Help! Foam costume questions

Question

Hi all

I'm working on a War Machine suit for halloween but I'm having a lot of trouble cutting the foam pieces where it has to be 45 degrees to adjoin other pieces (as instructed by Stealth). They come out quite jagged making the final product, when hot glue together, look like there's gaps in the seams. Does anyone have any cutting tips they can recommend? Or is there some sort of filler material I'll be able to use after wards to make the seal the seams?

Much appreciated!

Good luck. I've been asking that question for nearly a month now, and I can't get an answer that is useful.

So far, I've been told:

1) Use a longer blade
2) Use sharp blades ( duh )
3) Use a $20 45 degree foam cutter ( USELESS, don't bother )
4) Use scissors ( you think your cuts were jagged to begin with? LOL )
5) Use a box cutter
6) Use your teeth
7) Use magic

I'd love to know how ALLLLL these people cut their foam so perfectly. I've tried everything myself, and have wasted far too foam. Halloween is fast approaching, and I've got nothing done on my Iron Man costume. =(

All people can tell you is what works for them, you do not need to be rude about it, be thankfull you have had people try to help.
Not you will probably find this usefull because either you can do it or you cant, but all I do is score the line you are wsanting to cut lightly with your knife then simply hold the knife at an angle and cut again 2 or three times, each time a little harder, doing it this way I can 45 degree cut I have also been able to get 60-70 degree cuts aswell. I would gladly video myself making a cut like this if you want. This way you will see you don't need any fancing cutters just simply the one knife.

1. Depending on how thick is your foam too.
Cutter is good for 10mm foam, X-acto is good for 6mm. For 8, sometimes I use smaller cutter blade.
2. Practice, practice, practice (on scrap foam, don't waste it)
3. I enjoy angle cutting using scissors now. As for jagged edge, try not to snip it, instead slide when it is almost the end of "snip". Jagged edge normally happen on curved angle. Burn technique might help to clean it up (see my tips thread).
4. Helagak's tip on marking the angle cut will also help in giving the distance between actual cut line and the actual outline, so it can be a guidance on the blade angle while cutting.
5. While writing this, I saw familyman already post his comment just before I hit submit. He also got a nice tip on cleaner join (which is the goal of angle cut too).
6. If you're using bondo, don't worry about making it perfect. It'll be perfected by bondo/filler anyway.

I am working on an Iron Man as well. What I did was use scissors to make a rough 45 degree angle cut then used my dremel, with a polishing stone bit, to smooth that edge and sometimes make it even more defined depeing on the part.

This is my first time as well and didnt think to use the dremel until into a few peices so will probably start over. It did waste some foam but considering I can get a large roll of it at Big Lots for pretty cheap I wasnt too upset. Practice makes perfect and dont be afraid to try different things. If all else fails cut out the peice again and have another go at it.

All people can tell you is what works for them, you do not need to be rude about it, be thankfull you have had people try to help.
Not you will probably find this usefull because either you can do it or you cant, but all I do is score the line you are wsanting to cut lightly with your knife then simply hold the knife at an angle and cut again 2 or three times, each time a little harder, doing it this way I can 45 degree cut I have also been able to get 60-70 degree cuts aswell. I would gladly video myself making a cut like this if you want. This way you will see you don't need any fancing cutters just simply the one knife.

I think one of the issues is, this is one of those techniques that must be passed on visually. And there really isn't very much in the way of foam building on Youtube. Or noone really expands on the tricks etc in those videos. They kind of just assume everyone knows how to do it properly and breeze over it.

I just barely did my first foam pep project, and although I definitely am not an expert, I ran into the same problem. For me the solution is to always be using a sharp blade. A really sharp one. Either get a new blade once the edges become jagged, or sharpen your old one (I use some 1500 grit sandpaper to sharpen mine. 3 passes and it cuts like butter--but only for a few inches. So when I'm doing careful angle work, I re-sharpen every 10 seconds or so).

Good luck. I've been asking that question for nearly a month now, and I can't get an answer that is useful.

So far, I've been told:

1) Use a longer blade
2) Use sharp blades ( duh )
3) Use a $20 45 degree foam cutter ( USELESS, don't bother )
4) Use scissors ( you think your cuts were jagged to begin with? LOL )
5) Use a box cutter
6) Use your teeth
7) Use magic

I'd love to know how ALLLLL these people cut their foam so perfectly. I've tried everything myself, and have wasted far too foam. Halloween is fast approaching, and I've got nothing done on my Iron Man costume. =(

How about we come there and build it for you?....

You're a RARE breed but Once in a while we get one of you
The exact kind people who don't appreciate information provided for the community.

Sorry that scissors don't work. Guess you have zero patience with them. (Or anything else for that matter)
They work GREAT for me.

How about...maybe it's you?

I think one of the issues is, this is one of those techniques that must be passed on visually. And there really isn't very much in the way of foam building on Youtube. Or noone really expands on the tricks etc in those videos. They kind of just assume everyone knows how to do it properly and breeze over it.

The issue is....This isn't a tutorial website and you don't get that concept.
People choose to help and use their free time to show you how to do things.
you're welcome

you've wasted all this time complaining instead of finding a solution on your own.
You won't accomplish building a suit with that lousy attitude.

I really wish you could see yourself and how ridiculous your "demands" and comments sound
take your "gimme gimme gimme" attitude somewhere else.

Last edited:
I rightly was saying to myself, if Stealth happened to come around here he would blow a fuse :D.

It's true that the first tool we all need is a wheelbarrow of patience. When we cut foam, it's almost a kind of surgical act, we don't work as if we were triming the hedge. If it takes you 20 seconds to cut 1 inches long cleanly, then resign yourself no to cut faster.

In some cases, slowness is the only way to build fast.

Last edited:
It's called trial-and-error . . .

Do you honestly think that everyone simply picked up a piece of foam and did it perfectly the very first time ?? While there may be a small handful of people of whom this may apply, the VAST MAJORITY took the time - and utilized patience - in working through the process until they arrived at what worked best for them.

This is exactly what YOU have to do - that is, if your intend is to build your own costume. Otherwise, I am sure you can find someone who might be willing to help build pieces for you - for a price.

Either way ... learn to communicate with a bit more respect and work on your patience level.

you could watch Laams video on making iron man's shin and slow down the video while she's building it to see how she did it?

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I appreciate all the tips and I guess the one thing I wanted to be sure of was that I wasn't alone in my frustration. I guess I've watched all these amazing youtube videos of people cutting foam with ease that I thought I must've been doing something wrong ha ha.

Right now, I'm currently sharpening my scissors every few cuts or so (with aluminum foil). That seems to be doing the trick for now. Maybe I'll pick up some sandpaper when i run out of foil lol

Hopefully when I seal / paint it will hide some of the imperfections. If my costume doesn't turn out too crap maybe I'll even post some pics of later on.

Thanks again

To both Stealth, and CaptainMarvel. You two need to take a heaping tablespoon of your own advice. I never said anyone owed me ANYTHING. Nor did I come across that way, so take a chill pill.

You both act like I haven't spent hours wasting money trying every way people have mentioned to cut a 45 in foam. The truth is, if I didn't care, my suit would have been built by now. Trouble is, when I dry fit after a cut, and see that it isn't perfect, I'm not happy and I won't carry on with that piece. I'm glad that X method works for you. Truth is, it doesn't work for everyone, and a large contingent on these forums lately have been having the same problem. If I was competent in putting together a suit like some of you guys do ( which I've gave you your due kudos on, AND thanks for the videos you HAVE put out Stealth ) I'd put out my own video to help all the guys struggling. Unfortunately, I haven't found a method that works well enough for my standards.

If I ever do figure it out, I'll be sure to share as well.

Last edited:
To both Stealth, and CaptainMarvel. You two need to take a heaping tablespoon of your own advice. I never said anyone owed me ANYTHING. Nor did I come across that way, so take a chill pill.

You both act like I haven't spent hours wasting money trying every way people have mentioned to cut a 45 in foam. The truth is, if I didn't care, my suit would have been built by now. Trouble is, when I dry fit after a cut, and see that it isn't perfect, I'm not happy and I won't carry on with that piece. I'm glad that X method works for you. Truth is, it doesn't work for everyone, and a large contingent on these forums lately have been having the same problem. If I was competent in putting together a suit like some of you guys do ( which I've gave you your due kudos on, AND thanks for the videos you HAVE put out Stealth ) I'd put out my own video to help all the guys struggling. Unfortunately, I haven't found a method that works well enough for my standards.

If I ever do figure it out, I'll be sure to share as well.

like I said, you need look at yourself. The fact you don't see how rude you are is beyond comprehension.

if you're that picky, then it's you.

don't blame the advice people have given you. You come off so unappreciative

Look how many people have completed suits. There are tons of them.

Cutting foam is not rocket science.
You're extremely overcomplicating something so simple that even beginners have been able to pull off.
Just use some common sense.

I don't need to take any of my own advice because I've never acted like a spoiled brat who needed spoon feeding like yourself.

Last edited:
like I said, you need look at yourself. The fact you don't see how rude you are is beyond comprehension.

if you're that picky, then it's you.

don't blame the advice people have given you. You come off so unappreciative

Look how many people have completed suits. There are tons of them.

Cutting foam is not rocket science.
You're extremely overcomplicating something so simple that even beginners have been able to pull off.
Just use some common sense.

I don't need to take any of my own advice because I've never acted like a spoiled brat who needed spoon feeding like yourself.

23531-right-m-net-wait-you-mad-bro-jpg

Oh dear me. Meme imgs wont get you anywhere.

Triton - you said

"Good luck. I've been asking that question for nearly a month now, and I can't get an answer that is useful."

Unfortunately this comes across as being rude, even if in your head, its not. If you dont see that, you have a poorly developed communication style, and will find it increasingly difficult to operate both in forums like this, and the real world, until you realise differently. What you are effectively saying is:

"No-one here is helpful"

Just have a re-read of things before you post and try not to sound PO with people, and you'll get along fine.

I am a complete noob to both this forum and costume building. I tried a few different methods of cutting foam. Some worked, some didnt. I continued till I found one that did. Scissors.

I actually had to try several pairs of scissors till I found some that were both sharp enough and met closely at the ends (to get that final SNIP where angles change 90 degrees). Scissors used for needle work tend to be well made and sharp.

If nothing is working, try a different foam.

Final thought - If you dont have the patience for any of this, or the ability to problem solve relatively simple things like this, then costume building is not the hobby for you. There are bigger challenges further along than just cutting the foam, which youll also need to work out yourself. It is very rare that a suit is created in EXACTLY the same way as someone else. Most are amalgyms of several techniques, and some of the creators own that they have had to develop.

Last edited:
a meme?... I rest my case..

should have known you were just a troll.

*goes back to actually making things*

Last edited:
Im also new at this foam costume making. But what i do is i trace my pep files on the foam then i put some line marking or dots on the side that needs to be on 45 degrees. then i cut it directly on the foam. If it still doesn't fit well,i sand it a little bit with a sand paper or use a dremel sander. I hope this can help you. I want to post my works here but i still don't know how to post some pics here. hehe. Good luck. :)

Im also new at this foam costume making. But what i do is i trace my pep files on the foam then i put some line marking or dots on the side that needs to be on 45 degrees. then i cut it directly on the foam. If it still doesn't fit well,i sand it a little bit with a sand paper or use a dremel sander. I hope this can help you. I want to post my works here but i still don't know how to post some pics here. hehe. Good luck. :)

Yah I'm doing this too now. Between this and the super sharp scissors there's a vast improvement. I think I can start working on the helmet now without making it look too badly ha ha

Just a tip from my own experience too. Make the helmet last. Your foam skills will be twice as good by the time youve made the whole thing, and the helmet is the thing people look at the most. Start with the simple and less obvious pieces. The forearms, hand shields, boots etc.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back