Hollywood’s current state of failure and the reasons for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah; a great many of the "fairy tales" actually involve much crud like that. Nice bedtime stories to scare the living daylights out of your little ones and guarantee they'll need therapy and counselling for decades to come.

Pleasant dreams...
Nah...:rolleyes: ;)

The genre of fairy tales spans the ages on a variety of subjects/stories captivating a variety of audiences. This particular genre asserts a lesson and an escaped reality. Fairy tales even exist in modern times also and re-appear in existing and novel ways.

Both traditional/modern fairy tales have an extremely important societal role/expectations, disturbances in human desires, and the ideals/behaviors of individuals, regardless of age.

Their themes, settings, characters and plots promote relevant expectations and ideals society expects individuals to maintain throughout their lifes.
But, more importantly; the innate attraction that readers have toward these works and what that says about humanity!

These fairy tales are prominent across various medium (film, text, life-size attractions) affirming their impactful power on the actions and thoughts of individuals and the important themes of society. (From the University of Arizona).

The fairy tale is therefore a Universal human genre across the ages/continents/races. :)

Nah...:rolleyes: ;)

The genre of fairy tales spans the ages on a variety of subjects/stories captivating a variety of audiences. This particular genre asserts a lesson and an escaped reality. Fairy tales even exist in modern times also and re-appear in existing and novel ways.

Both traditional/modern fairy tales have an extremely important societal role/expectations, disturbances in human desires, and the ideals/behaviors of individuals, regardless of age.

Their themes, settings, characters and plots promote relevant expectations and ideals society expects individuals to maintain throughout their lifes.
But, more importantly; the innate attraction that readers have toward these works and what that says about humanity!

These fairy tales are prominent across various medium (film, text, life-size attractions) affirming their impactful power on the actions and thoughts of individuals and the important themes of society. (From the University of Arizona).

The fairy tale is therefore a Universal human genre across the ages/continents/races. :)
*hands receipts for 35 years of therapy to joberg*

I still hide under my bed from some of those! O.O

*hands receipts for 35 years of therapy to joberg*

I still hide under my bed from some of those! O.O
I would like to see this fairy tale that way (with lots of changes, of course;))

Yellow Snow and the Seven Samurai:p

1693164703255.png

Sounds like at least one company is doing some course correcting.

Is this any good though?

Not to be a downer but One Piece is one of the manga series that I dont think can translate to any medium well other than manga and animation, to no fault of Netflix. The characters are larger than life and incredibly goofy (main character Luffy himself utilizes more with his rubber body in a single arc than Mr. Fantastic has done in his entire run) and thats just one character. I do think its one of the adaptations that is impossible to do justice in a life action adaption.

I am glad that Netflix has focused on staying true to the source material and got author Oda on-board to oversea the project. I think Oda himself knows that translating his material to live-action is near impossible so has made adjustments accordingly as well so would be interesting to see in that regard.

Given how popular Squid Game is, Im honestly surprised Netflix hasnt jumped on Kaiji. Story-wise, its just superior.

Wow...what a novel idea:rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol: You mean to tell me that when sticking to the original story/characters the movie/series is popular with the viewers?? :devil::devil::whistle::whistle:
That's what happens when the people who actually own the IP care about preserving it accurately and won't let anyone else use it unless they follow the story. I wish more of them were like that, instead of money-grubbing idiots who are just looking for a paycheck.

Money grubbing idiots? In my experience that's 99.9% of the people on the planet (obviously we have only the best on here). Sadly, many great artists were very poor in their own lifetimes, but they were true to their art, which is more than I can say for the movie studios who care more about PC mass media reviews than actual art.

Interesting but I really wonder how true the statement is.

Even the article states that even though Netflix claims its the most watched movie on their platform, its by their peculiar method of calculating viewership. Its not surprising then that the claim of “most viewed” movie happens to be a movie they dropped $500 M on to get the hottest actors at the time on screen for. Given there isnt much news or memes/discussion anout red notice about how it sucks or its good, I find it doubtful that its been seen more than other movies on the platform.

It does raise an interesting point of how Netflix just makes movies “by algo” and tries to deliver what people want which utterly fails (I dont think Ive heard of any Netflix produced movie that is a must watch although I will admit their reality dating shows are a must watch to see the most toxic and delusional people interact). This could be the outcome of AI-led/produced content and therefore the pitfall if Hollywood decides to go full throttle with AI-led scripts.

Lets not forget that indie films and international films still exist (Rian Johnson got famous with Looper, District 9 was an amazing indie). Even though Hollywood is apparently in a stranglehold by a few hige studios, its the audience thar decides what to watch. And given the poor performance of modern popcorn movies (MCU especially), its clear the audience is not as stupid as Hollywood likes to make them out to be.

Interesting but I really wonder how true the statement is.

Even the article states that even though Netflix claims its the most watched movie on their platform, its by their peculiar method of calculating viewership. Its not surprising then that the claim of “most viewed” movie happens to be a movie they dropped $500 M on to get the hottest actors at the time on screen for. Given there isnt much news or memes/discussion anout red notice about how it sucks or its good, I find it doubtful that its been seen more than other movies on the platform.

It does raise an interesting point of how Netflix just makes movies “by algo” and tries to deliver what people want which utterly fails (I dont think Ive heard of any Netflix produced movie that is a must watch although I will admit their reality dating shows are a must watch to see the most toxic and delusional people interact). This could be the outcome of AI-led/produced content and therefore the pitfall if Hollywood decides to go full throttle with AI-led scripts.

Lets not forget that indie films and international films still exist (Rian Johnson got famous with Looper, District 9 was an amazing indie). Even though Hollywood is apparently in a stranglehold by a few hige studios, its the audience thar decides what to watch. And given the poor performance of modern popcorn movies (MCU especially), its clear the audience is not as stupid as Hollywood likes to make them out to be.
Extraction 1 and 2 were good netflix movies. They kind of took the over the top J. Wick formula and did their own version of it.

FYI, Indiana Jones 5 / Dial of Destiny, with a reported budget of $350 million, not including marketing, is now available for $20 USD digital purchase. Box office numbers so far:

Grosses​

DOMESTIC (45.7%)
$174,146,711
INTERNATIONAL (54.3%)
$206,859,672
WORLDWIDE
$381,006,383

Remember when we said it had to make ~ $700 million to break even? Do you think digital download and DVD sales can make up the difference?

I would go for "Snow-Snow and the Seven Samurai":p

FYI, Indiana Jones 5 / Dial of Destiny, with a reported budget of $350 million, not including marketing, is now available for $20 USD digital purchase. Box office numbers so far:

Grosses​

DOMESTIC (45.7%)
$174,146,711
INTERNATIONAL (54.3%)
$206,859,672
WORLDWIDE
$381,006,383

Remember when we said it had to make ~ $700 million to break even? Do you think digital download and DVD sales can make up the difference?
Not even close. It's closer to a billion because you have to include marketing. All costs associated with the project must be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back