Illuminated Shadowboxes for your Props

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I just picked two up at my local Michael's. not sure what I'm gonna put in them yet, but for the price (buy 1 get 1 plus 25% off), I couldn't pass them up.

I'd be interested in seeing how you make the pegs you use as well if you feel like sharing.

STEP 1: Cut the metal...
Start with some 3/8 to 1/2 inch aluminum bar stock (can pick it up at Lowes or Home Depot). Cut the bar stock to the lengths desired for your project. I have a bench chop saw that makes quick work of this and cuts it straight. You could do it with a hacksaw or other type of saw but it has to be a straight cut or your pegs will mount with an angle. Clean any metal burs or whatnot from the rough cut peg.

STEP 2: Make the peg tips...
To make the peg tapers, I use a drill and desktop belt sander with flat rotating sanding disk. I put the peg into the drill and spin it with the drill while sanding the edge of the peg at a 45 degree angle against the flat sanding disk surface. It sounds like a lot to do all at once but simple once you do it a couple times. This will give the peg a nice bullet look to it. Note: I've made fake bullet cartridges in this manner as well.

STEP 3: Tap the pegs...
The next step is to drill and tap the peg. To do this, you must drill the proper size hole that matches the thread tap that you want to use. This really depends on the type of screw you intend to use to mount the peg to the shadowbox. I usually will use a 8/32, 10/32 inch or #4/#5 metric screw with an oversized button head. I prefer button allen head screws. But that is your choice to make. Put the peg into a bench vise and using the appropriate size drill bit, drill a hole about 1/2 to 5/8 inch deep into the peg. I usually drill the hole a little off center in the peg. This allows you to fine adjust the peg so you can level your prop in the event your peg is a little off when you drill the hole in your shadowbox. Using the thread tap - tap the hole in the peg until the threads are created, cleaning the metal shavings out of the hole as you go. Your button head screws should be between 3/4 to 1 inch in length. If your prop has any weight to it, you will want to add a flat washer to both the inside and outside of the hole to firmly mount your pegs. Otherwise the weight of your prop will cause the pegs to sag in the box. This acts like a clamp to firmly support the peg and any weight you put on it. The shadowbox back board is a piece of thin particle board and can deform if too much weight is put on the peg. So you need to us the proper length screw to accommodate for any flat washers used and still thread into the peg enough to be secure.

STEP 4: Polish the peg...
Get a piece of 200-300 grit sandpaper and cut some strips that are about 5-6 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Insert the peg into your drill. Don't wrench it down into the drill chuck so tight that it make marks on the peg, just do enough so it holds the peg firmly. Now while spinning the peg in the drill, wrap the sandpaper around the peg holding the sandpaper edges with your fingers. With the peg spinning in the sandpaper, move the sandpaper up and down the length of the exposed peg shaft. This will polish the rough aluminum to a nice shine. The higher the sandpaper grit, the shinier the aluminum. You will have to flip the peg in the drill to shine the entire surface of the peg. Do this to all the peg you create.

STEP 5: Position your prop in the shadowbox...
Decide where you want your prop to be displayed in the shadowbox. This means laying EVERYTHING you want to be displayed in the box in the position you want it to be. Using a silver sharpie marker in the straight vertical position against your prop, make a small mark where you intend to drill a hole for your peg. The marker is roughly the same diameter of your peg. So where you mark the dot should be the semi-center of where your peg will go.

STEP 6: Install your peg in the shadowbox...
Now that you have everything where you want it to go and the peg locations are marked. Remove everything from the shadowbox and using the same drill bit or slightly larger drill bit, CAREFULLY drill the holes to mount your pegs. I usually drill from the inside of the box to the back. This will produce some dust that you can vacuum out when your done. Drill all the peg holes needed. When your done, vacuum the inside of the box to get any debris out. Insert your screw through the hole in your shadowbox and connect it to the peg until it is finger tight. Test the position with you prop to ensure it's level (or the way you want it). Tighten down the peg so it no longer moves. Put all the your prop stuff in the box where you want it and it's ready to go on the wall.

These illuminated shadowboxes have two wall mounting points that are 10 3/8 inches apart. I use screw-in drywall mounts with counter-sink screws. They work the best. The box is slightly over 16" wide so the center-point is 8". Use a level when marking you wall holes. All done.

I know it would be easier to do this entire thing in a video or pics. I may do that since I need to make a couple pegs for another prop.

Hope this helps.

Wow. That was a very detailed description. Thanks for that. I will definitely be revisiting this when I have decided what I'm going to put in the boxes.

One update - I purchased some SABIC Lexan sheet from Lowes Home Improvement for another project yesterday. Both sides of this product provide UV protection. It's 250x stronger than glass and will not crack or shatter. So if you want one of these shadowboxes with UV protection, just replace the glass with this Lexan sheet and your all good.

Here are some pegs that I made about a month ago. As you can see, I was testing with them to make them look like bullets. These are raw, unpolished pegs.

1069243_606580319376633_901408537_n.jpg

Not trying to impose my friend , but I figured I would show this, its not built as well as yours , but I did the best I could, it has my props in it that I am still currently working on whenever I get time, but my mal pistol conversion , the M93R ( Robocop conversion ) I plan to do, and going to make the phaser with metal parts , that I have been buying a little at a time to remake AA phaser....so this is what I got , I had to go to Hobby Lobby to get the velvet cloth and pegs were made from bar stock that I rounded off and sanded by hand....its not good as yours but , I tried my best....LOL

http://www.therpf.com/members/gyoun...2-chip-mals-pistol/209680-mals-pistol-010.jpg
209680-mals-pistol-010.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/members/gyoun...2-chip-mals-pistol/209679-mals-pistol-011.jpg
209679-mals-pistol-011.jpg

Sorry trying not to get the flash to make it too bright , but I will take this off , if you like....Big D........

Guy, That looks nice! Much of how the display looks depends on the background used. In your case, I would add some things like a movie poster or screenshots of the weapons being used from the movie or TV show. I would search and find the best picture you can online of Mal using his pistol. Here is a good example.
mal-reynolds.jpg

Take the pic to Target or Walmart and print it on photo paper at the instant print station. Reduce the size as needed. Check to make sure you are allowed to use it without copyright infringement. Movie posters are great too.

Same with Robocop and Star Trek.

It gives visitors to your home more information about what you are displaying. They may have no clue about Firefly, RoboCop, or anything else Sci-Fi related. LOL

Hey Del, I was considering that , probably when the props are done , I still got another year to work on all these ....LOL...I got so many projects going on , it makes my head spin...LOL I was actually looking for like a M R card on ebay , where he has the pistol in his hands , and those were cool looking , but haven't looked for the Robocop gun or the phaser yet...I wanted something small to better illustrate the unique nature of these props, its just locating the right material that suits me , and I am still planning the guess work with these...I appreciate the kind words my friend...I admire your collection and have seen a lot of what your weapons depot hanging on the wall....I am a big fan of yours as well.....Guy

This a great thread. keep the info coming please!...LOL my 4 foot by for foot shadow box is a clump of mess. and Yep It's that big. and held up by two screws into just one wall stud. seems to work. but I think I need to spread my weapons out. and small pics and stuff may help too. and that tutorial on the pegs was fantastic thanks so much. and guy. you know I love your guns...your going to get that display looking just fine...

Appreciate it sean , its just trying to find time , it seems to get harder and harder lately to even mess with it , I work a lot know, and I will have to make time here soon I hope to finish it....Del has the perfect idea on those shadow boxes, looking forward to learning more from him as well...

To give your pics in the display a 3D look, add foam board the back of the picture and it will stand off the wall of the display, giving it more depth.

- - - Updated - - -

C'Mon over to N.C. Guy. I'll work with you on some of that stuff. Us Vols gotta stick together. ;-)

OK, I worked on moving my Babylon 5 PPG to the new case. I had already made the pegs so they were ready to go.

Position everything where you want it...
1013150_607138732654125_1678998654_n.jpg

Make sure it's centered in the case...
968839_607138725987459_770787017_n.jpg

Mark the peg locations with a silver sharpie..
602490_607138755987456_242302799_n.jpg

945717_607138765987455_289027357_n.jpg

Carefully drill the holes and attached the pegs. Position the prop and rotate to pegs to make sure it's level.
Ta Dahhhh!
1069272_607138759320789_2032461196_n.jpg

Note: You can use a hot-melt glue gun to glue small items into the case background. It's pretty easy to remove later on if you choose to do so. It works much better than double-sided tape, pins, etc. Very clean looking too.

I just stopped by Michael's on my way home from work.
No Joy on the frames, they didn't even know what I was talking about.:unsure

The joys of living in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

That's so cool. and you are rockin a fine collection of guns. and your displays just make them more awesome.
Oh and division 6 . I live in a decent size city. and can't even get a piece of styrene without ordering it online. or anything else I want to work with.
So don't feel alone on that one....

To give your pics in the display a 3D look, add foam board the back of the picture and it will stand off the wall of the display, giving it more depth.

- - - Updated - - -

C'Mon over to N.C. Guy. I'll work with you on some of that stuff. Us Vols gotta stick together. ;-)
I heard that big D:):D....maybe even have a couple of beers while we talk about props also....:D:p....well if I ever travel there , I will let you know in advance of course...but if you ever go to wonderfest, I know we will be meeting one another...:lol:lol:lol....I love that place....:D

Oh and division 6 . I live in a decent size city. and can't even get a piece of styrene without ordering it online. or anything else I want to work with.
So don't feel alone on that one....

I tend to use For Sale Signs.
The closest hobby shop is in North Modesto, about a 3 hour round trip.

I heard that big D:):D....maybe even have a couple of beers while we talk about props also....:D:p....well if I ever travel there , I will let you know in advance of course...but if you ever go to wonderfest, I know we will be meeting one another...:lol:lol:lol....I love that place....:D

Beer? C'mon friend, I can do better than that. I'm from the Tennessee mountains.. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to use For Sale Signs.
The closest hobby shop is in North Modesto, about a 3 hour round trip.

You should be able to order these online from Michael's. The question is can you order online, get the same "buy one-get one free" and use a coupon code for an additional discount on your total order? It's worth the effort. The shipping cost will push the price back up some but it's better than a 3 hour drive.

Beer? C'mon friend, I can do better than that. I'm from the Tennessee mountains.. LOL

- - - Updated - - -
OK well, I was trying to sound casual.....just like that show Moonshiners, here in TN....I guess we could make a batch and have some.....:lol:lol:lol I guess its time , been a while since I had some of the hard stuff.....:D:lol.....TN and KY are well known for the special stuff....:D:D:cheers

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back