HIC BUILD THREAD - LAST BUILD DAY May 27th!

Re: ANOTHER HIC Building Party! Burlington, Ontario - March 18

I think Gil might be here around 9ish, but any time Sunday is fine. :) We'll be headed to Hope Depot at some point but aside from that we'll be in the garage all day.

So I had another productive day on poor Han. :)

Sadly, early in the morning I got a call from Gil, his foot was so swollen he couldn't stand! Needless to say it got lonely in that garage but here's hoping he has a speedy recovery. :thumbsup

So here's a little build entry for today:

The last pic from day one I had everything sitting together but not fastened, so it looked like we finished much more than we actually did. First thing I had to do today was finish routing the side panels. I used the side we had already finished as my template. The first side was created by making a single template with the jigsaw and using it four times. This was that original master:

6848326900_34d97665b8.jpg

Next I cut some struts to support the top plate and then drilled holes for the dowel joinery on the ends. Most builds I've seen just use screws to fasten the box together but I like dowels because they're clean, strong, easy, and don't require filling in the finishing stage.

6994458405_93379d0cc2.jpg

The overall plan has the top plate sitting INSIDE the surrounding box so that I can add the trim flush with the rest of the box later. This pic shows what I mean:

6994460273_d5f754621e.jpg

Next was glue for the joints and some clamps! You can never have too many clamps...

6848407258_03a407c544.jpg

Next I had to place the struts to make sure they fit and then screw them in with L brackets. These will hold the top plate in place recessed in the box. Then I stood her up to make sure she stands level. She does!

6848328830_3defb6afb5.jpg

Then I cut the trim pieces and positioned everything on top for a dry fit. Perfect! The top panel here isn't attached, nor are the trim or Han.

6994446647_7077b29426.jpg

After that I fastened the top plate to the struts. I think I'll add a vertical strut as well for added strength but it stands really nice without it. I then laid everything down nicely and he's sitting almost perfect in my garage. UNFORTUNATELY my wife thought it would be a good idea to steal my camera to take pics of the kids feeding ducks. Not only that but she brought it back with a dead battery :rolleyes

So...

Here's a pic of my kids with a duck. :lol

6848407240_9030946fef.jpg

That's all for today folks! I'm out of town next weekend but I'm hoping to work on this again soon. :)

Fantastic work....
After spending the day flat on my back, and icing my foot, these pics were a real lift! :)

Just makes it harder to stay away...

Looking forward to the next build day. You have no idea how much it hurt me to make the call. Was looking forward to getting back to your garage all week! But it just means the net time i get there will be all the more sweeter! :)

Great work... :)

-Skyler101

Re: HIC BUILD THREAD - Next build day April 1?

I've coverted this to a build thread now. Next tentative build day is Sunday, April 1st. Gotta check my schedule though. :)

Re: HIC BUILD THREAD - Next build day April 1?

Time for you to recover! :lol

Weekend with my wife away from the kids next week... Good times! :love

I'll be back on my feet at no time. Was thinking once the HIC is up, you can store me in it between build days!

Weekend away huh... Whats that you told me? "Everyone comes to Canada for..." :lol:facepalm:lol

-Skyler101

Re: HIC BUILD THREAD - Next build day April 1st!!!

Checked with the wife and April 1st is official! Hoping to have her all ready for adding the carbonite and then painting by the end of that day. Will we do it?

I'm in...

Got to cut up some dowels during the drying times....
Have you stuck Han down?

-Skyler101

I'm in...

Got to cut up some dowels during the drying times....
Have you stuck Han down?

-Skyler101

Not yet, I need to do some sanding of the top plate on the edges first. Han will be secured before our next build date though, don't want to waste any time. :)

Seeing as he's rubber what do you think I should use for adhesive? Would "No Nails" cut it?

Seeing as he's rubber what do you think I should use for adhesive? Would "No Nails" cut it?

Not sure what "No Nails" is... Maybe someone else can answer this questions.
We could always set it one one of his feet first! :)

-Skyler101

Already looking forward to this weekend... :D

Gotta glue Han and the trim down on Saturday so that we can do the finishing on Sunday getting it ready for paint!

Your telling me... Im getting buggy not having worked on the old HIC for a few weeks now...

Really looking forward to it... And starting on that other side project! Cant wait!

-Skyler101

OK I'm back and I'm in! What time Mike, and what tools do you need?

Looking forward to seeing you there Neilo1....

Bring your favourite prop for some "show and tell!" :)

-Skyler101

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back