Indiana Jones 5

232323232%7Ffp%3B47%3Enu%3D3246%3E9%3C3%3E%3A8%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3553436%3B%3B8325nu0mrj

I've been saying this for 3 years now! I'm totally in for the eyepatch, I think it would be best to introduce it halfway in to the film though. If not that, have the opening third act tell the story. My reasoning would be to give the whiners one last view of stereoscopic Indy.

1042899-eye_patch_smiley_thumb.jpg

How could they have done that to poor MarcusQUOTE]

Never could understand nerd rage over this. Marcus has what, like 5 minutes in RotLA? He is not established as some badass no matter what nostalgia is telling your brain.

My worry is the attitude of "we'll make it up to the fans!". Please don't pander to us. Nerds have appalling taste and when we get our way it invariably ends up on the screen as "Green Lantern", "Tron:Legacy", or "Cowboys and Aliens". I want them to tell me a story THEY like, that makes them happy, they're the storytellers after all.

I did, yes, so I know old Indy (a rose by any other name, blah, etc.) had one.

Still, an eyepatch is just all kinds o' retarded (and, yeah, I said it: retarded).

Agree with the reboot badass Indy crowd. In my lifetime I've gone through a handful of Bonds and enjoyed them for what they brought to the role. The world didn't end when Connery quit, it won't end if Ford is replaced with someone younger.

I love Ford as Indy with my heart and soul, but show me another actor playing the character in a film with the same spirit, smarts, and gonads as Raiders and I'm in. And so are you!

Who in their 30s or 40s has that badass Bogart gravitas Harrison Ford had? I'd be hard-pressed to recast that one; you're not taking over for the Priceline guy, you're king over for Han Solo. Those are some big Alden's to fill.

Replacing Ford is one thing but he is only one element of the movies. I really think Spielberg and Lucas no longer see eye to eye on the stories or direction the movies should go in and both of them have moved beyond the old mindset they were in during the glory days of Indy. So even if you replace Ford you still are not going to have the magic of old.

Personally I think the time has past and the franchise has run its course. Let it rest in peace.

How old was Charles Bronson in Death Wish 5? We should learn from that movie-- it was an embarrassment and I think like 2 people saw that in the theatre.
I'm sticking with my idea of Indy 5 with 50/50 Ford + new guy.

...AND give Ford a damn eyepatch. Pay no attention to my shoddy photoshop skills; it would be awesome and you all know it
Think of all the badasses who wore eyepatches. John Wayne for one (he jokingly said that was all it took to earn him an Oscar); then there's the Metal Gear Solid games-- Snake looked BEST with an eyepatch

Well, heh-heh, as far as the "nerd rage" over how Marcus was treated in "Last Crusade", I never said nor felt that he was ever an Indy-style bad-ass in his younger days. But he WAS a serious archeologist in the first film, someone you could easily see had knowledge and experience in a more proper, Edwardian-era explorer fashion. When he told Indy, "You know, five years ago I would have gone after it myself, I'm really rather envious." that implied that Marcus has some serious experience under his belt. And when Indy let loose that wonderful description of how Marcus "speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, has friends from here to the Sudan and would blend in and disappear" my reaction was, "YES!!! Marcus ROCKS!!!"...and then the next scene they have him wandering the streets like an f'ing idiot....I just hung my head and couldn't believe Spielberg would've done that for cheap comedy relief. I just hate what they did to the character and I try to forget about it when I watch "Raiders". That's my nerd rage, love it or hate it.

Yeah, it was a fun scene... but you're right. Would have been cooler if he was Indy's role model... though... then the Nazi's would never have gotten what they needed and the story would have been quite different.

And please... Matt Damon!? He needs to be retired in any kind of discussion about Indiana Jones. EEK. He could be a foe, though... but Indy? Come on... doesn't even remotely resemble Harrison Ford, which they at least tried with the other actors portraying the character. Or something.

Ford still has some juice in him, I'm sure and there are still many quests he could go on and having it happen in the thirties is just... well... a sailed train. It won't fly. He's past that... and the fifties and sixties could really hold some great quests if the writers just got their heads out of their assess and stopped copying wannabe Indy-type stories and remembered that INDY is what those other flicks are trying to be: don't copy the copy.

So... the fifties and sixties wasn't all about flying saucers and aliens... there were loads of spying and conspiracies and loss of faith in government. Heck... all those items in that warehouse... who collected them and why show something and not have a conclusion to it. Though... with all these movies they all follow the same formula... the treasure has to end up lost at the end and the rest of the world cannot ever know about it. That was the only thing I found interesting in National Treasure... they found the treasure and it changed the world, because the writers writing that movie realized that fundamental fact that the movie's world is not OUR world. The formula itself has become so cliche that it needs breaking and burying.

Indy has hunted religious artifacts, he's hunted pan-dimensional artifacts... still barely left with the items, only the knowledge of their existence, but no real insight into them but what old documents say they were. That was one of the coolest things in the discussions up to the fourth movie... that it was somehow going to turn things upside down and show that what he's hunted for and found before may not be everything they thought it was... that there could be alternate stories about everything... but then came the movie, which was nothing more than a dumbed down "this can be a cool videogame sequence" turd. And completely lost the magic.

Hey, I'm trying to sell tickets, not appease fanboys. :lol

And, you're right, that long haired hippie River Phoenix was the spitting image of young Harry.

Well... tickets are apparently easily sold on these films, so I doubt they'd have that to worry about. I think however they'd probably sell more if they actually gave a crap about the quality of the story. Hell... they throw huge amounts of care into set design and props and wardrobe and the actors and actresses... but it's all for naught if they don't throw a little more at the writers too. And keep silly producers in their straight jackets and out of the decision process...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back