!"

They don't have the space, time, or set to do all that. As much as I wish they'll update it, they won't. To families that visit once in their life, it's as good as new to them. Plus, it's a show, it's meant to give you an idea of how a movie is shot in a nutshell. It's more of a special effects and stunt show than anything else.

They don't have the space, time, or set to do all that. As much as I wish they'll update it, they won't. To families that visit once in their life, it's as good as new to them. Plus, it's a show, it's meant to give you an idea of how a movie is shot in a nutshell. It's more of a special effects and stunt show than anything else.

That's just it, they DO have the time and space... and they NEED to update some of their rides and shows. My kid was REALLY unimpressed with a lot of the shows and rides at Disney World... then we went to Universal and it blew her mind.

And I gotta agree with her.. that Harry Potter ride at Universal beats anything at Disney right now. It's mind blowing. I don't even like Harry Potter and I walked off with a wand. Got sucked right in. Drank my butter beer and bought a wand.

14266685409_1f48a06969.jpg

*stupid Firefox won't let me edit...

Anyway, Update the show and give a better idea how movies are ACTUALLY made (doesn't have to be complex, but at least get a camera that looks SOMETHING like a working camera)...

Your average kids these days have better camera technology on their phones than displayed in that show.

*stupid Firefox won't let me edit...

Anyway, Update the show and give a better idea how movies are ACTUALLY made (doesn't have to be complex, but at least get a camera that looks SOMETHING like a working camera)...

Your average kids these days have better camera technology on their phones than displayed in that show.

That's the thing though, it's a stunt show, not a "how movies are made" show.

Otherwise there'd be a lot of green screen and a bunch of people sitting around for hours on end. :lol

That's the thing though, it's a stunt show, not a "how movies are made" show.

Otherwise there'd be a lot of green screen and a bunch of people sitting around for hours on end. :lol

Fair enough... I guess I was so thrown by all their pretending that they were really shooting it bits that I forgot I was watching a STUNT show.

That's just it, they DO have the time and space... and they NEED to update some of their rides and shows. My kid was REALLY unimpressed with a lot of the shows and rides at Disney World... then we went to Universal and it blew her mind.

And I gotta agree with her.. that Harry Potter ride at Universal beats anything at Disney right now. It's mind blowing. I don't even like Harry Potter and I walked off with a wand. Got sucked right in. Drank my butter beer and bought a wand.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3870/14266685409_1f48a06969.jpg

Yeah Wizarding World of Harry Potter is unmatched right now, especially with Diagon Alley slated to open July 8 with soft opens possibly beginning as early as June 21.

About Disney updating rides, they just opened New Fantasyland which has three new attractions (plus a reimagined Dumbo), new restaurants, and shops. A lot of the rides at WDW are originals from when the park first opened. You take attractions like Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tomorrowland Speedway out and you mess with the integrity of the Magic Kingdom. They just finished revamping and fixing things on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad so that ride is pretty much like new.

As far as the time, I meant they can't have a hour long show, lol. All that you'd like to see would require so much time.

Avatarland is opening at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2016 and rumors of a Star Wars themed land coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Granted Universal Studios is more of a teen/adult park than anything but Disney has done very well to cater to people of all ages. I love both parks equally, really. Hard to choose just one, lol.

Awesome wands, btw!

The more amusement parks develop the less I like them. It always seems to be just a bunch of increasingly vomit-inducing rollercoasters. They throw you around with higher G-forces but there is pretty much nothing else about them to hold your interest. Lately all the new indoor "rides" consist of hydraulically moving your chair around in front of an image screen. Neither of those two things does much for me at all. They seem like cheap gimmics to hold people's attention in the creative sense.

But it's not that I don't love theme parks. I do. I love the live shows, and I love rides that have some element of tangible stuff. It makes you feel like you were there. It last for so much longer than 90 blurry uncomfortable seconds. The new Harry Potter deal at Universal (Florida) is really cool, but it's cool for all the structures & props they actually BUILT. I appreciate the well-done ride overall, but the waiting in line & gift shop experience linger in my mind a lot longer than the ride itself. The undersize-but-still-huge scale of the exterior & interior stuff makes feel like you have really gone to Hogwarts.

I worry that theme park planners may eventually lose sight of this. People come out talking about the dessert but you still have to make the whole meal good. Just like when doing a movie.

The more amusement parks develop the less I like them. It always seems to be just a bunch of increasingly vomit-inducing rollercoasters. They throw you around with higher G-forces but there is pretty much nothing else about them to hold your interest. Lately all the new indoor "rides" consist of hydraulically moving your chair around in front of an image screen. Neither of those two things does much for me at all. They seem like cheap gimmics to hold people's attention in the creative sense.

But it's not that I don't love theme parks. I do. I love the live shows, and I love rides that have some element of tangible stuff. It makes you feel like you were there. It last for so much longer than 90 blurry uncomfortable seconds. The new Harry Potter deal at Universal (Florida) is really cool, but it's cool for all the structures & props they actually BUILT. I appreciate the well-done ride overall, but the waiting in line & gift shop experience linger in my mind a lot longer than the ride itself. The undersize-but-still-huge scale of the exterior & interior stuff makes feel like you have really gone to Hogwarts.

I worry that theme park planners may eventually lose sight of this. People come out talking about the dessert but you still have to make the whole meal good. Just like when doing a movie.

Not all attractions are for everyone and that's okay, but to say "they seem like cheap gimmics to hold people's attention in the creative sense." is your opinion of which I don't agree with. Universal only has three attractions that work with screens and hydraulic vehicles; Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey and Transformers. And of those three, Forbidden Journey is the worst, and that's still a bit tame for my taste.

"I worry that theme park planners may eventually lose sight of this." I promise you, they haven't Showmanship is what makes theme parks what they are. Like what you said, they put you in there, and you believe it. As far as people coming out talking about the dessert, I've heard people speak highly of the entire course.

Universal only has three attractions that work with screens and hydraulic vehicles; Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey and Transformers. And of those three, Forbidden Journey is the worst, and that's still a bit tame for my taste.

Spider-Man, Transformers, Harry Potter . . . It's a short list, but that is a lot of new and/or high priority rides. It's clearly the trend now for the franchises they take most seriously.

I appreciate the creativity that goes into the rides. But TV & movies & comic books & video games all take creativity too. I can look at a digital screen image of these franchises on the other 364 days a year. At a theme park I want to see something live. Build a structure, do a stage show, do something that I can't get at home.

I like the hybrid rides (Spider-Man, Harry Potter) more than a screen-only ride. But I would still rather just have an entirely live one.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised it's still open.

Dad: Hey kids, want to go on the Indiana Jones ride?

Kids (looking up from cell phones): Who is 'Indiana Jones'?

Ironically, I have the opposite problem. I have a 9 year old son who is Indy obsessed. In fact, in our new house, he wants an Indy themed bedroom.
Researching his new room is how I stumbled on the rpf...and now I'm hooked.

Ever notice these kinds of places close down the popular rides? BTTF, t2 3d, this. No matter the park/company they must have idiots for execs.

All of these things are ancient, based on old properties. They have to keep updating to get the crowds to pay money to attend. Nostalgia doesn't sell tickets.

Nostalgia doesn't sell tickets.

It certainly does! Otherwise why the hell is "It's a Small World" and other similar attractions still around? The problem here is that the Indy show isn't "nostalgic" for many anymore.

Thankfully the show was still there when I took the kids in Feb. They LOVED it, but I'm raising them right, so they're well aware of Indy.

It certainly does! Otherwise why the hell is "It's a Small World" and other similar attractions still around? The problem here is that the Indy show isn't "nostalgic" for many anymore.

Thankfully the show was still there when I took the kids in Feb. They LOVED it, but I'm raising them right, so they're well aware of Indy.

It's a Small World isn't based on a movie or TV show. There are new movies and TV series coming out every day, they have a relatively short shelf life and then are replaced by new offerings.

It's a Small World isn't based on a movie or TV show. There are new movies and TV series coming out every day, they have a relatively short shelf life and then are replaced by new offerings.

Point still stands, nostalgia does sell. Problem is that it isn't nostalgic for the demographic they're targeting anymore.

Point still stands, nostalgia does sell. Problem is that it isn't nostalgic for the demographic they're targeting anymore.

Well, the definition of nostalgia is "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations." I'd argue nobody in Disney's target demographic is riding It's a Small World for that reason at all. It's even questionable for rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, even though both have had movies made inspired by them, the movies have nothing really to do with the rides. People ride them because they think they're fun. It seems that rides based on a movie or TV property have a limited shelf life because most people ride them only because of the property, whereas other rides that do not have those tie-ins are ridden simply because the ride is fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the definition of nostalgia is "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations." I'd argue nobody in Disney's target demographic is riding It's a Small World for that reason at all. It's even questionable for rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, even though both have had movies made inspired by them, the movies have nothing really to do with the rides. People ride them because they think they're fun. It seems that rides based on a movie or TV property have a limited shelf life because most people ride them only because of the property, whereas other rides that do not have those tie-ins are ridden simply because the ride is fun.

Well, as I just recently visited I can confirm, at least from my perspective, that Small World ONLY has nostalgia going for it. LAME. My kids thought it was lame, I thought it was lame, and my wife thought it was lame. That said, I thought the same thing when I was a kid but the only reason we went is because I remembered it from when I was a kid and despite the fact that it's "best before" date was 1972 it was a memory from a great trip that I wanted to share with the family. The Tiki Room as well was one of those. Sadly, I'd even go so far as to say the POTC was a huge disappointment compared to my memory. Nostalgia is about all it had going for it for me and I'm sure many others.

Don't get me wrong, there are some damn fun rides at Disney. But if that was the only reason people bought tickets there are plenty of better options out there. You go to Disney for the properties, yes, but I'd argue a lot of it is each generation sharing their nostalgia with the next. That was the reason we went anyway. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Disney has become a right of passage. I went with my dad and I am going to take my daughter. It has some fun rides but it is nothing in comparison to USF. You go to Disney to go to Disney you to go USF to ride some awesome rides.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back