Imperator Furiosa: Mad Max Fury Road

My reply from three days ago means the thread is dead? Hahaha.

But anyway, I actually found a tutorial for dying clear PVC tubing that I am going to use once my dye gets in from Amazon. It involves dipping the tubing in a boiling pot of water with the dye added in. It's located here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ter-cooling-tubing-*Experiment*IKIKUINTHENUTZ

I bought RIT dye in yellow (Which I specify because there is a Yellow, and a Golden Yellow). I'll post the results after I attempt to dye the tubing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I bought I think it is 3 yards of pvc tubing from Home Depot for just a few bucks.

Ha, I guess I mean no one has posted any progress photos or anything. Plus I've asked a ton of questions that have gone unanswered. I'm excited to see your photos! And thanks for the link, I appreciate it! Also, I will check Home Depot, I went to Lowe's yesterday and they didn't have a single damn thing I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Im not allowed to make a new tread and I didn't find .... Ill try here....
Im looking for a cosplay weapon for my Furiosa...
I could buy it or trade leather craft for it..

Any names or shops ?

Im not sure what weapon would be the best.. It needs to be ''Con safe'' ....

My cosplay is finished, I only need the weapon... Unfortunately, I have no talent to craft one.... :p

My cosplay outfit : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1008929719150476.1073741852.918442184865897&type=3

Your costume looks incredible, well done! As for weapons, if you are looking for a gun, I'd suggest googling cap or BB guns. They'll all have that orange tip on the cap to show they are a toy, but they don't fire actual bullets and I am fairly certain you can find some that look very realistic.
Or you can get a cheap toy gun and paint it, that is a viable option too.

Ha, I guess I mean no one has posted any progress photos or anything. Plus I've asked a ton of questions that have gone unanswered. I'm excited to see your photos! And thanks for the link, I appreciate it! Also, I will check Home Depot, I went to Lowe's yesterday and they didn't have a single damn thing I was looking for.

I've been posting progress photos on my IG (https://instagram.com/beldaem/) if you are interested.

Also, Home Depot is vastly superior to Lowe's ;P

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the middle finger be the hook from some sort of latching mechanism? Here's the hood latch from an old Chrysler, and the shape seems very close. I'm not sure about the size, and the serrations are obviously absent, but this may be another avenue worth exploring.

$_57.JPG

Hello, I'm back with an update about dyeing the PVC tubing with RIT dye.

It seems like the tubing does not take the dye well, even after leaving it in the dye/hot water mixture for several minutes (Far longer than the tutorial I linked earlier recommended). I also tried food coloring to compare, as well as just straight up putting pieces of tubing into pure dye concentrate of both RIT and food dye. No noticeable change, so I am disappointed.

Anyone have advice/ideas about dyeing pvc tubing?

EDIT:

The RIT dye proved to be very helpful in helping me achieve the grungy, dirty look for her shirt, however. Though that's not surprising, given it's a fabric dye. But be careful with how much you use because the stuff is STRONG.

Hello, I'm back with an update about dyeing the PVC tubing with RIT dye.

It seems like the tubing does not take the dye well, even after leaving it in the dye/hot water mixture for several minutes (Far longer than the tutorial I linked earlier recommended). I also tried food coloring to compare, as well as just straight up putting pieces of tubing into pure dye concentrate of both RIT and food dye. No noticeable change, so I am disappointed.

Anyone have advice/ideas about dyeing pvc tubing?

EDIT:

The RIT dye proved to be very helpful in helping me achieve the grungy, dirty look for her shirt, however. Though that's not surprising, given it's a fabric dye. But be careful with how much you use because the stuff is STRONG.

When talking about tubing, are you referring to the transparent tubes that look like IV tubing running from the shoulder piece down to the hand? And if so, I was just going to run some really watered down latex paint through the tubes, then allow the excess to drip out and dry in order to make it look like fuel. Though I suppose if you were trying to be really realistic some water + yellow food dye and some glue plugs in both ends would look really, really cool!

When talking about tubing, are you referring to the transparent tubes that look like IV tubing running from the shoulder piece down to the hand? And if so, I was just going to run some really watered down latex paint through the tubes, then allow the excess to drip out and dry in order to make it look like fuel. Though I suppose if you were trying to be really realistic some water + yellow food dye and some glue plugs in both ends would look really, really cool!

OH DUDE THAT IDEA IS KILLER, filling the tube and capping it at either end so you have actual fluid going through the fuel tubing would make a great extra effect!

Finally ready with the Bionic Arm for my GF .... everything build from scratch, not exyactly screen accurate, but i think its pretty close to the actual thing.
The "Hand" is completely made out of Foam.

s (1).JPGs (2).JPGs (4).JPGs (3).JPG

Finally, a friend of mine crafted a pretty nice riffle for my daughter Furiosa cosplay.... Thx for all the good ideas you shared .... Even if I still have few mods to make on the outfit, it was a real success at the Quebec Comiccon this week-end !
mad-max1.jpg12122864_10153223384718333_6649547017108897222_n.jpg12075095_10153310915027675_3487582561037161052_n (1).jpg12105884_1044010025611342_2646248704974745345_n.jpg

Could the middle finger be the hook from some sort of latching mechanism? Here's the hood latch from an old Chrysler, and the shape seems very close. I'm not sure about the size, and the serrations are obviously absent, but this may be another avenue worth exploring.

View attachment 535743

That is pretty great, and is at the very least a good starting point.

I did a quick and dirty version of my Furiosa for Halloween, which forced me to move forward with quite a few things. Since I didn't have time to do all the leather dying, I made my arm harness out of bike innertube (which I have a pile of thanks to the local bike repair co-op) and made a half-assed pauldron out of some EVA foam. The hand is made out of thermoplastic, and actually riveted/bolted together. The hand wasn't perfect, but it was halloween-party worthy.
IMG_20151031_105219.jpgIMG_20151031_211444.jpgIMG_20151031_211637.jpgIMG_20151031_212603.jpgIMG_20151101_011626.jpg

The hand was such a pain to rush and finish. That turned out great though! And I really like that custom made leather belt.

Myself, my son and my daughter at DragonCon. I made my daughter's arm and belt from foam, perforated aluminum sheet and found parts. The belt emblem was built up from a 3D printed base using Apoxie Sculpt.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446401917.839755.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446401955.561196.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446402009.752297.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some better shots of the ~60% arm. It obviously needs all the distressing, 2 of the fingers, and much better struts to the elbow. The elbow, bicep strap, and shoulder will be a complete rebuild. . I also need to get LOCK nuts. I was amazed it didn't fall apart while I was out and about, but you work with what you have.

I am really happy with the fit on the hand portion. It was pinching a little bit at the base of the thumb/wrist joint, but I can heat that and open it up. I wanted to avoid the bulkiness that a lot of cosplays end up with, so it is just straight wonderflex.
20151101_120435.jpg20151101_120455.jpg20151101_120555.jpg20151101_120622.jpgIMG_20151101_120350.jpg20151101_120647.jpg

I ended up putting threadlocker on pretty much everything since even my lock nuts kept popping off (especially since I couldn't get in and tighten some of them properly in those tiny spaces). What kind of latch are you using on the wrist? I couldn't find anything the right size at my hardware store and that one looks great.

I ended up putting threadlocker on pretty much everything since even my lock nuts kept popping off (especially since I couldn't get in and tighten some of them properly in those tiny spaces). What kind of latch are you using on the wrist? I couldn't find anything the right size at my hardware store and that one looks great.

the latch is a small chest hasp that was in the back of a bin at the shop I work in. I really lucked out on it. My best suggestion is googling "chest hasp" or "tool box hasp" or "drawbolt latch"(sub in latch for hasp if those aren't getting you useful results)

the latch is a small chest hasp that was in the back of a bin at the shop I work in. I really lucked out on it. My best suggestion is googling "chest hasp" or "tool box hasp" or "drawbolt latch"(sub in latch for hasp if those aren't getting you useful results)

Thanks! Looks like they'll be easy enough to order online, which I can do now without the time crunch of Halloween.

Hey guys, this is Karol, the creator of this thread.

I've been updating my site with some more info on Furiosa. I've got some great photos of the arm that I've isolated from the background, and a bunch of great photos on the boots.

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Imperator-Furiosa-Stunt-Arm-Tools.png

Finally took Furiosa out to a con. Now with new pants, new pauldron, more leather, and a much more finished hand. Oh yeah, and a hair cut :p
FB_IMG_1458596576925.jpgIMG_20160319_184438.jpgIMG_20160319_110555.jpg

I ended up making the pauldron out of a black plastic paint can that took heat and bending pretty well. I also made a mold so I could cast my sporrin emblem out of something a little less fragile than SuperSculpey.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back