Heiland Darth Vader saber conversion.

Ok got the clamp pretty much finished and im really happy with it the only issue I have is that it dosent tighten when you close the lever. I may have the lever pin too far foward. I can turn the lever and tighten it that way. If I had a clamp I could reverse engineer it but this will do for now. Opinions welcome!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
the only issue I have is that it dosent tighten when you close the lever.

That sounds like a real MPP clamp to me!

4 things:

1. Are you freaking kidding me? Skills, man. Serious skills. I'm going to hire you, thd9791, and a couple of the guys in that custom saber thread to build me a working version of one of those mech things from Avatar.
2. I think the non-tightening issue is somewhere in the angle of the arc in relation to the placement of the lever pin (not the threaded part, but the lever hinge pin), just like you've said. Maybe a combination of moving the hinge pin axis forward as well as a hair closer to the arc...a direct side shot pic would help diagnose it.
3. Where are you located?
4. It really does sound like a real MPP clamp lol.

Thanks! Yeah Im really happy despite the way the lever came out! I'm tempted to start a thread just for the clamp documenting the build. I think if I move the lever pin up and toward the out a little more than that will solve the problem.
Instead of the mech from Avitar I say we build a Power Loader from Aliens! Lol

Only thing I would add is a plastic shroud on the inside of the clamp. I would suggest two old film canisters cut in half, or something similar with a lip.
canister.jpg
MPP.jpg
This is what you want to end up with.
Best of luck!

Good to know Roy! more updates on the clamp. Don't like how the lever moves around. The"pin" as I call it is a pop rivet shaft. It felt too loose. So I looked in my hardware boxes and came across these little peices that I used as a sleeve to keep the lever screw from moving around. I enlarged th holes in the lever a little, pushed the sleeves in one in the top and one in the bottom. Then with a little trial and error put the pop rivet shaft through the sleeve. Tapped it in with a hammer. Trimmed the other side and good to go! Pics will explain it better!

- - - Updated - - -

The film canister is a good idea. Tried it but it the diameter is too small to wrap all the way around. Perhaps some black plastic folded over then cut off just after the fold?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 97
Outstanding work on that clamp! I have a Vader Heiland conversion sitting on a shelf in my office and its been there for about a year because I don't know what to do about the clamp. Blast-tech doesn't make them any more and ordering from Parks scares the crap out of me. Seeing what you've done, I may have to try my hand at making one.

Ok got the clamp pretty much finished and im really happy with it the only issue I have is that it dosent tighten when you close the lever. I may have the lever pin too far foward. I can turn the lever and tighten it that way. If I had a clamp I could reverse engineer it but this will do for now. Opinions welcome!

I think I missed something, did you find a test lever that looks like an MPP lever?! What'd you use for sidebars too?

I will quote Andy and say OUTSTANDING when it comes to fabricating this clamp. Bending/making those corners has always intimidated me. You deserve more exposure for this, bumping the thread

Thanks so much for the compliments! I made the lever using 22 gauge steel. The sidebars are aluminum flat bar just under 1/8th of an inch thick whic I bought a ing time ago for another project. There are more pics but I had trouble loading them. I was thinking about posting this in a thread by itself but didn't want to double post.

Ok here it is the clamp is finished and painted with krylon fusion satin black. Once dry completely I will use clear packing tape on the inside of the clamp so it dosent mar the finish on the Heliand. Here's pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 111
Just an FYI sort of update since we're talking about the clamp; Parks no longer has any MPP clamps. Not sure if its a temporary thing or not. I got the last one that their distributor JQ Sabers (in the UK) has in stock. They told me they can't get anymore from Parks. Looks like this part is becoming increasingly harder to find.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back