Guardians of the Galaxy Star Lord jacket - standard leather jacket modifications

Has anyone considered a slight color shift and then airbrushing the "printed" pattern on the leather jacket?

A thing the ladyfriend pointed out to me was that vegetable net mesh bags have close to the right pattern on them, I think.

netbag-46x60mm-color-100pc-1bale-mgt05_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

Vegetable_Net.jpg

It would probably be too ambitious to say that you could take this net and get it to somehow lay flat and even on the panels of the jacket you wanted to airbrush.

Applying fabric ink or paint to leather is not the problem. It is those bloody holes throughout the area in which the print should be. When the Kurachi factory started cranking these things out they put holes where the print should be on our jackets.

It may be easier to simply silkscreen some material and try to sew it in ontop of the leather. The pleather ones may work much easier.

Has anyone attempted to undo some of the stitching to see whether or not the thread holes would disappear or could be made inconspicous? I ask because I would like to mod certain sections but it requires pulling out stitching.

I think the holes would be visible if you remove the stitching - this could be lessened with some pecards or leather creme, but they would still be there.

Here's another very simple mod I've just done to my jacket; adding a leather piece to the zipper. As with most everything on this jacket, it's NOT screen accurate by any means, but rather 'in the style of'. I found a small piece of leather lying around which was exactly the same colour as the jacket.

From Matt Munson's video:

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 14.35.27.png

My mod:
zip.jpg

Looking again at the SU jacket, it looks more like a piece of leather cord with something wrapped around it to hold it together...I might rethink this mod and try again - the good news is, it's a very easy piece to remove and re-do.

Last edited:
If you notice the cuff of the sleeves are simply glued inside. The lining is sewn into the leather ends. So what I have done is removed the lining stitching and pulled out the leather. Now I am going to add the point as it is on Starlords sleeves. After that resew the lining back into the leather. Simple mod. No pics yet because I haven't made the leap but this weekend is dedicated to bucket, blasters, and jacket.

There are a couple of new versions of the jacket appearing on eBay, one from Dynamic Leather is a better match to the cut of the real prop. I waiting to see Magnoli's jacket but this looks like a good low cost option.

They have two different auctions running for jackets, one listed for $79.99 which only has the movie stills. The other auction is listed at $154.99, and features two photos of their jacket plus the movie stills.

I was also wondering about the "dynamicleather" jacket on ebay. There's also one from seller "trading.plus" which looks like the same jacket, even the same pictures, but with a darker skinned model (photoshopped?).
My other question is about the jackets from seller "dealsandstealz," which also is listed as "second skin." Looks just like the fjackets offering, but it offers synthetic and real leather options. The synthetic is almost half the cost of the fjackets coats. I'm almost willing to risk it due to the cost, but I've heard nothing about the jackets here, while the fjackets seem to be getting good reviews (though still not close to screen accurate).

It's worth noting that, to date, the only jackets I've seen from ALL suppliers use exactly the same pattern - whether it's leather or 'pleather..

The jackets are made in the far-east and shipped to the various suppliers (fjackets or whatever) then resold as 'their' product.

- - - Updated - - -

Capn Jack - great idea for a simple mod! Please post some pics when you can, very interested to see how that works out!

Al

I've got a pretty good shot of that pull tab, I'll start my own thread and post all of the pictures I took in the next couple days. Going to need one for my own build anyway, when I get going on it.

The dynamicleather2 eBay listing has been changed and the photos of their jacket removed, the pictured jacket was definitely not the same as the ones posted elsewhere nor the movie jacket. Seems a little dodgy at this point.

Maddog, thanks. Good to know. It seemed a little sketchy, so I'll probably go with fjackets given the positive responses here.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back