Head Goonie Back to the Future Denim Jacket (2021)

These new versions (2021 and 2023) are pretty much more accurate to US sizes. I normally wear US size L. I own a 2018 XL and a 2021 L. The 2018 XL fits more like US M - L. I'm 5.9.
Also with the 2021 large size does it still fit slightly baggier then a Regular large ( like the movie jacket should? )

Also with the 2021 large size does it still fit slightly baggier then a Regular large ( like the movie jacket should? )
Yes, it is supposed to look baggy due to its design. My personal three rules for the Marty jacket fit are:

1. The jacket hem should sit a little below your waist (if wearing a high rise jeans, it should sit way below the jeans' waist)
2. The rolled up sleeves should sit around your wrists (when your arms are lowered).
3. The vest should fully cover the jacket's body. Besides the sleeves ( obviously), only the collar and the from buttons of the denim jacket should be visible.

Yes, it is supposed to look baggy due to its design. My personal three rules for the Marty jacket fit are:

1. The jacket hem should sit a little below your waist (if wearing a high rise jeans, it should sit way below the jeans' waist)
2. The rolled up sleeves should sit around your wrists (when your arms are lowered).
3. The vest should fully cover the jacket's body. Besides the sleeves ( obviously), only the collar and the from buttons of the denim jacket should be visible.
cool , thanks , I measured up a jacket I have that has a Similar fit to how the Marty one should ( the jacket I measured was a medium members only jacket and it was in terms of pretty much all measurements within a cm or so of the headgoonie large jacket so I think it might be safe to go with a large ? ( don't wanna have to ship the jacket back to Japan if its the wrong size lol so I've been trying to do a bit of research )

I've just gotten mine yesterday. I thought I should share it. Here are some comparison images (left to right) between the 2018, 2021 and the new 2023. I hope you find them useful.

The design of the 21 and 23 is the same. At first, I thought the only change was the color of the lining on the sleeves (a little more yellow). But it is hardly noticeable. That was a bit disappointing.

Actually, the biggest change is on the main fabric. It is more blue than grey. And you can't see the vertical lines as on the 21 model. The blue parts are a bit darker on the new one. Not dark enough IMHO. It also feels just a bit lighter in weight. The fabric is a bit reflective depending on the lighting conditions. Almost as velvet looks.

The buttons do not have that "punched" look as on the 21 model. I asked Heaadgoonie about it and I'm still waiting for their reply.

I still like the colors on the 2018 version more.

Does it worth upgrading? I honestly don't know. It is a very different looking jacket. I guess it is just a matter of preference.

Is it the most screen accurate? Noy quite yet. But it is still the best replica out there.

Polish_20231206_010301737[1].jpg

2018 , 2021, 2023
Polish_20231206_011740701[1].jpg

Polish_20231206_004659432[1].jpg

I've just gotten mine yesterday. I thought I should share it. Here are some comparison images (left to right) between the 2018, 2021 and the new 2023. I hope you find them useful.

The design of the 21 and 23 is the same. At first, I thought the only change was the color of the lining on the sleeves (a little more yellow). But it is hardly noticeable. That was a bit disappointing.

Actually, the biggest change is on the main fabric. It is more blue than grey. And you can't see the vertical lines as on the 21 model. The blue parts are a bit darker on the new one. Not dark enough IMHO. It also feels just a bit lighter in weight. The fabric is a bit reflective depending on the lighting conditions. Almost as velvet looks.

The buttons do not have that "punched" look as on the 21 model. I asked Heaadgoonie about it and I'm still waiting for their reply.

Does it worth upgrading? I honestly don't know. It is a very different looking jacket. I guess it is just a matter of preference.

Is it the most screen accurate? Noy quite yet. But it is still the best replica out there.

View attachment 1767555

2018 , 2021, 2023
View attachment 1767554
View attachment 1767553
The blue shoulder and pocket pieces are actually almost spot on to the real thing on the 2021 jacket. HG 2021 on the left. Genuine Guess vest in the right colors on the right.
A1F6049F-BAD1-4266-B400-EDD39794FA3E.jpeg

View attachment 1767555

2018 , 2021, 2023
View attachment 1767554
View attachment 1767553
Thanks for sharing. Where’d you get the buttons from?

So, the 2021 is the closest we get in terms of replicas? Impressive! I guess I will keep both. Thanks for sharing this.
I’d say yes, but take into account that the vest I was able to see in person is 40ish years old. Colors can change. But as it stands now, they got the color almost perfect.

View attachment 1767555

2018 , 2021, 2023
View attachment 1767554
View attachment 1767553
Interesting, just as I feared... it's less accurate than 2021!

The denim pattern is the real confusing part. That vertical pattern on the 2021 jacket is just like real Guess jackets, and is so important in making it look accurate. Headgoonie was the only replica that got it right and they got rid of it! Look how much more accurate the 2021 jacket looks compared to the real thing.
1702398635157.png

Interesting, just as I feared... it's less accurate than 2021!

The denim pattern is the real confusing part. That vertical pattern on the 2021 jacket is just like real Guess jackets, and is so important in making it look accurate. Headgoonie was the only replica that got it right and they got rid of it! Look how much more accurate the 2021 jacket looks compared to the real thing.
View attachment 1769167
Bu the blue is better in 2018 and 2023... and the they need to brighten the grey, albeit the right vertical pattern.

The blue shoulders and pockets flaps on the 2021 is nearly identical to the real thing. I compared them in person.
They really did do a fantastic job on the 2021 jacket, unfortunately it took a comparison to the real thing for people to realise. Hopefully they go back to their original design albeit with a lighter grey, someone needs to reach out to them.

They really did do a fantastic job on the 2021 jacket, unfortunately it took a comparison to the real thing for people to realise. Hopefully they go back to their original design albeit with a lighter grey, someone needs to reach out to them.
I actually did. I messaged Miki Ooyagi on his personal Facebook and he said if they make another jacket they will use my notes and pictures. They need to adjust some shapes, use smaller snap fasteners, and overhaul the color of the main body. Basically do what they did for the 2018 jacket, but choose a more accurate dye color. Then fade it how they did back then.

Last edited:
Someone recently pointed out to me the spacing for the snaps on the pocket flaps and I forwarded that to him as well. The distance from the edge. Most replicas have them right up against the stitching in the corners.
617818EE-456C-448A-A0F0-8C718C21EEB4.jpeg
35DA2679-89AE-4398-AD6C-D24EB7893284.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back