Help Find! Original Treasure Planet Map Design

View attachment 1452087View attachment 1452090View attachment 1452089View attachment 1452088View attachment 1452085View attachment 1452091

Posting a bit of an update I've been working on the mechanical pen parts for the majority of the time but I think I've finally got a system that will work reliably for this! I also was able to reduce part count by including a section of the mech in the core of the map itself. I then spent probably a good week or two getting a bump map figured out for the surface texture, I think I still need a few tweaks for the finer detail but overall I'm really happy with how it's turning out! I am getting a more ABS-Like Resin on monday so that should help prevent scratching ect. and I think for a finish I'll likely be using a metallic powder and rubbing over the surface and then doing a matte clear coat. I think I'd like to do a run of these but with over 100 parts and finishing time required I'm still unsure of the cost. I also would like to test this on an FDM machine but don't it would likely need to be done on a 0.1 mm extrusion to minimize the friction on the mechanics. Oh I did also get spring and screw hardware in and that'd been working great! I even made room for springs being the screws so that there is a little bit of play like there is on a rubix cube! Hope to finish a completed version by end of may but we'll see! :)
How much would you want for one of these? Or the STL files?

Please let me know as well when the printed run is available, though honestly I'm more interested in buyng a copy of the 3D models to make my own. I guess i'm from the school of enjoying the fabrication process as much as the final product. I understand IP value, so I'd be willing to sign any non-commercial agreement as I only plan to make one of these. Looking forward to hearing more!

Last edited:
I've been trying to model the map in 3D, and unfortunately while every angle of the first map(/hero prop) is shown in the movie, the surface symbols cannot be made out on around 20% of the maps surface.

Here's a screenshot of what I've been able to map it out so far, and a work in progress 3D render:
View attachment 1304649 View attachment 1304650 View attachment 1304651
The parts highlighted in blue are the parts that I've been unable to get a good enough look at in the movie to accurately map out as of yet.
So I too would love to get a good look at the original map files.

But from what I can gather there's a distinct band of densely packed symbols around the equator of the map, and the symbols become larger and more spread out the further from there they are.
Wow this is gorgeous! I've been looking everywhere for this map but nothing gets even remotely close to this quality! I'd love to try and print this myself, would you mind sharing the model?
Regardless tho, it's truly amazing, I can't imagine the ammount of work you put in mapping out all those glyphs!

I've been trying to model the map in 3D, and unfortunately while every angle of the first map(/hero prop) is shown in the movie, the surface symbols cannot be made out on around 20% of the maps surface.

Here's a screenshot of what I've been able to map it out so far, and a work in progress 3D render:
View attachment 1304649 View attachment 1304650 View attachment 1304651
The parts highlighted in blue are the parts that I've been unable to get a good enough look at in the movie to accurately map out as of yet.
So I too would love to get a good look at the original map files.

But from what I can gather there's a distinct band of densely packed symbols around the equator of the map, and the symbols become larger and more spread out the further from there they are.
I am obsessed with this! I've been looking to upgrade the one I made quite some time ago and this is perfect. I would also like to express interest in the file for personal use, if you are willing to share it.

View attachment 1452087View attachment 1452090View attachment 1452089View attachment 1452088View attachment 1452085View attachment 1452091

Posting a bit of an update I've been working on the mechanical pen parts for the majority of the time but I think I've finally got a system that will work reliably for this! I also was able to reduce part count by including a section of the mech in the core of the map itself. I then spent probably a good week or two getting a bump map figured out for the surface texture, I think I still need a few tweaks for the finer detail but overall I'm really happy with how it's turning out! I am getting a more ABS-Like Resin on monday so that should help prevent scratching ect. and I think for a finish I'll likely be using a metallic powder and rubbing over the surface and then doing a matte clear coat. I think I'd like to do a run of these but with over 100 parts and finishing time required I'm still unsure of the cost. I also would like to test this on an FDM machine but don't it would likely need to be done on a 0.1 mm extrusion to minimize the friction on the mechanics. Oh I did also get spring and screw hardware in and that'd been working great! I even made room for springs being the screws so that there is a little bit of play like there is on a rubix cube! Hope to finish a completed version by end of may but we'll see! :)
I am 100% interested in this, for either a run of finished pieces or sell the use for personal use. I don't know where the project is at for that point, but if there's a list put me down because I must have one.

Has anyone here heard from AustinHicks recently? I've been trying to contact him about the file for his Treasure Planet map with the full runes, but aside from two-message introduction on ArtStation back in March I haven't been able to get in contact.

Truth be told, I have well over twenty different people emailing me to ask for the Treasure Planet map model alone. Add to that all the emails I get about my other models, and it'd be just far too time consuming to answer them all.
Especially since, my reply wouldn't change anything, since it'd be something along the lines of "I'm not currently selling or sharing any models not currently for sale on my Sketchfab".

In the event I decide to do another run of sharing this model, I'll let everyone know. But until then, I'll likely be radio silent about it.

Truth be told, I have well over twenty different people emailing me to ask for the Treasure Planet map model alone. Add to that all the emails I get about my other models, and it'd be just far too time consuming to answer them all.
Especially since, my reply wouldn't change anything, since it'd be something along the lines of "I'm not currently selling or sharing any models not currently for sale on my Sketchfab".

In the event I decide to do another run of sharing this model, I'll let everyone know. But until then, I'll likely be radio silent about it.
Ah gotcha! Alright, thanks for the update/clarity, I really wasn't sure what the case with it was.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back