House MD Props: Ax Cane + Cane Shotgun

I saw the clip, and in some scenes it appeared to be a Mossberg 500 cruiser shotgun with a cane handle stuck on it to act as an improvised shoulder stock. This was in the scenes where House had his back to the camera though and they were quick so I might be wrong.

I'd agree with the Mossberg 500. They have the pump action handle attached to the front and the main body with handle has a slot removed from the top that the cane sits inside. I haven't had any luck tracking down an airsoft version that ships to the US yet.

It looks a little cheap, but with a bit of cleanup and a repaint I think we have a winner. This prop has turned out to be about $150 less than I expected. I'll definitely have on on my wall soon.

axecane.jpg

shotguncane.jpg

I got the shotgun today, it's really cheap but fires really well considering. Not that it matters. I ordered the cane, let's hope their shipping is faster than Amazon's.

The cane came in today, now I've got everything I need, I just need to get outside with the dremel for an hour or so and then repaint.

DSC02028-1.jpg

Risu are you thinking of putting the axe on top also?? iam thinking of doing that .. just to save on cash dont want to buy two canes....

No, I didn't think the axe was as cool. I am going to make the shotgun removable, probably by cutting small slots into the cane that I can insert tabs into and they'll hold by pressure fit. That way I'll have the cane as a separate prop.Also, it looks like in the show they cut a large slot down into the housing of the shotgun and the cane rests inside, but I'm going to leave the chrome bit on mine with the top intact (except where the cane goes through) to make it look more like it actually works.

Just another thumbs up for Fashionable Canes. I bought from them twice and both orders were completely hassle free with faster than expected delivery. They sent me a free wrist strap with each one. I prefer the "handed" canes as I can use it for hours without any pain or fatigue in the arm or shoulder.

I've got two of these (I leave one in the car)
50135.jpg

And yes I use it in the wrong hand just like House, guess it's an English thing :lol. It just doesn't feel right the "correct way".

I thought the arm you hold it in was according to which leg was bad?

Common sense says so but according to my wife backed up by her step brothers (both doctors) and my doctor, it should be the opposite side from the pain. :confused :confused

Oh ok. I could see how that would be the norm. I just tried it out and supporting your bad leg from the other hand kind of gives you a more normal gait. House leans on the cane though, so he is supporting his weight and keeping it off the bad leg, he just does it in a way that makes him look more crippled.

Yes, the "proper" way to use a cane is to hold it with the hand opposite the affected leg; i.e., if you have problems with your left leg you hold the cane in your right hand. And, yes, for most people this results in the desired effect while allowing for a more "normal" gait when you walk. In fact, they addressed this on one episode when House developed shoulder problems because he was using the cane on the "wrong" side (presumably because it disrupts the normal body mechanics involved in walking, but I think they did it just because cane users commented on House using his cane on the "wrong" side). That said, it's more of a "guideline" than anything else, and everyone has to determine for themselves what works best for them. My back problems affect my left leg, and I've found holding the cane in my right hand works best for the most part.

Back to the topic, I'm looking forward to seeing what Risu (and everyone else) comes up with.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back