HALO Master Chief Costume Progress Thread (helmet rebuild begins on p.19)

where did you get 1) the original visors? 2) the cellophane in that color (I suspect I could grab some from work if I had to)?

The visors are custom-made. I vacformed them in 1/8" acrylic and then used mirrachrome paint on the inside to make them reflective.

I'm still focused on the helmet redux. Unfortunately, my workshop camera has died. I've got a new one on the way, but for now here's a crappy cellphone snapshot of the helmet as it looks right now:

Here's another shot showing the new and improved details under the brim:

Progress will continue Monday. I still have to make the inserts for the cheeks, cut guide holes where the headlights go, smooth out the back end of the whole thing, and come up with a separate piece for the black part on the nose.

Stay tuned...

Smoothing, detailing, and re-shaping is done. Now I'm on to making it shiny again:

Tomorrow I'll wet sand it and give it an even shinier coat of plurple. Then I'll stick a faceshield in the face hole and it'll be time to start making rubber.

Stay tuned...

Running a bit behind on this, but yesterday I started work on the jacket mold:

Today work will continue.

Stay tuned...

Thanks. Let me know if you decide you need some of my parts.

I keep forgetting to update this thread. Since my last post I've pretty much finished the new helmet mold. Here's a shot of the first half with all of the rubber built up:

Once I'd laid up the mothermold, I flipped the whole thing over and prepped the second half for molding:

Here's the print coat poured on the second half:

Finally, here's the second half of the mother mold:

Yesterday was a lot less productive than I'd hoped, but with any luck I'll have pics of the fresh pulled castings next time I post.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've also started work on the EVA helmet from Halo 3:

Last edited:
Man I'm loving that paint finish!! I get my Master Chief suit next week, so this thread makes me excited :D

You're not getting it from me? *Bummed*

The new helmet mold came out great. Here's the inside of the front half:

Here's a closeup of the first casting showing the only real cleanup work it needs:

I figure I could have the mold parting line completely wiped out in about two minutes with some 150-grit sandpaper.

Here's a shot of me wearing it for scale (again, I'm 5'7" tall):

Now I can concentrate on v2.0 of the medium torso mold. Stay tuned...

Very nice. Nice black! :cool

How much room are you going to leave in the spaces between you and the armor you're making? What kind of undersuit? When I do mine, since I've been looking around, I think I'll be trying to make a custom one as non of the ones out there really suit my needs or tastes.

I think you may have missed the last dozen or so pages. I've already finished making the armor, produced numerous suits, and made my own undersuits to go with them. Please go back and check. I may have already answered your questions.

That said, I'm not really thrilled with the way the undersuits looked and I may rework them too if I get really motivated.

Progress:

EDIT: REAL PROGRESS...

Today I started tinkering with the visor prototype:

It's made using the typical dual visor method. Here's the inner layer being glued into the back of the outer layer:

The visors I used this time around are made for Gath windsurfing helmets. You can see them HERE.

Once I've got them polished and all of the dust is gone, I'll be making a mold so I can make a couple of vacforming bucks and crank out a few more copies. This means I'll finally have an accurate visor with the appropriate raised and beveled edges:

This new shape combined with the mirroring I'd already figured out should make for one heck of a finished piece.

Last edited:
Great attention to detail I must say and your shop looks like it has goodies for days I would like to have. Keep up the great work mate

The fact that you're doing this and the Space Marine simultaneously blows my mind. Not to mention whatever else you may be working on. I bow to thee, o great one.

I've still got to make up a mold so I can make bucks to form the visors. I'll offer a few up for sale once I've got them.

I didn't do much with the helmet redux over the weekend. Mostly I concentrated on making a new schnozzwidget:

The last thing I did with it was a quick coat of black primer:

I'll probably give it a coat or two of gloss before I mold it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back