I need help making a Robin costume

Eric Sigh

So now I'm specifically talking about the Young Justice of Tim Drake.

Here's my original post:

So before the batman premiere, my friend and I decided to go as Batman and Robin. Well the decision was pretty last minute, and I'm brand new to costuming (I can barely even call this my first "build" since I only made the mask and belt), but I've been roaming around the RPF for a while, so I had some ideas on what I wanted to do. Unfortunately, they didn't work out so well. I ended up ordering the suit from a Chinese website that does that kind of stuff. I made the mask using the indy mogul method that's been floating around here, and I made the belt using another technique I learned on here. Needless to say I was really disappointed with my costume.
You can see a picture of it here: Action 4 Sunrise | Facebook

Weird body/stance/face, I know, but bear with me.
So the mask came out really streaky, and didn't look too great, and the different parts of my belt kept falling off. So even the parts that I did make didn't work out. And to top it all off, I could hardly move in that thing. First costume was a failure.

So what I want to do is start working on a serious Robin costume. I need ideas on what materials to use, how to make things more functional, better looking, more comfortable, etc. I want to start with a list of materials I'm gonna need for all the different parts. I want the end product to look something like this guy's costume Robin Tactical Suit but without all the armour, or even this guy Robin without Cape | Photo by lonestar9292 | Cosplay.com

I'm not saying I want mine to look exactly like theirs, I just like whatever materials they're using and whatnot.

I would really appreciate some help with this. I want to make a costume I can be proud of.

Last edited:
this guy tried to make a Robin Arkham Asylum Costume, u could tackle that perhaps, personally I would directly go for a Nightwing costume though xD

http://www.therpf.com/f24/robin-arkham-city-costume-130195/index2.html

Yeah, I saw his, I just don't think that's what I want to go for though. I'm looking to make a Tim Drake costume that looks like it'd actually be used to fight crime (to a certain extent, I mean). As in,the utility belt would be functional, the cape would be thick, but thin enough to where it would still flow nicely, padding would be placed in different parts of the costume.
I even saw this one guy make Bat gauntlets that had scallops that would actually retract into the gauntlets, and would spring up using some mechanism. I can't find it, unfortunately.
Most of all, I just want it to look good. Once I get good at costuming, I'm gonna go on to do the rest of the Robins, and then what they became afterwards (Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin). I just need a jumping off point.

http://images.wikia.com/batman/images/1/14/Tim_Drake.jpg

Yeah, I saw his, I just don't think that's what I want to go for though. I'm looking to make a Tim Drake costume that looks like it'd actually be used to fight crime (to a certain extent, I mean). As in,the utility belt would be functional, the cape would be thick, but thin enough to where it would still flow nicely, padding would be placed in different parts of the costume.
I even saw this one guy make Bat gauntlets that had scallops that would actually retract into the gauntlets, and would spring up using some mechanism. I can't find it, unfortunately.
Most of all, I just want it to look good. Once I get good at costuming, I'm gonna go on to do the rest of the Robins, and then what they became afterwards (Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin). I just need a jumping off point.

http://images.wikia.com/batman/images/1/14/Tim_Drake.jpg

Have you thought of using the Tim Drake or even the Dick Grayson Robin from Young Justice as a possible reference? Both Robin's had a slightly less comic book and a little more real world appearance to them although nowhere to the extent of the Nolan Batman movies or even Kid Flash in Young Justice but ti does give the impression of being somewhat armored.

Nightwing - Young Justice Wiki: The Young Justice resource with episode, season, and character guides

Have you thought of using the Tim Drake or even the Dick Grayson Robin from Young Justice as a possible reference?

Nightwing - Young Justice Wiki: The Young Justice resource with episode, season, and character guides

Oh yeah, I love the YJ versions of Robin and Nightwing. I've just been leaning more towards Tim lately for some reason, and his is the costume I really want to start with. Although, the one link I put up seems to be a mix of both. (Boy Wonder_1 | Photo by lonestar9292 | Cosplay.com) And I really like whatever materials he used, it looks great, but I haven't been able to get in touch with him.

I do lots of "spandex-clad" heroes, but never use spandex. go for a fabric that will stretch but keep you warm, jersey is good for that. Make the pouches for the belt from something heavier, or at least use the cossy fabric backed with interface. Also, look all the spandex cossies that made it to the theatres-they were all changed to make more sense-that's the best way to describe it-make the cdossy make sense! Is it cold? Will the lighter fabric tear?

I do lots of "spandex-clad" heroes, but never use spandex. go for a fabric that will stretch but keep you warm, jersey is good for that. Make the pouches for the belt from something heavier, or at least use the cossy fabric backed with interface. Also, look all the spandex cossies that made it to the theatres-they were all changed to make more sense-that's the best way to describe it-make the cdossy make sense! Is it cold? Will the lighter fabric tear?

Okay, so not spandex.
Can you recommend any fabrics that would be good to use?

Also, should I make the whole thing one entire jump suit? Or should it be a top and bottom type thing?
I'm thinking that's probably a dumb question now that I ask it.

Okay, so not spandex.

Also, should I make the whole thing one entire jump suit? Or should it be a top and bottom type thing?

I'd make it two pieces, it would be far more convenient and I think you can get away with it with Robin's costume.

As for materials, for at least the vest I'd go with some sort of leather like material, probably a good pleather and same for the pouches. A leather look would definitely ground your costume more in reality and at the same time sort of emulate the looks and feel of the YJ costumes. The undershirt and pants could be done using an Underarmor like material or, a black combat shirt although the sleeves on them are kind of baggy and they usually have pockets on the sleeves.

I'd make it two pieces, it would be far more convenient and I think you can get away with it with Robin's costume.

As for materials, for at least the vest I'd go with some sort of leather like material, probably a good pleather and same for the pouches. A leather look would definitely ground your costume more in reality and at the same time sort of emulate the looks and feel of the YJ costumes. The undershirt and pants could be done using an Underarmor like material or, a black combat shirt although the sleeves on them are kind of baggy and they usually have pockets on the sleeves.

I found the guy who apparently designed most of the YJ characters on Deviantart.

Here's Tim:
YOUNG JUSTICE: Tim Drake by *philbourassa on deviantART

And here's Dick:
philbourassa's deviantART gallery

I actually think Tim's costume would be harder to make, just because it has more designs on the suit, and the belt seems to be attached to the suit somehow (the buckle doesn't look like it's attached to the rest of the belt). That's why I wanted to do the comic version. But if I could get some ideas on how to do any of this, that'd be amazing.

Okay, so not spandex.

Never a dumb question. I used to do one-piece, now I do two. Quik Sew does a good bike tights pattern for the bottom, and you can use various other patterns for the top-I would suggest adding some to the bottom to go under the crotch, held with velcro(see pic).

Never a dumb question. I used to do one-piece, now I do two. Quik Sew does a good bike tights pattern for the bottom, and you can use various other patterns for the top-I would suggest adding some to the bottom to go under the crotch, held with velcro(see pic).

How exactly would I go about doing the patterns and everything though? I literally have no experience with sewing. Like I said, this is going to be my first real costume. I do know people who are good at sewing though, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, provided I can explain what I want done.

Also, what kind of material would you recommend using?

How exactly would I go about doing the patterns and everything though? I literally have no experience with sewing. Like I said, this is going to be my first real costume. I do know people who are good at sewing though, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, provided I can explain what I want done.

Also, what kind of material would you recommend using?
Well,
I would use these patterns(see pic), and add to the hem of the shirt to make a bodysuit with a velcro closure. As for the fabric, anything that stretches, as long as it doesn't have too much of a texture and is the right colour. for this outfit though, spandex might be the way to go.

I found the guy who apparently designed most of the YJ characters on Deviantart.

Here's Tim:
YOUNG JUSTICE: Tim Drake by *philbourassa on deviantART

And here's Dick:
philbourassa's deviantART gallery

I actually think Tim's costume would be harder to make, just because it has more designs on the suit, and the belt seems to be attached to the suit somehow (the buckle doesn't look like it's attached to the rest of the belt). That's why I wanted to do the comic version. But if I could get some ideas on how to do any of this, that'd be amazing.

Tim's a little more detailed but it doesn't look impossible to do, I think the trick would be to make the red from a different piece of material and sew it on top of a black base suit. To make it a two piece you could just make the red chest piece extend down below the belt line and attach it to the pants using velcro or snaps but I think velcro would work the best. The belt is pretty wide so it would hide the waist line where the pants start and the top ends.

As for the belt itself, it's really quite simple. All you need to do is cut 2 slits into the red part where it disappears, the belt goes in the outer most slit and underneath the red and then comes out the other slit. The only thing is that you need a base belt that allows for a removable buckle but that's not all that uncommon. Or you could use any belt with a flat buckle and make the big buckle that you see a separate piece that attaches to the real buckle after you strapped the belt on.

Here's a quick diagram that I made showing what I mean by cutting slits.
15214-diagram-showing-how-possibly-do-tim-drakes.jpg

To hold the belt up you can either have belt loops in the back where they'd be hidden by the cape and some thin ones that would go between the pouches or for the invisible look you can buy or make some small hooks that the bottom of the belt would rest in. I don't can't find what they're called but I've seen them used by some Marines to help the white belt on their dress blues up.

Tim's a little more detailed but it doesn't look impossible to do, I think the trick would be to make the red from a different piece of material and sew it on top of a black base suit. To make it a two piece you could just make the red chest piece extend down below the belt line and attach it to the pants using velcro or snaps but I think velcro would work the best. The belt is pretty wide so it would hide the waist line where the pants start and the top ends.

As for the belt itself, it's really quite simple. All you need to do is cut 2 slits into the red part where it disappears, the belt goes in the outer most slit and underneath the red and then comes out the other slit. The only thing is that you need a base belt that allows for a removable buckle but that's not all that uncommon. Or you could use any belt with a flat buckle and make the big buckle that you see a separate piece that attaches to the real buckle after you strapped the belt on.

Here's a quick diagram that I made showing what I mean by cutting slits.
15214-diagram-showing-how-possibly-do-tim-drakes.jpg

To hold the belt up you can either have belt loops in the back where they'd be hidden by the cape and some thin ones that would go between the pouches or for the invisible look you can buy or make some small hooks that the bottom of the belt would rest in. I don't can't find what they're called but I've seen them used by some Marines to help the white belt on their dress blues up.

Oh wow, that is really simple, I can't believe I didn't even think of that.
Okay, so about the suit. I think sewing the red parts onto a black base suit would work perfect, now I'm just trying to think of what I'd want to use for material. I dunno if going all spandex would give it a very realistic look. And it would also probably make it pretty hard for the belt to work out right.

Well,
I would use these patterns(see pic), and add to the hem of the shirt to make a bodysuit with a velcro closure. As for the fabric, anything that stretches, as long as it doesn't have too much of a texture and is the right colour. for this outfit though, spandex might be the way to go.

So I've decided to go with a black base with red overlays. How do you think I would be able to go about doing that? I can use those patterns for the base of it, but how would I get it to attach all the way around? Wouldn't velcro make it stretch out in certain places? Also, I think for the base I would want to go for something kind of thick, since the belt is going to be attached to the suit.

For the undersuit I'd probably use something like Underarmor to help keep cool and it has that stretch for the tight fit. For the red, I think either a nice Cordura type nylon like they used for a lot of the Avengers costumes, either that or a nice pleather. Either one of those materials should help give the costume more of a real world look and the heavier material of the red overlay should contrast nicely against the thinner black material

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back